Question about the compiler or debugger mode used.

Working on new editor enhancements?
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question about the compiler or debugger mode used.

Post by Kurzer »

Hello fellows,

after a longer break for private reasons, I start a new project with PureBasic.

Now I noticed a small peculiarity. Nothing dramatic, but it irritates.

I installed several PB versions in parallel and each version also offers all compiler versions of the older PB installations in the compiler options.

Here for example the compilers list of the PB 5.71 x64 installation:

In all PB versions all settings are absolutely identical, since I let them be synchronized with a shell script as soon as I change a setting.

I have now loaded a project template into my current PB 5.71 x64, which has been created under PB version 5.62. In PB 5.62 the compiler 5.71 didn't exist yet, so "use compiler 5.62" is shown in the project options, even if the project is loaded in PB version 5.71.

If I start the project in PB 5.71, it is started surprisingly with the external debugger. However, in the settings of all my PB versions "Use internal debugger" is configured and in the project itself there is no explicit setting to use the internal or external debugger.

If I change the compiler to be used in the project compiler options then to 5.71 and 5.71 x64 (and make no other setting), then the project suddenly starts as expected with the internal debugger.

Why does selecting the compiler affect the debugger mode?

Kurzer
PB 6.02 x64, OS: Win 7 Pro x64 & Win 11 x64, Desktopscaling: 125%, CPU: I7 6500, RAM: 16 GB, GPU: Intel Graphics HD 520, User age in 2023: 56y
"Happiness is a pet." | "Never run a changing system!"
freak
PureBasic Team
PureBasic Team

Re: Question about the compiler or debugger mode used.

Post by freak »

The debugger version must match the compiler version to ensure there are no incompatibilities. The debugger in the IDE can only handle the compiler from the same PB version. If you select another PB compiler, the debugger is automatically switched to the standalone one so the debugger executable from the selected compiler's directory can be used and the versions match.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Question about the compiler or debugger mode used.

Post by Kurzer »

Freak, thanks for clarify this. Image
PB 6.02 x64, OS: Win 7 Pro x64 & Win 11 x64, Desktopscaling: 125%, CPU: I7 6500, RAM: 16 GB, GPU: Intel Graphics HD 520, User age in 2023: 56y
"Happiness is a pet." | "Never run a changing system!"