PureBasic Compiler for RaspBerry Pi

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
holzhacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PureBasic Compiler for RaspBerry Pi

Post by holzhacker »

With the growing popularity of the Raspberry Pi by numerous projects in various automation fields around the world. And more recently with the official support and support Cannonical (Snappy Ubuntu Core) and Microsoft (Windows 10), as seen in: http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

I believe that strategically the PureBasic could make efforts to support these platforms.

I suggest selling the new compiler, or even an effort to donations to make this dream a reality. I would donate to more than once for it.

Sorry Fred, I know this has been discussed in other threads, but with the fantastic popularity of this low-cost platform, this being a nuisance to migrate our PureBasic systems for Pascal (Lazarus) or Python to meet some customers here in Rio January. I know you have great work to support it, the more I believe that by strategy very worth the effort.

Read this as a suggestion and understand that many would support in testing and financially this endeavor.

Sorry for my broken English, I am a long time without practicing and so I'm using a translator.

Thank you and congratulations on the fantastic work at all so far supported.
Greetings and thanks!

Romerio Medeiros
romerio@gmail.com
bbanelli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: PureBasic Compiler for RaspBerry Pi

Post by bbanelli »

I am successfully deploying PureBasic compilations on 86Duino (Vortex EX core), Intel Edison, Intel Galileo (2) and Windows 8.1/10 x86 based tablets. Pretty broad range of specific platforms.

Hopefully, by achieving higher integration and lower power consumption, ARM will go to history, where it belongs.
"If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge."
Henry Spencer
https://www.pci-z.com/
Shield
Addict
Addict

Post by Shield »

Don't forget that PB is developed only by Fred himself with support from Freak,
adding another completely different compile target might just be too much.

Apart from that, IMHO, it would make much more sense to compile to one of the widely used intermediate
code representations, e.g. the JavaVM, .NET or LLVM. For PB, LLVM might be more ideal
than the others. If you search here in the forums, you can find more information about it
and even a statement from Fred.
Blog: Why Does It Suck? (http://whydoesitsuck.com/)
"You can disagree with me as much as you want, but during this talk, by definition, anybody who disagrees is stupid and ugly."
- Linus Torvalds
holzhacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by holzhacker »

As I said is only a suggestion for the extraordinary Range that the Raspberry Pi is gaining.

I've read several statements about it, but, as I said is a suggestion to which I would like to contribute with donations and testing.

If we think of Windows 10 to raspbery Pi can be traumatic, most Linux systems already supported and now with the support of Canonical repositories with official support ubuntu, I think it would be less traumatic because all required libraries are in the ARM platform, even with a partial support, it would be very handy.
Greetings and thanks!

Romerio Medeiros
romerio@gmail.com
Shield
Addict
Addict

Post by Shield »

Well that is one "problem" with PB. The major advantage of PB compared to a lot of other programming
languages is the well balanced command set that gets you started quickly with all sorts of tasks without
having to fiddle around first. Of course this comes with the additional maintenance overhead for the team.
For me, a stripped down version of PB would be nothing of value, though I can see the appeal it might have
for some if it ran on the PI. :wink:
"You can disagree with me as much as you want, but during this talk, by definition, anybody who disagrees is stupid and ugly."
- Linus Torvalds
Bananenfreak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bananenfreak »

Why not a new product like Spiderbasic? And also you buy a RaspBasic per year; RB 2015, 2016,... .
I think a small Price (~15€) would give many People a try and perhaps they also would buy PB and/or SB.

But this would be very much work. I´m not Fred, but for me it would be too much work.
It´s not only renaming PB - Yeah, here´s our new Software - this would include many things, started with the Compiler for ARM (One step to Android :twisted: )

If I were Fred, I would give it a try and look around what´s to do for a "RaspBasic". Perhaps it´s not so much we think (Except the Compiler)?
Danilo
Addict
Addict

Post by Danilo »

Wouldn't Android, iOS, Win8/10 Apps make more sense? It would cover 99% of the consumer market,
some billion people and devices. Ah, right. We discussed that topic already... ;)
holzhacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by holzhacker »

Yes Danilo, but before the Rasp had not won this dimension it has today. He was born to encourage the teaching programming (more focused on python is true), but has been gaining ground in several areas where Android is not present. Just look the craziest and various inventions, some just for learning or for a laugh, but others with a Range fantastic market.

