New Designing Environment. (free for test)

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: New Designing Environment. (free for test)

Post by Bitblazer »

Anybody could add PureBasic Language support for one of the largest most widely used IDE's from Microsoft - Visual Studio. And the community version is fully free for single developers/students/non commercial. Plus as an "industry standard" it already supports plenty other of languages and not just one. Plus i think one or two people already started a basic PureBasic support for visual studio.

Justin's Visual Studio thread and info
eddy's Visual Studio Code project
Last edited by Bitblazer on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

mohsen wrote:Oh, I was unaware of this.
But most of these cases merely add the pb syntax to other editor environments. Of course I'm not sure...
I mean, using all the features of pb in this environment like : libraries, debugger and ...
You are right, i am currently fighting the linux version of the IDE again. Ubuntu based distro's seem to simply freeze after starting with a project. I tried 3 different ubuntu distributions and on all of them the Purebasic IDE freezes. I did use OpenSuse leap 15 and that seemed to work fine. Sadly i need to create a purebasic linux executable that runs on a virtual server and the general reply regarding linux servers i got was "omg dont use opensuse, use ubuntu!" .... so i tried to use that again but it just doesnt work for me yet. Purebasic on linux for me means i spend days trying to solve problems instead of actually working on my own software.
swhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swhite »

Hi

I did have problems with PB on Linux with the IDE vanishing etc. but I am now using OpenSuse 15 which works fine and I also recently bought a MintBox Pro 2 and it works perfectly fine with PB. So I am wondering what might be different about your environment. I do remember that on Ubuntu we had to make a change to the environment in order for PB to compile correctly but I do not remember what it was.

Simon
Bitblazer wrote:
mohsen wrote:Oh, I was unaware of this.
But most of these cases merely add the pb syntax to other editor environments. Of course I'm not sure...
I mean, using all the features of pb in this environment like : libraries, debugger and ...
You are right, i am currently fighting the linux version of the IDE again. Ubuntu based distro's seem to simply freeze after starting with a project. I tried 3 different ubuntu distributions and on all of them the Purebasic IDE freezes. I did use OpenSuse leap 15 and that seemed to work fine. Sadly i need to create a purebasic linux executable that runs on a virtual server and the general reply regarding linux servers i got was "omg dont use opensuse, use ubuntu!" .... so i tried to use that again but it just doesnt work for me yet. Purebasic on linux for me means i spend days trying to solve problems instead of actually working on my own software.
Simon White
dCipher Computing
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

swhite wrote:I did have problems with PB on Linux with the IDE vanishing etc. but I am now using OpenSuse 15 which works fine and I also recently bought a MintBox Pro 2 and it works perfectly fine with PB. So I am wondering what might be different about your environment. I do remember that on Ubuntu we had to make a change to the environment in order for PB to compile correctly but I do not remember what it was.
My problem was that the Purebasic IDE started, resized and then froze completely when running on different ubuntu versions (as if it was an event queue processing problem). I tried different desktops like KDE (with different window managers) and Gnome but the result was always the same. After starting the Purebasic IDE and loading a project, the IDE didnt respond to any mouse or keyboard input at all. I couldn't even drag or minimize it. The purebasic IDE showed up completely and correctly but afterwards it didnt respond at all. I just switched to CentOS 7 and will try if that works better. It was interesting as the rest of the linux applications worked as expected while the purebasic IDE wasn'r reacting at all. With Opensuse 15, the Purebasic IDE worked fine, editing, compiling, debugging, everything worked.

Personally i would prefer to know which linux distribution is used by the Purebasic team during development and just try to use that, instead of reading "linux is supported" but not knowing which distribution actually was used to verify that and having to try and chase the distribution + architecture (x86/x64) + desktop/window manager combination that should work and therefore should be used to report problems.

As it is now, i could start a huge project installing and documenting the combinations of distibution+cpu architecture+desktop and report each problem i find and in 99% of the cases the simple reason would be that "oops we never tried that combination".

