spying on microphone?

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
jack
Addict
Addict

spying on microphone?

Post by jack »

I had a microphone plugged-in in my Mac, Sophos kept warning about the mike frequently being activated, also the desktop menu bar would sometimes flicker.
at first I thought that Siri might be the culprit, but am now convinced that I was spied on, not anymore, as I unplugged the microphone, but I have a question, does anyone know the names of the more well known spy viruses? any advise?
somehow Sophos has not detected any virus.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Re: spying on microphone?

Post by Kuron »

jack wrote:but I have a question, does anyone know the names of the more well known spy viruses? any advise?
Google.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
jack
Addict
Addict

Post by jack »

wow, I am overwhelmed by your brilliant advise
I took you off of my foe list to see your post but I will put you right back on the list, see ya.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

jack wrote:wow, I am overwhelmed by your brilliant advise
I took you off of my foe list to see your post but I will put you right back on the list, see ya.
Apologies for thinking you wanted a serious answer. You may want to educate yourself on the subject. Google is indeed your biggest culprit for unwanted microphone use. Look up their patent on environmental based advertising, it includes what the microphone picks up.

Siri no longer uses Bing for its backend. Siri now uses Google.

Keep your microphone unplugged (or turned off if it has a physical switch) when it is not being used.
vwidmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vwidmer »

just an idea maybe if its happening alot you can try to install "Little snitch" and see if any program is trying to make an outgoing connection when you notice the mic come on maybe can pin point something?
WARNING: I dont know what I am doing! I just put stuff here and there and sometimes like magic it works. So please improve on my code and post your changes so I can learn more. TIA
jack
Addict
Addict

Post by jack »

thanks for the tip on Little Snitch, however surfing the web with constant pop-ups/requesters is too distracting.
I disconnected the microphone and reverted to a back-up from 3 months past, so hopefully I am OK, I do have Sophos home premium installed.
the only reason I had the microphone plugged-in was so that I could make an occasional FaceTime call to my sister.
vwidmer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by vwidmer »

can maybe try this as well to be sure? I dont have an apple any more so cant try it.

https://objective-see.com/products/oversight.html
WARNING: I dont know what I am doing! I just put stuff here and there and sometimes like magic it works. So please improve on my code and post your changes so I can learn more. TIA
jack
Addict
Addict

Post by jack »

thanks vwidmer, oversight seems like a nice application and I will certainly give it try if I decide to use the mic again, for the time being I am abstaining from audio/video interaction and have turned on the firewall and blocking all sharing services.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

Ironically, Apple just came out and swears up and down they are NOT listening (much like Facebook did some time ago), but said apps may be.
tj1010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by tj1010 »

look for something that monitors api access. I don't know of any you may have to code your own with xcode or something.

I'd mount the volume offline in debian and use python to scan launch points and check signing. It's likely legit software unless you have something and intelligence agency would want. Exploits for MacOS are expensive and amateur proof
The truth hurts.