Scintilla Update to v3.7.6 (before migrating to v4)

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Zach
Addict
Addict

Re: Scintilla Update to v3.7.6 (before migrating to v4)

Post by Zach »

I think that's where the whole debate is.

The version included with PB right now doesn't require the DLL when compiled, because it's included as an internal library from source code.
But since apparently it has other dependencies in later versions, you'd be requiring people to either include those files, or require users of their software to install them (I mean let's be honest, they should have them anyway if they use any number of windows apps and keep their system updated)
DoubleDutch
Addict
Addict

Post by DoubleDutch »

That's what I thought too, I made a Windows program that used Scintilla and gave a copy to someone who did not have the dll (I started it without pointing to a dll). It would not work. When I gave them the dll (and pointed to it) it did.

The latest version just requires the scintilla.dll - unless you want to do syntax highlighting of other languages - then you have to include a second dll.
https://deluxepixel.com <- My Business website
https://reportcomplete.com <- School end of term reports system
kenmo
Addict
Addict

Post by kenmo »

I wonder if future PureBasics could ship with newer Scintilla (4.xyz) - but also provide older Scintilla (3.xyz) as an optional subsystem? Like the "opengl" and "qt" subsystems, etc.

Then most users could enjoy updated Scintilla, while providing legacy Scintilla for farther backwards compatibility (32-bit MacOS, Windows without the latest runtimes, etc.)
Tristano
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Tristano »

Zach wrote:The version included with PB right now doesn't require the DLL when compiled, because it's included as an internal library from source code.
I believe it does require the DLL, because building Scintilla as a static library has always been problematic under Windows.

If the program is running as expected even without the DLL in its folder, it might be just because you have a Scintilla DLL in your system path (either from the PB distribution, or via some other app).

In any case, to prevent "DLL Hell", you should always include the correct version of the Scintilla DLL along with your compiled app, to avoid problems in case the user has a different DLL version on his/her path.

I don't remember if the PB Scintilla Library actually carries out some checks for the DLL version, but since many users have reported shipping their Windows app with a DLL taken from the Scintilla official distribution package I guess it doesn't.
The PureBASIC Archives: FOSS Resources: