Any Plan for PureBasic for other popular platforms

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
LiK137
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any Plan for PureBasic for other popular platforms

Post by LiK137 »

I think PureBasic for Android, IOS would have not less chance to be loved by at least existing users.
Now I use other BasicLike and very popular language which is capable producing Android, IOS, Java and Arduino executable. But every time I say myself this is last time I use this programming tool.
That Not As simple As PB, unlike PB it prevents on concentration on programming.
Anyway, I hope to see PB has (at least) Android version.
And I would like to know reason why it hasn't been implemented yet (At least profit point of view)
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Any Plan for PureBasic for other popular platforms

Post by Bitblazer »

webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
Paul
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Paul »

Unfortunately SpiderBasic for iOS or Android is really no better than wrapping a web page and losing functionality due to not having a mouse.
It does not create a true mobile app experience, where as B4x products do ;)

I really hope SpiderBasic can get to that level but it seems to be a long way off.
Image Image
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

Anyway, I hope to see PB has (at least) Android version.
Yes, that would be nice, but I think it's technically difficult.
PB is an ASM code generator that then uses the target platform compiler to generate the standalone EXE

The Android native language is Java

For PB to generate Java code, the team would have to redevelop all PB from scratch.
Or create an interpreter that should be installed on android, as other products do.
It would also be necessary that each developer install Java + the android SDK.

So PB would becom a labyrinthine system, so contrary to his current philosophy Light, fast, easy, clear and that allows the programmer to know what's really going on in the program (that's why we like it)

For Arduino, I don't see what programming in PB could bring? an Arduino card has between 16 and 256 KB (yes, KB, not MB) of flash ram (= hard disk)
Aren't you mistaken for a Raspberry PI card? which has the capabilities of a PC, run Linux but works with ARM processors and therefore does not support PB

:wink:
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Marc56us wrote:The Android native language is Java
Its not that simple. The native language is machine language, but android supports many architectures (MIPS, x86, arm in different versions, ...). You can actually write android apps in C++. However without the Java framework you cannot create much of the native GUI. However, you can access the Java Objects from C++ and call functions from Java via Java Native Interface (JNI). Also the final application has to be packed into a zip file renamed to apk with specially structured content. On iOS it is a ipa file.
bye,
Daniel
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Paul wrote:Unfortunately SpiderBasic for iOS or Android is really no better than wrapping a web page and losing functionality due to not having a mouse.
It does not create a true mobile app experience..//..
I disagree, SpiderBasic uses Cordova which enables you to access device capabilities that aren't available to web pages. It is a true mobile app experience but with an HTML5 UI.
Personally I wish we could create HTML5 UIs for PB, compare ListIconGadget() with Tabulator for example.
Kiffi
Addict
Addict

Post by Kiffi »

the.weavster wrote:Personally I wish we could create HTML5 UIs for PB, compare ListIconGadget() with Tabulator for example.
maybe this will be useful to you: https://github.com/spiderbytes/Tabulator

Greetings ... Peter
Hygge
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Kiffi wrote:maybe this will be useful to you: https://github.com/spiderbytes/Tabulator
It certainly is :D

Thanks, Peter.
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by bbanelli »

DarkDragon wrote:You can actually write android apps in C++.
Is there any sane and usable tutorial/guide to start such? I really detest Android's Java mess, but would have nothing against trying C++ for some simpler apps...
"If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge."
Henry Spencer
https://www.pci-z.com/
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

bbanelli wrote:
DarkDragon wrote:You can actually write android apps in C++.
Is there any sane and usable tutorial/guide to start such? I really detest Android's Java mess, but would have nothing against trying C++ for some simpler apps...
I think the first thing you need to know is that there are many methods to build an app with C++. First of all, the NDK build environment evolved over time. The old method to build the C++ project was using a ndkbuild utility which read Android.mk makefiles. Nowadays you'd use cmake makefiles and the cmake delivered with the NDK. Also you can use the compilers directly from the NDK folders (default and my preferrable way) or use standalone toolchains for each and every architecture. You can actually create a simple project using C++ in Android Studio, this should show how everything works. But as I said before, you will never want to escape Java completely, since the whole GUI stuff is only done in Java. You can however wrap these objects and handle them in C++ if you want. What you will mostly need are these two pages:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/t ... niTOC.html
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/t ... signatures

Another way is using Qt, however I doubt they use native controls and just draw alien widgets.
bye,
Daniel
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by wilbert »

Won’t Java have the advantage that ART can optimize for the processor the device contains ?
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

wilbert wrote:Won’t Java have the advantage that ART can optimize for the processor the device contains ?
Java has the advantage of JIT compiling, which can for example do loop unrolling such that it fits exactly into the processor cache. There are pros and cons for Java just as for every language. ART is not the only runtime available on Android. Dalvik is the old one. ART preoptimizes apps statically (precompile + JIT, but precompilation per device), while Dalvik did everything dynamically (plain JIT).
bye,
Daniel
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Is ART still relevant now Android uses OpenJDK?
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

the.weavster wrote:Is ART still relevant now Android uses OpenJDK?
I think this should explain the current state quite well: http://gluonhq.com/android-moving-openjdk/
bye,
Daniel