How to test for network connection dropouts

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
DeanH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to test for network connection dropouts

Post by DeanH »

I have an odd problem. A recent release of Windows 10 by an education department to several hundred schools, who are my customers, has frequent network connection dropouts to the school's curriculum server. The dropouts causes my file-intensive (SQLite) library management system to crash several times a day with the dreaded Windows "Prog.exe has stopped working" message. This can happen with any file access statemet, GetFileSize, ReadFile, RunProgram even the Windows API call GetFileAttributes. It is not a PureBasic problem. If the program runs from the local hard drive, no crashing. Rumours are spreading that my software does not work on Windows 10, which is not true as hundreds of other users do not have this problem.

Does anyone know a safe, fast way to check for a good network connection within a running program? Something that would not cause a crash itself and could be used to avoid it. What type of PureBasic code could be used? Mr Google has not been terribly helpful.

Thanks.
infratec
Always Here
Always Here

Re: How to test for network connection dropouts

Post by infratec »

Best way to solve such stuff:
Program local and access only the database over the net (PostgreSQL).
Then your program works and can show if the network connection is 'broken'.

You can also run a continous ping and log the results in a file.
Then you can show the dropouts to your customer.
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: How to test for network connection dropouts

Post by tj1010 »

ICMP ping viewtopic.php?f=12&t=69685

Sounds like the crashing software makes a lot of assumptions and uses invalid pointers to corrupt memory both locally and in LAN equipment. Most NIC stuff has firmware that reboots on runaway threads and heavy swap thrashing, or things like bad streams on gateways. My 2018 DOCSIS stuff I'm forced to use is useless the second there is a failed ranging response
The truth hurts.