RocketCake (website builder)

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
walbus
Addict
Addict

Re: RocketCake (website builder)

Post by walbus »

Web Expression 4 was the only one that hadn't driven me up the wall yet
But it's also quite a complicated thing to code such a thing, I guess...

I have already created very many and also very nice websites with it.
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

walbus wrote:Web Expression 4 was the only one that hadn't driven me up the wall yet
Just looking at the .NET and Silverlight requirements are enough to drive me up the wall.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

Yep LOL
My focus has always been an artistically appealing design
The unnecessary complication of things was never what I wanted

Regards Werner
Karellen
User
User

Post by Karellen »

TI-994A wrote:Such visual builders tend to overuse divisions and obscure element IDs, and generate grossly unstructured and bloated style sheets which favour IDs over classes. So, they do not generate small, tight, clean code with no bloat.
True, but such tools can be a great time saver to produce easily a couple of working(!) sketches. I use to have clients who don't know what they want and appreciate to receive a variety of suggestions.

A tool like Rocket Cake can be extremely useful here. The final product will always be a clean implementation from scratch - of course.
Stanley decided to go to the meeting room...
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Karellen wrote:True, but such tools can be a great time saver to produce easily a couple of working(!) sketches. I use to have clients who don't know what they want and appreciate to receive a variety of suggestions.

A tool like Rocket Cake can be extremely useful here. The final product will always be a clean implementation from scratch - of course.
Of course. But the question is, how much of a time-saver. Conceiving new designs is no small task, and such builders offer only a few very cliché templates for free. Even then, content has to be manually input for each and every template to be showcased. Tedious and time-consuming.

Web developers usually have their own catalogs of pre-designed templates for such showcases, developed with custom CMS's that generate full-blown websites from external content. A single input to generate multiple websites, ready for presentation.

It doesn't get faster than that. :wink:
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

TI, despite all your posts about how bad RocketCake is, I still like it. :P
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Dude wrote:...despite all your posts about how bad RocketCake is, I still like it.
Hi Dude. The posts were in no way designed to put RocketCake nor any other web builder down. They're great RAD tools, sufficiently generating working websites. Just not efficiently, codewise.

Nevertheless, such tools are quite indispensable, as Karellen had pointed out, for quick mock-ups and composites. Thank you for sharing it. :D
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
Kuron
Addict
Addict

Post by Kuron »

Really one of those YMMV things. For me, speaking of RocketCake only (and not other WYSIWYG editors), it produces far more effective code than any CMS or database driven system out there (many of which are bloated beyond belief). Nice to get back to static webdesign and have an editor that produces something extremely usable and which works for my needs.

RocketCake is what I have always wanted -- a modern version of CoolPage (which was never updated to keep up with newer standards).

I have tried every WYSIWYG editor out there that I could find, and I have abandoned every one because the code produced is too bloated or slow for my tastes and the UI of the editor was often too cluttered. Hell, for years I have stuck with Weebly because I could not find an editor that was worth a damn and at least Weebly was usable.

RocketCake was posted here at the right time for me. Weebly was bought out by Square and I have been with Weebly since their inception, and I am grandfathered in under a killer deal and pricing. But, I will not be sticking with Weebly since they were bought out and I needed to find an editor that would work for me. Dude, is literally THE DUDE! and saved me, by posting RocketCake. I am not using any of the templates, but they do show what is capable of. The ONLY feature I am missing is spell-check. I need that feature more than others due to the issue mentioned in my sig. Other than spell-check, the only feature I wish was built in was support for favicons, but that is easy enough to tweak the html generated. The free version of RocketCake otherwise does everything I need and although there are no functions in the paid version I would use, I will at some point purchase it just to support the developer. For me, the free version is more than worth the cost of registration for the pro version.
Best wishes to the PB community. Thank you for the memories. ♥️