So much want this to work

Mac OSX specific forum
deseven
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: So much want this to work

Post by deseven »

Desert Polar Bear wrote:Mac holds a fractional market share compared to Windows
That's... um... not true at all. There are different sources, but on average macOS has around 10 to 15% of desktop OS market share.
Desert Polar Bear wrote:there's the open source code to fix it yourself if you're so inclined
Yes, but only the IDE itself is opensource, the PB compiler is not, so not everything can be fixed. Best case scenario someone may find a workaround.

Anyway, glad that PB suits your needs, welcome to the community!
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Desert Polar Bear wrote:...any decent option for a proper BASIC programming language in 2021...
BASIC has indeed come a long way since its first appearances more than half a century ago. It was a verbose and clunky language that could not even be compiled. However, the modern BASICs over the past thirty years have evolved and expanded quite a bit. From a few dozen commands in Dartmouth BASIC, to over two thousand commands, function, and built-in libraries in PureBasic. That's progress!

Today, many new languages have adopted the same verbose characteristics of BASIC in their command syntax, but few have come close to the performance of PureBasic. It generates tight and fast standalone binaries that compares favourably even to the binaries generated by powerhouses like C/C++. And being a true cross-platform language for the three major desktop operating systems, with a lifetime licence to boot, simply puts it over the top.

In all honesty, PureBasic is BASIC only in name, and in spirit. But it's anything but BASIC.
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

but on average macOS has around 10 to 15% of desktop OS market share.
This is the perfect example of "fractional"...10 percent is 1/10th... Far, far into the fractional definition. To be outside of the definition of fractional, it would have to be more than half (1/2) the number of Windows.
deseven
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by deseven »

Tenaja wrote: This is the perfect example of "fractional"...10 percent is 1/10th... Far, far into the fractional definition. To be outside of the definition of fractional, it would have to be more than half (1/2) the number of Windows.
Outside of mathematical world, "fraction" means a small or a very small part of something. But you're right, there's no point in arguing about this, i only mentioned it because of a common misconception that macOS has a very small market share.
Desert Polar Bear
User
User

Post by Desert Polar Bear »

mk-soft wrote:The fact that the tabs sometimes get stuck on the mouse when moving them has improved. This only occurs under macOS and I had completely forgotten about it. I wanted to have a look at it.
I managed to get the tabs to stop "sticking" to the mouse. Although I'm not entirely sure how. I'm not sure if it's related, but I noticed they stopped sticking at the same time I set the debugger to console output only. I tried to replicate the solution, but now I can't get the error log to appear at all!
"You should never judge a book by its cover."
"A picture is worth a thousand words."

Well, which...? Shuddup!
- Desert Polar Bear • Nowhere Special • Arizona, USA
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

It's great ... :evil:

You found a bug. Shit... :wink:

Go to your user directory, open the hidden directory .purebasic and delete the purebasic.pref file. After starting the IDE it will only be created.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Desert Polar Bear
User
User

Sakes. That was a bit condescending, mk.

Sure, I can delete the prefs and start over. That wasn't the point of my message. I was merely trying to share the steps I experienced in attempting to replicate the condition.

No good deed goes unpunished, eh?

Well, which...? Shuddup!
mk-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by mk-soft »

I didn't mean to be condescending.

But it's good that you reported the behaviour with the switching of the debugger.
Something like that shouldn't happen.

The tab bar is a timing problem with the mouse and the recognition of mouse up.
My Projects ThreadToGUI / OOP-BaseClass / EventDesigner V3
PB v3.30 / v5.75 - OS Mac Mini OSX 10.xx - VM Window Pro / Linux Ubuntu
Downloads on my Webspace / OneDrive
Desert Polar Bear
User
User

Interesting. I can understand the mouse up issue easily enough, but timing is less obvious to me. Curious.

I'm just thrilled it's behaving better now, but I would eventually enjoy learning more about the IDE source. I'm an intermediate programmer at best, so it will be a while before I can dive in to that. I did look at it though. Very involved. And apparently there are some complications when attempting to compile in macOS Catalina.

Well, which...? Shuddup!