questions about own private webpage

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
A.D.
User
User

questions about own private webpage

Post by A.D. »

I'm thinking of making an own private webpage to make my written programs public. Do i need to set up an imprint on the page? What license text should i add to my programs which should be declared as freeware?
Repeat
PureBasic
ForEver
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: questions about own private webpage

Post by Bitblazer »

Hi,

I have added GPL 4.0 Creative Commons links and notices for my stuff on my private webpage where i do exactly what you want to do. Feel free to get inspiration or links from my homepage and use them yourself.

Here is my webpage with a few tools written with purebasic. The only minor problem i have currently, is that i can't use a free certificate on my website hoster, so most browsers currently warn about "security" because the traffic is unencrypted. But that just depends on the hosting provider you use.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
A.D.
User
User

Post by A.D. »

Thank you, Bitblazer, exaclty what i was looking for. By the way is it legal to change those software license "GPL 4.0 Creative Commons" to fit to our own purposes?
Repeat
PureBasic
ForEver
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

A.D. wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:35 pm By the way is it legal to change those software license "GPL 4.0 Creative Commons" to fit to our own purposes?
See the GPL FAQ.
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
A.D.
User
User

Post by A.D. »

is this right that the GPL4.0 Creative Common License allows others to trade/sell the software? I just want users to be allowed to distribute and use my software. So i'm not sure if i should use the GPL4 license or write myself one. I also read a little bit about licenses in general and how i understand the whole hing that you can use anykind of license (also self written) for Freeware, right? Only if you offer OpenSource Software or if you want to distribute your programs commercially you should be on the safe site.
Repeat
PureBasic
ForEver
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

I'm not expert, and some of my details may be off a bit, but the sentiment of variations remains...

There are many different open source licenses. MIT and LGPL (I think) permit people to use it and modify it without posting the edits. Others permit use & edit but only if you share the changes. (But, I think, require your license in the source.)

Others, like gpl, only permit you to use it if the entire project is gpl.

public domain pretty much means you give full license, with no restrictions.

Read up on the existing licenses before trying to edit one... It's likely there's already one that does what you'd like. There's some pretty good charts if you search for the comparisons of popcorn source licenses.
Tenaja
Addict
Addict

Post by Tenaja »

Oh, yeah... You should really consider e.g. GitHub instead. Your code will be easier to find, and it will be searchable by license. And, should you get hit by a bus, it will probably outlast you. On the other hand, your own page will be taken down within a short time of abandoning it.
A.D.
User
User

Post by A.D. »

well, i don't want to distribute Open Source code. Just compiled executables for now. Maybe GitHub is a good place to distribute compiled stuff, too, not sure about that.
Repeat
PureBasic
ForEver