Bring debug window to front after execution

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
nalor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bring debug window to front after execution

Post by nalor »

Hi!

Something that I would really appreciate:

A setting to bring the debug window to front after execution.

I know there's a setting to "Keep all debugger windows on top", but this is not what I want. On a computer with just 1 one screen this does not make sense because the debug windows would be in front of the main-window all the time.

Usually I code something, execute and after execution I'd like to check the results in the debug-window - but unfortunately the debug window returns always to the back after execution, bringing the main window to front.

I'd like to see a setting to keep the debugger window at front after execution (without keeping it topmost all the time).

Thanks!
oreopa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Bring debug window to front after execution

Post by oreopa »

You probably know about it, but in case you dont, you can always route debug output to the error log. I find this more useful. In fact I never use the debug window unless I absolutely must evaluate some expression during stopped execution.
Proud supporter of PB! * Musician * C64/6502 Freak
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

nalor wrote:I'd like to see a setting to keep the debugger window at front after execution (without keeping it topmost all the time).
There's an IDE setting to open the Debug Output window when your app starts, if that's what you mean? Preferences -> Debugger -> Default windows. Enable it, and whenever you compile/run your app, the Debug Output window will open at the front.

Otherwise, maybe https://www.purebasic.com/documentation ... utput.html :?:
nalor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by nalor »

Unfortunately none of this options is really satisfying:
  • Redirect to error log
    Is a workaround, but personally I like the debug window :)
  • IDE setting to open the Debug Output window when your app starts
    This does not change anything when the execution ends - the main purebasic still get's the topmost window at the end
  • Command ShowDebugOutput
    Combined with the option "Bring debugger windows to front when one is focused" it's nearly doing what I want, but still not exactly:
    -> I need to add an additional command at the end of each application, not really what I had in mind
    -> and the window is in front, but is not the active window - the main window is still the active one, so to bring the main purebasic window to front I need to first click into the debug window to make this one active and now I can activate the main window again ...
So finally I'd still appreciate a new setting in the preferences 'Keep debugger window at front and active after execution'
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

nalor wrote:I'd still appreciate a new setting in the preferences 'Keep debugger window at front and active after execution'
Hmm, I don't quite understand what you mean. :( If it's being "kept at front and active", that's basically staying topmost, which there is a setting for; it just won't always be "active" (ie. have the focus) because your compiled app, or any other window, will take the focus immediately. So can you better explain what you mean?
nalor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by nalor »

Just try yourself:

Code: Select all

debug random(100)
and execute it:
# the debug window will open
# display the expected output
# the execution ends
# and the main-editor window will come to front again - hiding the debug-window

The setting 'Keep all debugger windows on top' keeps them on top all the time, this is not what I want.

I want to keep the debug-window on top when execution ends (do not bring main-editor window to front after exection) - but still be able to click in the main-editor window to activate it and bring it to the front.
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Now I get it. :) When you're saying "after execution", you mean when your app ends; not when it executes (starts).

Good request, because it seems the IDE takes back the focus when our apps end, so it should be trivial for a preference setting to make it the Debug Output instead.

+1
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

nalor wrote:I want to keep the debug-window on top when execution ends (do not bring main-editor window to front after exection) - but still be able to click in the main-editor window to activate it and bring it to the front.
Currently, there is already the possibility to click at the minimize button of the Debug output window. Doing so brings the main editor window to the front.