Last Windows SDK working with PB5.60 and Windows 10 x64

Working on new editor enhancements?
Fluid Byte
Addict
Addict

Last Windows SDK working with PB5.60 and Windows 10 x64

Post by Fluid Byte »

Years ago I did a lot of WinAPI stuff in PB and remember having context sensitive, offline help just by pressing F1 in the Editor. This is extremely helpful and a true time saver. Again, that was a long time ago and the new SDK's don't work because they won't install offline help files anymore. I could live with that if at least I will be redirected to the correct page on MSDN by pressing F1 but it doesn't work with Windows 10 SDK or Windows 7.1 SDK. I tried Windows Server 2003 R1 too but I won't let me install because I get "error 1606" every time.

So who is using Windows 10, the latest PB version 5.60 and got any PSDK offline help to work in the editor?
Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit / Whose Hoff is it anyway?
chi
Addict
Addict

Re: Last Windows SDK working with PB5.60 and Windows 10 x64

Post by chi »

Got Visual Studio installed?

If so, open HlpViewer.exe and add/download "Windows Desktop Application Development"

Compiler following code to PbHlpViewer.exe (edit commandline to fit your needs, I'm using VS2015 Community)

Code: Select all

If CountProgramParameters() = 1
  search$ = ProgramParameter(0)
  If Right(search$, 1) = "_"
    search$ = RTrim(search$, "_")
    RunProgram("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Help Viewer\v2.2\HlpViewer.exe", "/catalogName VisualStudio14 /launchingApp Microsoft,VisualStudio,14 /helpQuery " + Chr(34) + "method=f1&query=" + search$ + Chr(34), "")
  EndIf
EndIf
Create a new IDE Tool entry

Code: Select all

Commandline: ...\PathTo\PbHlpViewer.exe
Arguments: %WORD
Event: Menu Or Shortcut
... and pick a Shortcut
Place the cursor over an API command and press the Shortcut.
Et cetera is my worst enemy
Fluid Byte
Addict
Addict

Re: Last Windows SDK working with PB5.60 and Windows 10 x64

Post by Fluid Byte »

chi wrote:Got Visual Studio installed?
Nope. Anyway, I found this download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=12261

Ignore the "PSDK-FULL.exe", just download the cabinet files. Right-click "PSDK-FULL.1.cab" and extract (requires WinRAR).

It's pretty outdated but I works great, especially combined with auto-complete for API functions.
Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit / Whose Hoff is it anyway?