It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:52 pm 
Offline
Addict
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:38 pm
Posts: 1628
Location: Germany
PB 5.46 x86, PB 5.62 x86 and PB 5.70 x86 don't work anymore on MacOS 10.13.6 'High Sierra' with the most current Xcode 10.1 (10B61):
Image
When adding the following code at top of any PB code
Code:
Import "-stdlib=libc++ -mmacosx-version-min=10.9" : EndImport
another window is displayed:
PureBasic - Linker error wrote:
ld: warning: The i386 architecture is deprecated for macOS (remove from the Xcode build setting: ARCHS)
...
Apple seems to have removed the i386 architecture from its libraries beginning with Xcode 10.1, so it is now impossible to compile 32-bit programs (not only PB source codes) anymore. Therefore I didn't post this problem in "Bugs - Mac OSX" because it's not a PureBasic bug!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:44 pm 
Offline
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:21 am
Posts: 3351
Location: Netherlands
You are right Shardik.

Personally I don't see any reason to continue to use PB x86 on MacOS but it is important to mention this.

_________________
macOS 10.14 Mojave, PB 5.62 x64


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:24 am 
Offline
Addict
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:38 pm
Posts: 1628
Location: Germany
Shardik wrote:
Apple seems to have removed the i386 architecture from its libraries beginning with Xcode 10.1, so it is now impossible to compile 32-bit programs (not only PB source codes) anymore.
It's official:
The macOS 10.14 SDK no longer contains support for compiling 32-bit applications. If developers need to compile for i386, Xcode 9.4 or earlier is required.
So for compiling with PureBasic's x86 compiler you have to install Xcode 9.4 or earlier.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 am 
Offline
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:21 am
Posts: 3351
Location: Netherlands
Shardik wrote:
So for compiling with PureBasic's x86 compiler you have to install Xcode 9.4 or earlier.

I think this will give a lot of confusion for new users.

You mentioned earlier that the minimum requirement for the latest version of PB is OSX 10.8 which only works on 64 bit hardware.
Maybe new PB x86 versions could be moved immediately to the museum section so people who need it can still download it but it is clear the preferred version is the x64 version ?

_________________
macOS 10.14 Mojave, PB 5.62 x64


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:39 am 
Offline
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 4:39 pm
Posts: 13595
Location: France
I think it's time to drop x86 support on OS X. I did the same on SpiderBasic, as it was displaying a warning on new OSX (32-bit application are deprectaed and won't be supported in future version)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:02 pm 
Offline
Addict
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:38 pm
Posts: 1628
Location: Germany
wilbert wrote:
You mentioned earlier that the minimum requirement for the latest version of PB is OSX 10.8 which only works on 64 bit hardware.
That's incorrect.
The oldest MacOS version with PB 5.70 Beta 2 working on (both 32-bit and 64-bit compilers) is MacOS 10.8.5 'Mountain Lion'. Therefore the requirements on PureBasic's website should be adapted.
In summary the situation is very simple. Only on MacOS 10.13 'High Sierra' and MacOS 10.14 'Mojave' with Xcode 10 the PureBasic x86 compiler doesn't work anymore. In High Sierra and Mojave with Xcode 9.4 or older the PureBasic x86 compiler works like a charm. MacOS 10.12 'Sierra' and older versions aren't supported by Xcode 10. And the most recent Xcode 10.2 even doesn't support High Sierra anymore!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 pm 
Offline
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:21 am
Posts: 3351
Location: Netherlands
Shardik wrote:
That's incorrect.

I wasn't trying to say the x86 version wouldn't work.
What I was trying to say is that MacOS 10.8 requires a 64 bit cpu and therefore a 64 bit application should always work.
Looking at it from that point there is no strong reason anymore to compile a 32 bit application or maintain the x86 version of PB if MacOS 10.8 is the minimum requirement.
There can of course be other reasons why you would prefer to compile and run a 32 bit application like cross platform compatibility, less memory consumption or maintaining an old source.
Anyway, for me it would be no problem if x86 support for MacOS would be dropped.

