[Forum Request] - A 'Like' button or similar.

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
pjay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

[Forum Request] - A 'Like' button or similar.

Post by pjay »

I've spent the last few weeks getting back up to speed with PB, catching up on the forum and seeing a *lot* of good & valuable code snippets being posted by a lot of individuals.

If I was to post on each of these threads now to say "thanks", "great job" or so on, there'd be dozens of old posts here being pushed up to the top in a very short period of time, which I don't think is good forum etiquette & therefore I don't do it.

I'm not sure if phpBB offers this, but if we could add a "like" or similar button to the posts then I could offer my appreciation for peoples time & efforts without feeling like I'm spamming the forum.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: [Forum Request] - A 'Like' button or similar.

Post by BarryG »

Was first asked in 2014 but never happened -> viewtopic.php?p=446526#p446526
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

The problem with third-part extensions is they don't age well. When the dev abandon it, and a phpBB update occurs, it can be broken and the whole feature needs to be removed. We had a few in the past and we removed them all when migrating to phpBB3
pjay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by pjay »

Shame - Where's that 'Don't like' button when I need it... :lol:
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

:lol:
Axolotl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Axolotl »

Hi pjay,
I understand your thoughts.
As an alternative, you can of course post your programs (parts of them) here and credit the "original authors" with comment lines.
I think most people will find that okay.
And as a value for the community, the next one learns from it again......

Happy coding and stay healthy.
Mostly running PureBasic <latest stable version and current alpha/beta> (x64) on Windows 11 Home
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

I'm highly against that as every community I've been on which established a karma system or any form of counting reputation got toxic very quickly. People are focusing on being the one with most likes at the end and people are pulled together in their ideology, as nobody wants to be behind. You're being trained to follow the general consent of the community and every deviation is being punished by absence of upvotes or even downvotes. Just look at Stackoverflow or Reddit for example.
bye,
Daniel
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

Even if you do this temporarily, for a period of 4 years, you can get excitement on the forum, a desire to post good code, and receive feedback. Not everyone will write a thank you text, cluttering the topic, but they can like it.
Last edited by AZJIO on Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normeus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by normeus »

Fred said it would be a pain to add something that might need updating from time to time, so forget about a like button.

If there is ever a chance to add something to the forum, I would like a "THANK YOU" button. There are so many people here that share great code all the time, and direct message sounds like an intrusion if you only want to say "THANK YOU".

Any way, THANK YOU to all you guys who answer questions and post code.

Because of work, I have to program in a different language, but I sure love sneaking to the PB Forum, copying a few lines of code that has been posted, and watching magic happen in a second, without waiting 6 to 10 minutes for all dependecies to compile. ( I am talking about you c#)

Thank you.
Norm.
google Translate;Makes my jokes fall flat- Fait mes blagues tombent à plat- Machte meine Witze verpuffen- Eh cumpari ci vo sunari
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

STARGATE did something like that a while ago for signatures in the German forum.

https://www.purebasic.fr/german/viewtopic.php?t=23990

You could simply add it to your signature to get a "thanks" counter.
bye,
Daniel
AZJIO
Addict
Addict

Post by AZJIO »

normeus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:19 am I would like a "THANK YOU" button
normeus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:19 am so forget about a like button
I don't even need to answer.
Demivec
Addict
Addict

Post by Demivec »

normeus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:19 amIf there is ever a chance to add something to the forum, I would like a "THANK YOU" button. There are so many people here that share great code all the time, and direct message sounds like an intrusion if you only want to say "THANK YOU".
I'm also in favor of a THANK YOU button. People also may equate that with a LIKE button but i dislike the LIKE button idea for the same reasons DarkDragon mentioned. (@DarkDragob: Nice to see you post in the English forum. It's been quite a while since your last post here.)

A THANK YOU button would be a better option than tens of messages saying each Thank you, such as fir each update of a code or app. An example is the PureBasic releases. Nothing wrong with posting a message but if you just want to show appreciation I think a button can help show that and avoid the possibly unwanted dilution of the topic.

I also think a THANK YOU would work well so that old threads are not bumped when someone wants to express thanks because they found a solution in an old topic.

Since Fred mentioned some undesirable issues with the mods that allow additional things such as Likes and Thank Yous I don't think we will see either one.
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

normeus wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:19 am Fred said it would be a pain to add something that might need updating from time to time, so forget about a like button.

If there is ever a chance to add something to the forum, I would like a "THANK YOU" button. There are so many people here that share great code all the time, and direct message sounds like an intrusion if you only want to say "THANK YOU".

Any way, THANK YOU to all you guys who answer questions and post code.

Because of work, I have to program in a different language, but I sure love sneaking to the PB Forum, copying a few lines of code that has been posted, and watching magic happen in a second, without waiting 6 to 10 minutes for all dependecies to compile. ( I am talking about you c#)

Thank you.
Norm.
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

+1
DarkDragon wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:54 pm STARGATE did something like that a while ago for signatures in the German forum.

https://www.purebasic.fr/german/viewtopic.php?t=23990

You could simply add it to your signature to get a "thanks" counter.
+1