So I still think that a PB compiler for Rasp would bring enormous visibility to the PB and take advantage of the massive growth of this plafaforma that to what I see here to stay. (Python is very good but we adopted PB for all that the PB is here and we do not like much of Python and a lot of people hate as much as Delphi for example). I myself could command a campaign to raise funds for this without problems, many companies have made this model with Canonical for example. When Ubuntu did not give support something was financed desenvelver and fill the gap of interest in that company or market sector.

We have applications here Access Control, POS, financial control, bluetooth marketing, all made in PB. And we are having to migrate eg POS for Free Pascal (Lazarus), because we have an important client who wants to adopt the Raspberry Pi in its 135 checkouts (for energy savings, final cost, etc. - the sheet that he did convinced us - and are to exchange all PCs, as today's are older almost all Celerons)

To minimize this migration, the GUI's are going to HTML5 and part of access to serial ports on Lazarus, is getting very good, but with the PB would certainly even better, smaller and faster everything.

Sorry revive the matter more for believing are different times, and for all linux libraries already ported to ARM, I thought it would be interesting to exchange more ideas on. :wink:

And all discução ideas :idea: is welcome.
Greetings and thanks!

Romerio Medeiros
romerio@gmail.com
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

If Pi2 is running Win10, surely HTML5 and JavaScript will be available in a browser? If so, you can use Spider Basic or something similar.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
Shield
Addict
Addict

Post by Shield »

Running software in a browser on the Pi is probably one of the more useless things you can do as you don't get
any access to the Pi's features such as GPIO manipulation and other hardware stuff that's kind of required for most situations.
It could possibly be somewhat useful if you get the JS code to run in a JS VM outside of the browser to get at least file access,
but if you have to do that you might probably be better off just using another programming language entirely.
- Linus Torvalds
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Hmm - Ruby or Python depending requirements.
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
KeauHou
New User
New User

Post by KeauHou »

IdeasVacuum wrote:If Pi2 is running Win10, surely HTML5 and JavaScript will be available in a browser? If so, you can use Spider Basic or something similar.
The thought alone is quite horrible.
I doubt you'd want to develop on a "slow" RISC platform running the windows kernel, on top of that the windows userland, a browser and a javascript interpreter.
That's at least 4-5 subsystems/abstractions away from the raw hardware, which is nowhere near as fast as a low-end x86 processor.
Even on my fast i5 CPU Javascript applications always feel a lot more sluggish and unresponsive than native applications.

If you really need or want to develop for a platform like this: why not use an appropriate tool like C, C++ or even Python on Debian on the RasPi?
User_Russian
Addict
Addict

Post by User_Russian »

It would be better have created PB for ARM, instead SpiderBasic. It is much more useful!
Program, running in the browser almost no what is not capable besides computing and display the results. No access to hardware!
holzhacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by holzhacker »

SpiderBasic is getting very good, and will be very helpful to us here as well. We are not using it because we want to buy the final version when it is released, because we conclude that SpiderBasic + CGI done in PureBasic will be very powerful.

But for all the reasons that I mentioned earlier, I am cheering for one day reach a PB compiler for ARM. In my case, I think the Raspberry Pi would be the best gateway to it :idea: , especially now with giants such as Canonical and Microsoft announcing support to their systems on the platform.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Greetings and thanks!

Romerio Medeiros
romerio@gmail.com
holzhacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by holzhacker »

KeauHou wrote:
IdeasVacuum wrote: If you really need or want to develop for a platform like this: why not use an appropriate tool like C, C++ or even Python on Debian on the RasPi?
Believe me, the Raspberry Pi B + just running the X and the application as a toten with the GUI solution for AJAX calls and CGI to access the hardware (POS printer - the serial port) is shown with very satisfactory performance.

Now with NEW Raspberry Pi 2 officially launched earlier this month with quad-core processor 900MHz and 1GB of RAM (which we have not received those bought for testing) believe that performance was not and will not be any problems.

There is a great deficiency of IT professionals here to take advantage of the professionals who have the best and quickest solution was this same.

But that would be a dream just recompile our system that is made 100% in PureBasic (Windows / Linux) for the ARM (http://arm.flatassembler.net/) and correct any problems, that would be fantastic. ;)
Greetings and thanks!

Romerio Medeiros
romerio@gmail.com