What are starting instructions for using the new designer?

You need some new stunning features ? Tell us here.
PBExplorer12
User
User

What are starting instructions for using the new designer?

Post by PBExplorer12 »

Hi,

There are tutorials out there, including Youtube, that explain how to building and code forms. They all seem to be relevant to the previous incarnation of PB, which had a separate form designer. But I'm starting Purebasic, when they have already integrated their form designer, into the IDE.

I can't seem to locate some beginning instructions, after searching through the Help, about how to add Event Code to a button, or an EditorGadget.

Are there any Getting Started (aside from the section in the Help file), which explains clearly how to start adding code to Form Components? I just need one single tutorial, relevant to the new IDE, to avoid hours of trying to make sense of it.

Can't believe PB has a Node object readily available, and a 3D Engine. I can't wait to get started.
davido
Addict
Addict

Re: What are starting instructions for using the new designe

Post by davido »

Hi PBExplorer12,

I think the link below might help:

http://www.purebasic.com/documentation/ ... _form.html
DE AA EB
PBExplorer12
User
User

Post by PBExplorer12 »

davido wrote:Hi PBExplorer12,

I think the link below might help:

http://www.purebasic.com/documentation/ ... _form.html

It might help later, but I'm still as to how it all pieces together. I just figured out how to add a Form to a project (already knew how to compile a basic .pb code file). And creating the .pb code which will contain the event handlers for the .pbf file seems to be clear, now.

But there doesn't seem to be any intellisense, when typing in form or component names, in the event handler .pb code. I mean, if you want to set the value of a textbox/EditorGadget, with SetGadgetItemText, how do we know the gadget or item #?

I know this is obvious to 99 percent of the PB readers, but it's not clear to me at all. The IDE shown in the Youtube tutorial, is different from my Windows version. It looks like it might be referring to a Mac version.

Confused. They need to have a step-by-step tutorial, just to show how to make a button, then add some code that displays a MessageBox, and maybe how to work with a couple of other components.
davido
Addict
Addict

Post by davido »

Hi PBExplorer12,

Unfortunately I do not use the Form Designer. :oops: I probably should as many far better coders than I, do.

I've done a search but cannot find any tutorial, although there have been requests.

This is a very helpful forum and I am sure someone will be able to assist you.
DE AA EB
PBExplorer12
User
User

Post by PBExplorer12 »

davido wrote:Hi PBExplorer12,

Unfortunately I do not use the Form Designer. :oops: I probably should as many far better coders than I, do.

I've done a search but cannot find any tutorial, although there have been requests.

This is a very helpful forum and I am sure someone will be able to assist you.

Yep, the forum does have that going for them. Will proceed, and come up with more specific questions.

It is kind of strange, though, that the Help file doesn't have at least one tutorial.
Polo
Addict
Addict

Post by Polo »

PBExplorer12 wrote:It is kind of strange, though, that the Help file doesn't have at least one tutorial.
It's not strange at all. I work on this when I have some free time, and tutorials take a long time to make ;)
PBExplorer12
User
User

Post by PBExplorer12 »

Polo wrote:
PBExplorer12 wrote:It is kind of strange, though, that the Help file doesn't have at least one tutorial.
It's not strange at all. I work on this when I have some free time, and tutorials take a long time to make ;)
Well, maybe strange is a subjective thing. But compared to some of the other programming IDEs that I've worked with, most of which do have tutorials in their Getting Started section, it seems unusual to me.