Jobs announced switching mac from powerpc to intel boxes

Mac OSX specific forum
ivory
User
User

Jobs announced switching mac from powerpc to intel boxes

Post by ivory »

BUT!! They will not allow mac osx to run on non-apple machines. I think Jobs desire to sell hardware may be his undoing.

Regardless, this means that the Mac OSX compiler now has to support two object codes, and probably means the community will need to develop the means to manage both CPU's in source.

One source should be able to compile to both machines, but you will find that different optimizations will exist for each platform.

I really wish they would allow running on existing Windows hardware, I think that would create a radical market-share shift towards mac.
DoubleDutch
Addict
Addict

Post by DoubleDutch »

How long before OSX (x86) is cracked to run on non-mac hardware? Steve Jobs is well and truly stupid if he doesn't think that will happen...

It would be good if you could cross compile from any version to any version. That would be great.
https://deluxepixel.com <- My Business website
https://reportcomplete.com <- School end of term reports system
Doobrey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Jobs announced switching mac from powerpc to intel boxes

Post by Doobrey »

ivory wrote:BUT!! They will not allow mac osx to run on non-apple machines. I think Jobs desire to sell hardware may be his undoing.
I dunno. One of the reasons I bought an iBook was because it was closed hardware, cos at the end of the day I knew it'd "just work".

If you look at the x86 market, there's thousands of different motherboards, soundcards,gfx cards etc and not all combinations work.
At the end of the day it's easier,cheaper and more profitable for Apple to limit the hardware that OSX will run on.

It's also less hassle for the end user too. No more getting the run arounds when things go wrong, instead of the gfx card company blaming the motherboard, the motherboard comany blaming the gfx card etc etc, you've just got one company to deal with.
dagcrack
Addict
Addict

Post by dagcrack »

I dont agree with that, but.. isnt MAC for the average joe? - A G5 with dual processor is indeed good for some video editing and graphical design, but apart from that, its used by the average joe, no one can tell me the opposite, i've seen it. They blame Windows for being so "hard to use" and those big icons it has.. that made me laugh, when you see any mac you'll find out icons that are bigger than your monitor, still, they are made like that by default so average joes knows where to point and click. But don't get me wrong. Im not anti-technology so, even if I dont like something, it doesnt mean I'll support it, but yes, i'll check it out and if I dont like it, too bad for them I guess. Doesnt change anything from me. In fact I've been testing OS' for a long time and yet, for my work theres nothing like Windows, as the game development market is aimed to it. But yes, Mac guys are killing for getting new games.. I think they are just about to get Quake 3 no? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
! Black holes are where God divided by zero !
My little blog!
(Not for the faint hearted!)
dracflamloc
Addict
Addict

Post by dracflamloc »

DoubleDutch wrote:How long before OSX (x86) is cracked to run on non-mac hardware? Steve Jobs is well and truly stupid if he doesn't think that will happen...

It would be good if you could cross compile from any version to any version. That would be great.
It's happened since friday...

=)

http://osx86project.org/
Num3
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Num3 »

That was quick :lol:

Shame it requires an SS2 or SS3 compliant CPU to work...
dracflamloc
Addict
Addict

Post by dracflamloc »

You can get an SSE3 Celeron D for 50 bucks on the net.

Newegg has the 3ghz Celeron D for 105 USD or you could go for a Pentium 4 or new Athlon64 if you want to dish out some extra cash.
J-The-Grey
User
User

Post by J-The-Grey »

dracflamloc wrote: It's happened since friday...

=)
/
which doesn't mean that the final release will also be cracked in "no time"...
iMac CoreDuo, MacBook C2D, OSX 10.5.5
PureBasic owner since V1.0 for Amiga
dracflamloc
Addict
Addict

Post by dracflamloc »

You're right, but a common theory is that this leak and easy-to-hack protection is purposeful, as an excuse for Mac to breaking into the PC OS market.