IDE : Adding vue (see 2 codes at same time)

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Golfy
User
User

IDE : Adding vue (see 2 codes at same time)

Post by Golfy »

I use many IDE (Visual Code Editor, Visual Studio, Bracket, Atom, CodeLobster and Notepad++) and there is a great function to see 2 codes, side-by-side.
It would be great if the Purebasic's IDE could manage a similar option. Maybe 2 windows, maybe a split windows, or anything else.

Many thanks
Golfy
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: IDE : Adding vue (see 2 codes at same time)

Post by Bitblazer »

I have been using UltraCompare and Winmerge for years. A build in functionality like that, would be nice, but not sure if its worth the effort. Helping to advance Winmerge to work better with PureBasic, might be a more effective solution. I mention both products here as references to what i use for years to solve this everyday task and maybe help or inspire other users.

looking for a new side project in another language while also helping Purebasic? Why not help the Winmerge people for their next release?
Last edited by Bitblazer on Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

Golfy wrote:I use many IDE (Visual Code Editor, Visual Studio, Bracket, Atom, CodeLobster and Notepad++) and there is a great function to see 2 codes, side-by-side.
Has been around for years in PB IDE: Tools > Compare File/Folder

Golfy wrote: It would be great if the Purebasic's IDE could manage a similar option. Maybe 2 windows, maybe a split windows, or anything else.
Split Window: +1

(Like Notepad++ View > Move Clone Current Document > Clone to Other View)

I'd like to have too, Document map (View > Document Map in Notepad++)
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

Imo, this feature isn't as useful as one might think due to the fact that we are already limited at where we can force a line break.

I find it a struggle to keep things under 80 columns. And even where I do manage it, it can end sacrificing legibility due to the restrictions on where line breaks within an expression can occur.
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

I used multiple views in Netbeans and used it usually beneath each other (horizontally split) so the long/short line issue is not really directly related to that.
skywalk
Addict
Addict

Post by skywalk »

Yes, due to long lines, I prefer splitting files in Top and Bottom panes.
But, WinMerge uses Left and Right panes. So, I am always scrolling left and right to see the deltas.
The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from. ~ Andrew Tanenbaum
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

For a diff this makes more sense yes. When I have a dual monitor setup available I sometimes strech the diff window over both monitors, with the splitter in between :)
Josh
Addict
Addict

Post by Josh »

Mistrel wrote:Imo, this feature isn't as useful as one might think due to the fact that we are already limited at where we can force a line break.

I find it a struggle to keep things under 80 columns. And even where I do manage it, it can end sacrificing legibility due to the restrictions on where line breaks within an expression can occur.
And what does that have to do with Golfy's wish?

Can you please stop stuffing the'Feature Requests and Wishlists' forum over and over again with the same wishes, warming up your own wishes over and over again and repeating your own wishes in other threads that have nothing to do with the original request?

here (incl. self warmed up after 3 years)
here (incl. self warmed up after 2 years)
here
here

That should be enough threads to place one wish here in the forum. Is it absolutely necessary that you now also abuse foreign threads, which have nothing to do with your wish at all? I've said it before. Stop looking at the'Requests and Wishlists' forum as your own property made just for you.

What's wrong with you? Do you have no spouse, parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, friends or anything else to cry about? Please do it where you want, but don't stuff all the wishlists with your endless repetitions.

On the other hand, I don't understand at all what you still want here, since you say you work mainly in another programming language and only use PureBasic for small hobby projects.
sorry for my bad english
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

@Josh
And could you maybe calm down a bit and stay polite? Your agressive behaviour is quite peculiar.
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Post by Mistrel »

Josh wrote:And what does that have to do with Golfy's wish?
I will often provide references with citations for additional information on a related topic where people can continue reading about if they choose to.

I've been ignoring your responses because they have been rude and an inappropriate public display. If you have a personal issue with me then please message me privately.
Josh
Addict
Addict

Post by Josh »

Maybe I write in an aggressive style. But you shouldn't confuse cause with effect.

You assume here in this thread that Golfi's request is pointless because your wish (which definitely has nothing to do with this request) has not yet been fulfilled. An absolute insolence.

You're worse than a toddler at the supermarket screaming because he wants candy. My children quickly realized that the screaming is useless and perhaps even counter-productive. I'm afraid you don't get it.

Why should I write you a PM? I will answer you here in the forum as long as you try to impose your wishes in such an aggressive style and believe that the Wishlist forum is only made for you.

According to your own statement, you rarely use PureBasic, since you have found a programming language that is more suitable for you. Let me put it this time as a question. What are you still doing here and why are you crying all the time in the Wishlist Forum, if you have found a better programming language?
sorry for my bad english
Golfy
User
User

Post by Golfy »

Thanks Josh and Mistrel but could you use PM messages to avoid flooding on my proposition ? you're each constructive but seems to have a different on the way to be helpful :wink:

@Marc56us thanks for the workaround but it would be better if not yellow or red backcolored. You're right with Notepad++ Clone to other view.
Marc56us wrote:I'd like to have too, Document map (View > Document Map in Notepad++)
+1
Great idea !!!
#NULL wrote:I used multiple views in Netbeans and used it usually beneath each other (horizontally split) so the long/short line issue is not really directly related to that.
yes, I agree with both vertical or horizontal view
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Josh wrote:What are you still doing here and why are you crying all the time in the Wishlist Forum, if you have found a better programming language?
PureBasic is the "Hotel California" of programming languages: you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. ;)