PowerBasic Kaput?

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Re: PowerBasic Kaput?

Post by the.weavster »

DarkDragon wrote:Didn't you hear about facebook fanpage problems, yet?
Kuron wrote:After reading that, I will be refusing all orders from the EU and I will block EU IPs. Truly seems to be the ONLY solution that is guaranteed to be FULLY compliant.
Thank goodness the UK is escaping from those mad EU bugg3r5! :twisted:
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

the.weavster wrote:Thank goodness the UK is escaping from those mad EU bugg3r5! :twisted:
That won't save you. The UK itself has passed (or is passing) similar legislation.

Here in the states, California has passed a similar law, so many American companies will have no choice but to also block California IPs and stop doing business with Californians.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
Rinzwind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Rinzwind »

Not that I care... but this is completely bonkers and the first time I see blocking because of some common law in practice. Mimicking a site failure because of a law which makes a whole continent think your company is gone... Not that there's much life left in PowB, but well... this certainly is another nail in the coff ;) Couldn't even be bothered to setup an explanation page? Anyway, if you sell software you delegate it frequently to one of the big boys. 2 Checkout, Share-it (ugh), FastSpring, etc. They manage the whole GDPR-thing.

Anyway, the biggest offenders are still left alone, even with this so called protect-your-privacy-law: Facebook and Google.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

I love PowerB and have used it since the beginning and I really like the current owner. That said, I would no longer recommend it to anybody.

I am looking forward to the resurrection of AMOS. Otherwise, most indie languages are hovering near death due to dwindled communities.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

It has really been bizarre over there. Well over a month ago, their forum host made some kind of tweak that made the forum completely unreadable and unusable by me. The forum page is all greyed over and I can't click on anything. Others seem to be able to post okay as you can make out new posts listed, but I can't read any posts because you can't click on anything or even log in. This is what I see and nothing anywhere is clickable. I am not banned, or anything like that. Sucks, because I had a project underway for years that was finally nearing completion, but now I am going to have to rewrite it in a different language that actually has functional support.

Using a third-party forum host is good, in theory, but not when their screwups cost you customers.
#NULL
Addict
Addict

Post by #NULL »

Kuron wrote:It has really been bizarre over there. Well over a month ago, their forum host made some kind of tweak that made the forum completely unreadable and unusable by me. The forum page is all greyed over and I can't click on anything. Others seem to be able to post okay as you can make out new posts listed, but I can't read any posts because you can't click on anything or even log in. This is what I see and nothing anywhere is clickable. I am not banned, or anything like that. Sucks, because I had a project underway for years that was finally nearing completion, but now I am going to have to rewrite it in a different language that actually has functional support.

Using a third-party forum host is good, in theory, but not when their screwups cost you customers.
There is a privacy policy agreement popup showing up centered on top of the gray modal layer here. Maybe try another browser or disable add-ons. At least to access the forum to tell them.
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by C87 »

In some cases you can access sites blocked due to compliance with GDPR using TOR.

GDPR is ill thought out and impractical, causing pointless issues for small not for profit clubs and self help groups.
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
VB6_to_PBx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by VB6_to_PBx »

with Win 8.0 and with FireFox's NoScript enabled
i can access eveything on PowerBasic Forums !

with NoScript not blocking PowerBasic Forum i'm getting this Pic :

Last edited by VB6_to_PBx on Wed May 15, 2019 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

PureBasic .... making tiny electrons do what you want !

"With every mistake we must surely be learning" - George Harrison
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

I okayed the dialog back when it first appeared and things were fine for a bit after that. Now, it is greyed out, no matter what browser (Firefox/Edge/IE) I use and even with addons all disabled, tried deleting cookies, etc.

Weird, because the forum host made an update that shifted the alignment of some of the forum text so it was overlapping in an area it wasn't supposed to. After a week or so, they fixed that and then a couple of days later, it went to being greyed out.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

The issue resolved itself and is now working normally.