General 3D programming vs Blender for programmers and Blende

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Psychophanta
Addict
Addict

General 3D programming vs Blender for programmers and Blende

Post by Psychophanta »

Question for any Blender users and programmers:
At time for any 3D stuff design, simulating, composing, etc.;
Is there any issue which can be done via programming and can not be done via Blender?
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com

While world=business:world+mafia:Wend
Will never leave this forum until the absolute bugfree PB :mrgreen:
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Re: General 3D programming vs Blender for programmers and Bl

Post by Mistrel »

Usually this comes down to adding features which are not available in the existing package or if you want to perform some kind of mathematical operation such as creating perfect geometric arrangements and precise animations.

Here is a great example:

http://www.3dprintmath.com/

I had a previous background in 3D computer graphics prior to getting into programming. It really comes down to what is feasible in a given time frame, the tools available, and how proficient you are in your package's scripting language to bridge the gap.

I only used 3D Studio MAX way back so for that it would be MAXScript. For Blender it would be Python. If you can't get it done in the main package or through a script then you would tap someone on staff to write a plugin or tool for you.

I think the best programmer analogy would be like using a shell language, then scripting, then a compiled language when you need the extra power. I will usually pick up a scripting language first if it's something small as it's faster than spinning up an IDE, creating a project, dependencies, and build systems. But most often I can do the thing right at a command line or file in shell (Bash) for a quick one-off. Text parsing, for example, is almost always done exclusively with Bash/Coreutils/Regex.