ElDiablo — to deal with your daemons [Windows]

Applications, Games, Tools, User libs and useful stuff coded in PureBasic
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

ElDiablo — to deal with your daemons [Windows]

Post by Lunasole »

A time ago I had such idea to organize all my stuff running in background into single interface. Recently I coded one for that.

- to be short, ElDiablo is a multi-threaded host-process to launch and manage your .dlls doing something less or more useful. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(computing)). It has enough advantages against all other ways to handle such (typically small) programs.
By structure It is similar to common plugin-based system which you can see in many apps, but unlike typical plugin interface, this is extremely simple, clear and brings almost no any limits or rules to follow. The idea is to write your dlls as they are standalone executables.

For now you can get it here (http:/geocities.ws/lunasole). Also several "daemons" included with their sources.
Additionaly, check readme.txt for more info.

// the host itself is closed-source while I'm interesting to write it by myself

Have fun if find it useful/interesting

Last edited by Lunasole on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Re: ElDiablo — to deal with your daemons [Windows]

Post by Bisonte »

you have to check the download.
The file is blocked cause maybe Ad/Mal/Spyware or Virus...
this message came from Firefox (I think the server said this) not from any plugin or antivirus program...
PureBasic 6.10 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
English is not my native language... (I often use DeepL to translate my texts.)
W4GNS
User
User

Post by W4GNS »

Bisonte wrote:
this message came from Firefox (I think the server said this) not from any plugin or antivirus program...
Chrome also blocked it.
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

Last edited by walbus on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

@W4GNS @Bisonte
I don't know why Firefox & Chrome blocking it. rghost.net is just a russian file exchange server and here it opens fine both in Chrome and Firefox. Also I already used it to host phys engine bindings here on forum, no one said about blocked download.
Anyway currently I have no other ideas where to store file without lot of ads, etc (and without need to register), so nothing to do. Later I will update my homepage and post files on it, but don't know when it will be having no time.
walbus wrote:http://www.virustotal.com write :

K7AntiVirus Spyware ( 000293611 ) 20160203
K7GW Spyware ( 000293611 ) 20160203
Qihoo-360 QVM11.1.Malware.Gen 20160204
TheHacker Posible_Worm32 20160202
What about that, a couple of stupid pseudo-antiviruses cannot even regognize UPX i guess (it is packed with it, as I pack most of my executebles). You should listen to Kaspersky and more respectable tools, not to those no-names (they often raising false-positives on any Purebasic-compiled .exe, or even any .exe they didn't seen before, lol).

I'd post whole sources for this app to show it is clear, but while I'm interesting to enhance it by myself I will not do that. So you should decide believe pseudo-anti-viruses or not.

That app I made for myself, but found interesting idea if someone will write some dlls and we can share that stuff, that's why posted it here
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Just updated the file with minor changes: added basic tray support. Just to hide window and not waste a screen space ^^
Also it allowed even more decrease CPU usage by not updating GUI while hidden to tray. So the daemon itself CPU usage is close to 0%, as it should be. [ < 0.02% on my system with 4 daemons active]
Now it is fully usable with that, additional functions will come later.

Have fun, If someone find it useful/interesting I will continue to post newer versions here
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

Already the use of GetAsyncKeyState (or other things) can produce a false positive virus warning

I think that know almost all here ...

Keep it cool :wink:
Bisonte
Addict
Addict

Post by Bisonte »

And don't use UPX to pack... ;)
That's also already known to produces false positives !

What is wrong with ZIP to pack.... ?

BTW: The browser blocked the download. If I want or not... no chance for me to download in this case.
PureBasic 6.10 LTS (Windows x86/x64) | Windows10 Pro x64 | Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus | R9 5900X | 64GB RAM | GeForce RTX 3080 TI iChill X4 | HAF XF Evo | build by vannicom​​
English is not my native language... (I often use DeepL to translate my texts.)
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

Yep Bisonte say it !

Looking here, as sample - Wikipedia write :
Unmodified UPX packing is often detected and unpacked by antivirus software scanners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPX
Samuel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Samuel »

Lunasole wrote: Anyway currently I have no other ideas where to store file without lot of ads, etc (and without need to register), so nothing to do.
You have to register with them (only need an email address and a name) so maybe it's off the table, but Dropbox is the best file hosting site I've seen by a long shot. There are no ads, it's easy to use, and if I'm remembering correctly you get 2 gbs to work with.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

walbus wrote:Already the use of GetAsyncKeyState (or other things) can produce a false positive virus warning
Nothing used of additional APIs, only several to manage threads (cause Purebasic built-in are limited a bit and not allowing doing things like calculating CPU usage, or controlling priority fully in Windows-specific style). There are a lot of tools you can see what app doing btw, API monitors, Process Monitor and so on.
walbus wrote:And don't use UPX to pack...
I just checked, the results for version without UPX are almost the same:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/3c59 ... /analysis/
Makes no difference to use it or not, adequate anti-viruses recognizing it correctly, and poor anti-viruses in both cases raising alert.

So my opinion, you should fully ignore what these questionable "antiviruses" like TheHacker or ByteHero (lol) saying about your executable.
It is bit more reasonable to listen Agnitum, Avast, NOD32, DrWeb, Malwarebytes, Microsoft, Kaspersky. If none of them triggered there is no problem.

@Samuel thanks, I hear a lot about dropbox, but anyway don't like to any registration. that rghost is more preferable to drop random files, it only limits the size of 100 mb (but limitation of file lifetime to 90 days is not nice)
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Updated to a newer version adding several minor things.
I'm experiencing troubles with that ListIcon control, didn't find a better way to associate data with list items than adding "Path" field.
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Just found some time to greatly improve this small thing and now it really looks cool as for me, especially that nice stuff with subclassed menus allowing to forget about handling separated tray icons for every single daemon.

See changelog if interesting. Also added one more daemon example with sources, there is much more of them but they are specific to me, unlike those 2 ^^

The file in 1st post updated.