_________________
macOS 10.14 Mojave, PB 5.62 x64


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:44 pm 
Offline
Addict
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:38 pm
Posts: 1628
Location: Germany
wilbert wrote:
What I was trying to say is that MacOS 10.8 requires a 64 bit cpu and therefore a 64 bit application should always work.
Looking at it from that point there is no strong reason anymore to compile a 32 bit application or maintain the x86 version of PB if MacOS 10.8 is the minimum requirement.
There can of course be other reasons why you would prefer to compile and run a 32 bit application like cross platform compatibility, less memory consumption or maintaining an old source.
I fully agree.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:07 pm 
Offline
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:14 pm
Posts: 1692
Location: Germany (Saxony, Deutscheinsiedel)
Fred wrote:
I think it's time to drop x86 support on OS X. I did the same on SpiderBasic, as it was displaying a warning on new OSX (32-bit application are deprectaed and won't be supported in future version)

Please not, at least for now... :D

If there isn't (much?) extra effort, the 32bit compilation is the only chance I have on my MacBook to use latest PB version.

I'm using MacOS El Capitan (10.11) on my MacBook and couldn't upgrade to a newer (x64) version, as the "Apple Hardware Check" says that my system of 2011 is too old.... which is still running fine (upgraded with SSD and more RAM).

_________________
Bye,
...André
(PureBasicTeam::Docs & Support - PureArea.net | Order:: PureBasic | PureVisionXP)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:08 pm 
Offline
Administrator
Administrator

Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 4:39 pm
Posts: 13595
Location: France
OK, no problem. Will just put the 64-bit version behing in download


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:47 pm 
Offline
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:21 am
Posts: 3351
Location: Netherlands
Andre wrote:
If there isn't (much?) extra effort, the 32bit compilation is the only chance I have on my MacBook to use latest PB version.

I'm using MacOS El Capitan (10.11) on my MacBook and couldn't upgrade to a newer (x64) version, as the "Apple Hardware Check" says that my system of 2011 is too old.... which is still running fine (upgraded with SSD and more RAM).

Do you mean you can't run the x64 versions of PureBasic on your MacBook ?
That would be strange since MacOS 10.11 requires a 64 bit cpu as far as I know :?

_________________
macOS 10.14 Mojave, PB 5.62 x64


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:13 pm 
Offline
Addict
Addict
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:53 pm
Posts: 1268
Location: England
Rumour is Apple is planning to migrate to ARM.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: PB x86 compiler doesn't work anymore with newest Xcode!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:36 pm 
Offline
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:14 pm
Posts: 1692
Location: Germany (Saxony, Deutscheinsiedel)
wilbert wrote:
Do you mean you can't run the x64 versions of PureBasic on your MacBook ?
That would be strange since MacOS 10.11 requires a 64 bit cpu as far as I know :?


Sorry for the late reply...

...after doing several tests yesterday I came to this mortifying :oops: conclusion:

PB5.70 as x64 version runs well on my MacBook :D

Beeing a long-time x86 user (Win98 - XP) using PB 32bit version, I just stayed with 32bit PB when I bought my MacBook back in 2011, and didn't upgrade to newer OS X versions for a long time. Don't know anymore, but over the time I just believed that I'm owning just only a x86 Mac.... :wink:

Now with MacOS X El Capitan (10.11.6) I have successfully installed PB5.70 as 64bit version. And also my big project compiles/runs fine, just like it does on my Win10 laptop :D

So for my own use the support of the OS X x64 version would be enough, I'm just thinking if we should still be able to compile 32bit OS X application if needed!?

_________________
Bye,
...André
(PureBasicTeam::Docs & Support - PureArea.net | Order:: PureBasic | PureVisionXP)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

 


Powered by phpBB © 2008 phpBB Group
subSilver+ theme by Canver Software, sponsor Sanal Modifiye