A Tesla almost killed me while riding my motorcycle

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
GeoTrail
Addict
Addict

A Tesla almost killed me while riding my motorcycle

Post by GeoTrail »

Yeah, it's true.
First off, to de-drama the accident, I am currently doing fine.

Story time:
On the 15th of July around 2 o'clock I went for a ride on my motorcycle to visit my parents who lives about 30 minutes away. While riding back home, I decided instead of riding the boring highways, I took the old roads to enjoy the ride better.

After riding for 5 minutes from my parents house, I came into a roundabout. I saw a Tesla coming pretty fast towards the roundabout. He looked me in the eyes while slowing down and suddenly decided to go for it. So he didn't yield as he was supposed to. Coming out of the roundabout there are 2 lanes. Left lane goes towards downtown Bergen. The right lane, where I was riding, goes to the old road. While I was right next to the Tesla, he, OR the car, decided to change into the right lane, my lane. I saw the red Tesla for a split second before he hit me. Hard.

The bike got pushed down into the road, my left leg went under the right front wheel of the Tesla and I went flying across the road. The handlebars on my bike hit me in the chest and I couldn't breath. The police came after, it felt like 10 seconds, but I might have been knocked out. The ambulanse came right after. They cut off my gear and gave me oxygen straight away and put me in the ambulanse and headed for the hospital with lights and sirens.

In the hospital I think I saw about 20 people working on me. To be honest, it looked and sounds more serious than it actually was. I lost a lot of skin on my arms, legs and stomach. But I was wearing high quality jeans with Kevlar in it. My helmet was a AGV K5 made out of carbonfiber. An expensive and lightweight helmet. Thank god I didn't use my "hot weather" helmet, a open face helmet.

They put me in a bunch of machines and took x-rays of my whole body. But they couldn't find any broken bones :shock:
They allowed me to go home at around 2 o'clock at night. I was in a lot of pain and had bandages all over my body.

Sorry for the long story. I've been getting messages all over wondering how I'm doing and asking what happened. So there's a quick explanation of what happened.

I created a personal Vlog channel on YouTube and there I speak about what happened and how I'm doing. my birthday was on 8th of June and my only wish was to get 1000 subscribers on the channel. Which I passed about a week before my birthday. So that's amazing and I'm so proud of everyone who has supported me.

I don't like advertising personal crap on this forum, but if you want to stay connected with me and what I'm currently up to you can check out my channel at https://Youtube.com/BobLinuxVlog

Would be great if you leave a comment on the videos with your PB username so I know who you are :)

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this if you made it all the way down here :)
Last edited by GeoTrail on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Stepped On A Cornflake!!! Now I'm A Cereal Killer!
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Re: A Tesla almost killed me while riding my motorcycle

Post by Mijikai »

Tesla cant even properly code a clock.
GeoTrail
Addict
Addict

Post by GeoTrail »

Yeah, and they are allowed to drive by themselves in most countries :shock:
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

You are very lucky :)
I hope u are recovering fine.
GeoTrail
Addict
Addict

Post by GeoTrail »

Thank you Mijikai.
Yes I was very lucky. I've been riding motorcycles for many many years. But no experience will get you out of a situation like that. Only luck and fate will help :D
idle
Always Here
Always Here

Post by idle »

Glad you're in one piece and on the mend.
Time to build half a bridge off the edge of a cliff and label it Tesla highway!
Windows 11, Manjaro, Raspberry Pi OS
BarryG
Addict
Addict

Post by BarryG »

Deleted.
Last edited by BarryG on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

Glad you are okay. If you are in a motorcycle accident involving another vehicle and you escape with a bad case of road rash, you are extremely lucky. Seriously, I am glad you are okay. You are an old-timer here and one of the good guys.

Before I moved to Tennessee, I was sitting in the lab office waiting to get some bloodwork done. I had a view of the intersection at the main road. A SUV ran a light and hit a man on a nice BMW motorcycle who was going because it was his turn. He was pronounced dead on the scene. Extremely unpleasant watching somebody get killed, no matter the method of demise.

I used to have motorcycles in my younger day and am glad I do not now. My skills are not the issue, but with the way others drive today, it is terrifying to be a biker.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

BarryG wrote:Glad you're okay, but why mention and bad-mouth Tesla specifically? Any car would've done this to you. It was the driver's decision to "go for it" that caused the hit, not the brand of car.
Teslas are self-driving and are famous for incidents like this (as well as spontaneous combustion due to faulty batteries). Literally not a week goes by where there is not a story in the news of a Tesla running over a pedestrian, a bicyclist or running into another motorist.
Mijikai
Addict
Addict

Post by Mijikai »

BarryG wrote: Glad you're okay, but why mention and bad-mouth Tesla specifically? Any car would've done this to you. It was the driver's decision to "go for it" that caused the hit, not the brand of car.
What bad mouthing?

Its obvious that they dont care about safety.
Teslas cars are dangerous so its good to raise awareness.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

GeoTrail wrote: I don't like advertising personal crap on this forum, but if you want to stay connected with me and what I'm currently up to you can check out my channel at https://Youtube.com/RobertOlsenVlog
It is bookmarked now.

BarryG wrote:Nothing to do with Tesla's self-driving from what I read?
If you have evidence that it was the driver (and not the car) who decided to switch lanes with another motorist right beside them, you need to turn that evidence over to the police. Otherwise, it might be better to rely on the comments of the only person on these forums who was actually there. Geotrail was pretty clear "While I was right next to the Tesla, he, OR the car, decided to change into the right lane, my lane." If you have evidence that Geotrail is lying or exaggerating, you need to come forward with that evidence. Otherwise, we can only go on Geotrail's comments and the well-documented history of Teslas. No need to reply to me, as you are now on ignore.

*edit* Self-driving or not, it is still a Tesla. It is absurd for somebody to get offended because Geotrail had the audacity to get hit by a Tesla, instead of some other brand of motor vehicle. Not speaking for Geotrail, but pretty sure it would have hurt the same to be hit by a Benz.
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

I am so sorry for what happened to you. I wish you the best.

As I don't know many about Tesla, in this case, whose fault is this for the police/the law? The driver's or the car's company?
GeoTrail
Addict
Addict

Post by GeoTrail »

There seem to be a little thing going on right now between the police and the insurance company. The police wants the responsible part to take the whole blame. BUT, the insurance company wants the part that will cost less money to take the blame.
Mindphazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mindphazer »

Yeah
The insurance company will always want the part that costs less money. Anytime. And in any country
MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro - 16 Gb - MacOS 14 - Iphone 15 Pro Max - iPad at home
...and unfortunately... Windows at work...
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

GeoTrail wrote:There seem to be a little thing going on right now between the police and the insurance company. The police wants the responsible part to take the whole blame. BUT, the insurance company wants the part that will cost less money to take the blame.
If the responsible part is the car then responsibility belongs to the company or I am wrong?
Does the car have some sort of log that will tell if it saw you and what actions were made and by whom? The car company should have given the ability of a log because if the fault is all the driver's, he may blame the car. A log will set all clear.