Instead of just reading "linux 32/64bit is supported", i would like an additional information like "Debian 9 32 and 64bit versions with Gnome are suggested because we used those version during compilation/development". So i could focus on using those combinations to report problems. I try to avoid version based problems because i have repeatedly run into ABI problems due to that. A large part of the linux community generally expects to get software as source code instead of binary. It's quite understandable from their point of view but currently users of purebasic simply can't do that since it wouldn't work to release the sources of a linux software and then have every single user ask how they should compile that software followed by a complaint that they wont buy a license of some programming language just to do that. I expect that 99.9% of linux users would simply use a different software instead of using one that they can't compile and which requires them to pay for a third party compiler to use a software.

Maybe a better approach for Purebasic based linux software would therefore be if the purebasic compiler created a gcc++ compatible source output that can be distributed instead of a binary compilation which creates these problems with different ABI versions. A different solution might be needed in the future instead of the current "compile to binary and release the binary compilation".

summary: releasing a linux binary compilation can result in ABI call problems between different major versions on some distributions and as a result the linux executable can't be started. The linker during startup of the linux binary explicitly points to an incompatible ABI version being used and if you research the error codes with google, the suggested solution is to simply recompile.
swhite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swhite »

Yes it would be nice to know which linux Distro the PB team uses. I have often wondered that.

Simon
Simon White
dCipher Computing
DontTalkToMe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by DontTalkToMe »

Fred wrote:We use Ubuntu 17.10 for build server, so it's warranted to work on it. Every modern Ubuntu distro should do it (16.04+)
viewtopic.php?p=523130#p523130
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Thanks, but i wonder if that means the sources of the ide compiled but no actual testing was done. I tried both 5.62 and the latest 5.7beta on ubuntu 16.04, xubuntu, lubuntu with gnome,kde and they all froze after start.
DontTalkToMe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by DontTalkToMe »

Fred uses Ubuntu for testing, according to his many posts.

search.php?keywords=ubuntu&terms=all&au ... mit=Search
Shardik
Addict
Addict

Post by Shardik »

Bitblazer wrote:I tried both 5.62 and the latest 5.7beta on ubuntu 16.04, xubuntu, lubuntu with gnome,kde and they all froze after start.
I can't confirm these problems with the IDE. I have a test machine with 22 different Linux x86 distributions (Bodhi, Budgie, Debian, Elementary, Fedora, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, MATE, Mint, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Xubuntu) runnning on real hardware (not as virtual machines) with different desktop environments (Budgie, Cinnamon, Gnome 3, LXDE, KDE, MATE, Moksha, Pantheon and Xfce). On most Ubuntu-derived distributions I have installed two LTS versions (16.04 and 18.04). And I don't have problems with freezing or crashes using the IDE of PB 5.62 on all these distributions...

But I am currently on vacation and experienced lately problems with my current machine running Linux Mint 18.3 x64 'Sylvia'. The IDE of PB 5.46 and 5.62 often suddenly crashed to the desktop while editing source code. I didn't find the exact cause but after deleting my purebasic.prefs file all problems were gone. So my first tip would be to close the PureBasic IDE, delete your purebasic.prefs file and start the IDE again.

On Debian- and Ubuntu-derived distributions (Debian packages) it's essential to run checkinstall.sh from console after the PureBasic installation and install all dependencies. On distributions with RPM packages (for example Fedora and OpenSuSE) it's more tricky to install missing packages because the package names are different from the Debian ones and you have to find the correct package names on your own.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

I have done all my tests by running the linux versions inside a virtual box machine which runs on windows 7 64-bit. Maybe thats the real problem, though it "shouldn't be". Time will tell, maybe i do a test with a native linux install on a SSD later if i have the time.

But its obviously strange that i have all these problems that others dont seem to have. Thanks for the info Shardik :)
thanos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by thanos »

@mohsen
Your project is very promising!
Congrats for your work!
Keep going
» myPersonal Banker :: Because you do not need to have a master degree in economics in order to organize your finances!
zikitrake
Addict
Addict

Post by zikitrake »

:shock: I just saw one of the videos (https://www.facebook.com/RetesetSoftwar ... 825760325/)
I would sincerely love to see something like that associated with Purebasic!
Congrats for this great work.