Looking for a special zip utility

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
DeanH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking for a special zip utility

Post by DeanH »

For many years I have been using a reliable freeware archiver called LHA32. I have been using the UNLHA32.DLL program from PureBasic programs. The greatest feature is the progressbar that is displayed while each file is being zipped. This lets my users know something is happening while a large database file is being backed up or restored. I would like to switch to the true ZIP format and would like to find an archiver which also shows zip and unzip progress per file. I am fully aware of PureBasic's compress / decompress zip functions. They work well but do not provide an ability to display a progressbar while each file is being zipped or unzipped. (Enhancement idea to PB? A callback to show progress?) Does anyone know of a DLL or Windows Exe that behaves like this? Or alternately PB code that can provide this, too. (I have so far not been able to find anything like this on the forum.) Thank you in advance.
Marc56us
Addict
Addict

Re: Looking for a special zip utility

Post by Marc56us »

DeanH wrote:For many years I have been using a reliable freeware archiver called LHA32. I have been using the UNLHA32.DLL program from PureBasic programs. The greatest feature is the progressbar that is displayed while each file is being zipped. This lets my users know something is happening while a large database file is being backed up or restored. I would like to switch to the true ZIP format and would like to find an archiver which also shows zip and unzip progress per file. I am fully aware of PureBasic's compress / decompress zip functions. They work well but do not provide an ability to display a progressbar while each file is being zipped or unzipped. (Enhancement idea to PB? A callback to show progress?) Does anyone know of a DLL or Windows Exe that behaves like this? Or alternately PB code that can provide this, too. (I have so far not been able to find anything like this on the forum.) Thank you in advance.
7-Zip (FreeWare)
https://www.7-zip.org/
3 programs in 7-zip installation
  • 7zFM.exe : 7-Z File Mananger, the GUI version
  • 7z.exe : The command line version (like old lha, lharc, pkzip, etc)
  • 7zG.exe : Same command line version, but display output un a graphic window with stats and button start/stop/pause
And, yes, it can uncompact your old LHA file, and Zip and all
And last, PB can compact/uncompact Zip and 7z format too

:wink:
DeanH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Looking for a special zip utility

Post by DeanH »

Thanks Marc56us. 7zG is close to what I am after.