FontInfos

Applications, Games, Tools, User libs and useful stuff coded in PureBasic
boddhi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FontInfos

Post by boddhi »

ImageImage

Small unpretentious tool displaying a preview and some informational data of an OTF, TTC or TTF font.

Rather, it was designed to be called via the context menu command 'Open with' (it accepts a file name as a parameter) but can be used too as standalone tool, in which case, the user have to select the font.

The example text can be modified after losing focus of the dedicated field or pressing the F5 key.
The 'Escape' key also closes the application.
Possibility, in Admin mode, to permanently install/uninstall fonts.
You can drop a font file in the Filesource name StringGadget to load it too.

IMPORTANT: For speed's sake, the data reading routine only works with metadata rather than from the tables that detail some of them (notably, for the glyphs). However, some of the information displayed, extracted from the data compiled in the font, may not always be totally accurate, because it may have been incorrectly entered by the designer or badly encoded by the authoring software. This is more true when the font is old, especially for Panose data and Unicode ranges (this is what I've found). If most of the metadata are correct, some of them may be incorrectly encoded or incorrectly indicated by the creator. The latter is the most frequent case. Panose data or creation and modification dates, for example, are the responsibility of the creator.

And occasionally (but very, very rarely), I've noticed some anomalies in the data: The description of Panose families does not always correspond to their real type, or creation and modification dates are set to 0 (equivalent to 01/01/1904 00:00:00) or prior to the end of the 80s, which is obviously impossible because the format was created at the end of the 80s.

So it's not necessarily a tool malfunction.

The routine for reading this data has been tested on over 180,000 font files. I think it's sufficiently mature, but if you notice any crashes, please let me know and give me the name of the font (and even better, if possible, send me a copy for analysis).
It can be downloaded below. Sorry in advance, the names of variables and procedures and the debug value strings are in French, but you can find a translation of the Arrays and Maps rendering the data in English here.

Routine for reading data
Translation of arrays and maps

FontInfos for Windows x64
Last edited by boddhi on Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
boddhi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FontInfos

Post by boddhi »

New version : Preview text field replaced by editable drop-down list with some predefined example strings