[IDE Tool] History Viewer 2.20 [Win & LINUX]

Applications, Games, Tools, User libs and useful stuff coded in PureBasic
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

[IDE Tool] History Viewer 2.20 [Win & LINUX]

Post by HeX0R »

History Viewer is your private version controling system for the PB-IDE.

With History Viewer you:
  • see all of your changes in any source, so it is quite easy to restore any of your older versions
  • can freeze versions of released projects (you can also add binaries belonging to the versions)
  • allways have backups of your sources
  • can check, when you changed something
Installing is easy, just extract it, where you want it to be and doubleclick the hv.exe.
It will take you by the hand then.

Updating under Windows is also easy:
Open History Viewer, go to ? / Check for update and sit and wait ;)

You should first go to Preferences/Special Tasks and "Create all missing historys of a sourcecode folder".
Then select your main-folder, where all of your sources are and let History Viewer create the first versions (the masters).

There is also a template folder with two sources inside.
You can create your own templates for showing the sources.
Maybe you can help me here:
I am unhappy with the HV_Template_wLines.pb.
It looks o.k., but i also want to be able to select lines without selecting the linenumbers.
A coloured output would also be nice...

O.k., the file and screenies are there:
<-Windows Version->
<-Linux Version->
There is also a note about, how it is working.

Now waiting for Feature requests and bug reports...

Newest version is V2.20
Last edited by HeX0R on Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 18 times in total.
spikey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: [IDE Tool] History Viewer 2.0

Post by spikey »

Looks very interesting - could be just what I was thinking about writing for myself - so perfect timing! I will have a play with it. I'm doing version control manually at the moment cos the usual suspects are far too complex for my needs but I don't always get it right...

I had trouble getting it to install to begin with - it reported that it was successfully installed but hadn't actually modified the tools.prefs file. I had to navigate to my C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\PureBasic folder rather than the C:\Program Files\PureBasic folder to get it to install properly.

I see I can remove individual files from the history - but there doesn't seem to be a way to remove a folder. I've got some subfolders kicking around that I don't need to version so it would be nice to be able to remove them from the list.

Thanks...
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

spikey wrote: I had trouble getting it to install to begin with - it reported that it was successfully installed but hadn't actually modified the tools.prefs file. I had to navigate to my C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\PureBasic folder rather than the C:\Program Files\PureBasic folder to get it to install properly.
If it finds two tools.prefs (one in appdata and one in the folder you specified) it asks you, if you start this purebasic install as portable version.
If you answer this question with "yes" it will install into program folder.
I guess you overread this question or didn't understand what is meant.
Many people have more then one install of purebasic, one main and a few older versions which store their data in the programfolder.
spikey wrote: I see I can remove individual files from the history - but there doesn't seem to be a way to remove a folder. I've got some subfolders kicking around that I don't need to version so it would be nice to be able to remove them from the list.
Yes, that is not implemented yet.
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

spikey wrote: I see I can remove individual files from the history - but there doesn't seem to be a way to remove a folder. I've got some subfolders kicking around that I don't need to version so it would be nice to be able to remove them from the list.
O.k., i changed the behaviour a little bit:
Deleting folders doesn't make much sense, cause the next time you edit a PB-File within one of those folders, the history will be created again.
Therefore i added the possibility to send folders (and/or files) to a ignore list.

Besides i had to fix the install routine.
I guess i were drunk, when coding this beast, now it should just work as expected...

The whole Changelog:
  1. Added possibility to ignore files/folders
  2. Fixed installation (sometimes it won't install in the PB IDE)
  3. Added possibility to rebuild Database
    (when deleting historys/binaries, the database won't get any smaller, so you can now make use of the rebuild function)
  4. Some internal fixes
Download as allways from my site:
http://hex0rs.coderbu.de
Last edited by HeX0R on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder93
Addict
Addict

Re: [IDE Tool] History Viewer 2.01

Post by Thunder93 »

Very impressive tool, thank you very much HeX0R!

I have a quick question, when manually saving, shouldn't it be saving a new version?

w/PureBasic 4.51
ʽʽSuccess is almost totally dependent upon drive and persistence. The extra energy required to make another effort or try another approach is the secret of winning.ʾʾ --Dennis Waitley
Thunder93
Addict
Addict

Post by Thunder93 »

HV End works but HV Save simply doesn't do anything that I can see. Maybe it doesn't like x64 Windows? :?
ʽʽSuccess is almost totally dependent upon drive and persistence. The extra energy required to make another effort or try another approach is the secret of winning.ʾʾ --Dennis Waitley
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

You can view created historys with hv.exe, but anything else will only work, when started as PB Tool.

The Save-Parameter does nothing but adding the changed file into %APPDATA%\hv\hv.prefs.
Then, when closing the IDE, the historys will be created/added (if anything really changed)
Thunder93
Addict
Addict

Post by Thunder93 »

ok, Thanks.
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

Next version will work also, when not used as PB Tool.
It seems, there are more people, who want to use the tool without any IDE.
Thunder93
Addict
Addict

Post by Thunder93 »

I like using it as a IDE PB Tool.

I hope sometime you offer means to delete a version without deleting all versions of a single project.

Also I use custom tools.prefs, separate tools.prefs for x64 and x86 versions, would be nice to add custom tools.prefs and multiples tools.prefs upon installation.
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

Thunder93 wrote:I hope sometime you offer means to delete a version without deleting all versions of a single project.
Any version only saves the difference to the version before it.
So, if you want do delete, lets say version #4 of a file, which has 31 versions, all of the upcoming versions would be corrupted.
That's why this is not implemented.
It is of course possible to implement, but this won't happen in the next future.
Maybe an option to delete only the very last version? Would this help you?
This would be easy, and nothing would get destroyed.
Thunder93 wrote:Also I use custom tools.prefs, separate tools.prefs for x64 and x86 versions, would be nice to add custom tools.prefs and multiples tools.prefs upon installation.
This should be allready possible.
Just start hv.exe once more and select another directory.
You can install it into any tools.prefs you want to.
Thunder93
Addict
Addict

Post by Thunder93 »

Yes, deleting the very latest version would definitely help me.

ok, I was thrown off because I only seen it asking for PureBasic installed location, when its really asking for PB tools file location. :wink:
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Re: [IDE Tool] History Viewer 2.10

Post by HeX0R »

A new version of history viewer is born!

Versioninfo:

Update V2.10
  1. Added possibility to directly install into JaPBe
  2. Added PostgreSQL!
    Now it is possible to use a centralized Historydatabase.
    (usable from anywhere)
  3. Added possibility to delete the very last history
  4. Added help file (not much in it, it's just the beginning)
  5. Changed from JCalG1 to zip.
    All of your histories have to get updated!
    (This is to make the database also usable with linux and Mac)
  6. Added option to delete tempfiles when closing IDE.
  7. Added program parameters to allow History Viewer to be used with other programing languages
  8. [...]
Go and grab it.

This is a huge update, so expect a few bugs.
I hope upgrading of the database will work as expected.
Last edited by HeX0R on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KGB_X
User
User

Post by KGB_X »

Can you make a Linux version?
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

Yes, it's planned, and it is allready running under linux, but there are a view things i have to change.
But it seems, there is not much interest in this tool, so i won't put much energy into it.

It will come sure, but i cannot say when.
But it should run under wine, doesn't it? (i don't have linux here at work)