Help me understand a Gmail issue

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Help me understand a Gmail issue

Post by Kuron »

Today, anytime I log into Gmail, IDM kicks up the first screen below. I close that and then the second screen is displayed. I close that.

All is fine until I go to check my email again. It has been going on all day, and I have never experienced this before.

Why is Gmail wanting to download "response.bin" to my system?

I use Malwarebytes and Panda and both show my system to be clean. Using the latest version of Firefox and have used Gmail since it existed, Never experienced this until today and have used IDM for a number of years.

Any clue in helping to understand this, as to the why and how to stop it? Annoying enough that I am going to delete my gmail account if this continues.

Thank you in advance for any help.

BarryG
Addict
Addict

Re: Help me understand a Gmail issue

Post by BarryG »

Not enough info about what you're doing, but at first glance it looks to me like IDM is somehow seeing a link to a file named "response.bin" and trying to automatically download it, and I guess this file is something to do with an email that Gmail holds for you. In your second screenshot, it explains how to disable IDM's auto-download feature, so I'd try that if I were you, even just temporarily to see if that's the cause.

I wouldn't delete your Gmail account over this. It'll be something simple to fix, but we need way more specific info about what you're doing. Like a bug report, we need step-by-step what you did to get to that point. I use Gmail as my only mail so I'm interested and keen to hear more, and maybe I can try to duplicate on my end.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

Literally doing nothing but going to gmail and logging in, and that pops up before my inbox is even fully loaded.

Other than my Dad, my wife and my friend in Ireland, I do not get any personal emails and anything else is only Amazon, ebay or a couple of guitar companies I order from and have for decades.

Really seeing nothing that should be triggering this..

Anyway, here is a screenshot of my inbox loading and the warning coming up... Weird and has me stumped... Problem is Google is so damn devious I would not put it past them trying to download a file to your system for some unknown reason, but I am not finding any other reports on the issue.

Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

If I leave Gmail open, when it refreshes to check for new mail, the screens pop back up.
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Kuron wrote:Literally doing nothing but going to gmail and logging in, and that pops up before my inbox is even fully loaded.
Okay, so based on that and from your screenshots, it definitely looks like IDM (Internet Download Manager) is seeing the Gmail traffic and spotting "response.bin" and trying to download it.
Kuron wrote:Why is Gmail wanting to download "response.bin" to my system?
It's not Gmail showing that download pop-up, it's IDM (see its window icon?). Quit/exit IDM totally, then log into Gmail again to confirm that the problem is gone. I'll bet it has.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Post by Marc56us »

Restart Firefox without modules (there is an option in help menu)

Also try with other navigator (Chrome, Edge etc)

:wink:
Olli
Addict
Addict

Post by Olli »

:D The second link that HeXor gives above : same problem !

<< Do you want to download f.txt ? >>

I try YES ("txt", why not)

<< Unable to download 'f.txt' : link date has expired >>

!!

I think Google is adapting day after day, and sometimes we can see some "bugs", or such artefacts !

Not very important. I just suggest not to remove "*.Bin" files but remove files named "response.bin" of the files to be checked before to be downloaded.

If it is possible, adding distant source address :

Do not check "response.bin" from aa.google.com only.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Or you could use Thunderbird with gmail and many others.