Wouldn't this be an awesome OS?

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
mrjiles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wouldn't this be an awesome OS?

Post by mrjiles »

I've downloaded quite a few hobby OS's recently and began thinking of an easy-to-develop for OS (besides a Java OS). What do you think about a webbrowser-based OS? I'm not talking about an OS that you load in IE or FireFox... I'm talking about a solid browser based kernal!

Boot up computer to full screen browser (without any buttons). All popular programming languages would be supported.

Apps would actually be web pages stored locally. Desktop would be stored in a file desktop.html. What do you think?

I wish I knew ASM!
Killswitch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Killswitch »

It's been done :)
~I see one problem with your reasoning: the fact is thats not a chicken~
mrjiles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mrjiles »

Cool, do you have a name or link?
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

Before writing a kernel, you need to know how to spell it. :wink: And so for the question: How would the web pages actually do something? Like save a file to disk?
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Post by IceSoft »

Trond wrote:Before writing a kernel, you need to know how to spell it. :wink:
LOL
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Trond wrote:Before writing a kernel, you need to know how to spell it. :wink: And so for the question: How would the web pages actually do something? Like save a file to disk?
Serverbased OS: filemanagement on server, client just controls I/O. :lol: That would be cool, but slow. No usable harddisks on the user-computer (Or just so much that the networking and I/O part can be stored in there).
bye,
Daniel
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

DarkDragon wrote:
Trond wrote:Before writing a kernel, you need to know how to spell it. :wink: And so for the question: How would the web pages actually do something? Like save a file to disk?
Serverbased OS: filemanagement on server, client just controls I/O. :lol: That would be cool, but slow. No usable harddisks on the user-computer (Or just so much that the networking and I/O part can be stored in there).
And how is the server save things if it's based on a browser? Ah, so it's not really based on a browser after all, right?
mrjiles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mrjiles »

Obviously the browser couldn't be the only part of the OS. Sorry that I misspelled The Colonel (Sanders). j/k. I should have clarified a bit. BUT DarkDragon elaborated a bit.

Trond, like 99.999% of people out there, I have no clue what all goes into an OS.
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Trond wrote:
DarkDragon wrote:
And how is the server save things if it's based on a browser? Ah, so it's not really based on a browser after all, right?
Sure, the server can run something different ;-) . But that doesn't matter, because that's the easy part. The hardest part is the operating system on the client, because you need a program that can handle all WLAN cards, all Network adapters, all ... and the program has to interpret some code coming from the server and ... . The server can have a already known OS (Linux, Windows or even Mac OS). It just needs to run a server application receiving and sending the data from the clients.

Btw.: It's not the same idea of the original topic author because he want's the OS to be HTML, JS, VBS, Java, Flash, ... capable.
bye,
Daniel
pdwyer
Addict
Addict

Post by pdwyer »

mrjiles wrote:Trond, like 99.999% of people out there, I have no clue what all goes into an OS.
Sounds like a good place to start then :wink:

I strongly suspect that in a programing forum the % of people who have no clue about an OS is quite a bit lower :P

Since a browser is just an interface, maybe should just set your windows shell to be your browser and give your idea a go 8)
Paul Dwyer

“In nature, it’s not the strongest nor the most intelligent who survives. It’s the most adaptable to change” - Charles Darwin
“If you can't explain it to a six-year old you really don't understand it yourself.” - Albert Einstein
mrjiles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mrjiles »

The Windows shell has IE deeply embedded within, so you don't need a custom one: set desktop to webpage.

Anyways, this was not meant to be a deep topic. Just a thought. And I'm not saying that the OS has to be written in a web language. The OS can be written in anything. The UI is web based with all programs presented through the browser with PHP/Java/etc. backends with a mini-server of some sort. Take a common browser-OS that are out on the Internet now (that can be used with any OS/browser) and write a foundation.

pdwyer, I meant it as writing their own. If this was true then there would be millions of OS's out there.
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

But what use is it?

I am making a kernel. Currently it doesn't do much (it has exactly 1 thread, which it "switches" between). The thread can print stuff to the screen:
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Trond wrote:But what use is it?

I am making a kernel. Currently it doesn't do much (it has exactly 1 thread, which it "switches" between). The thread can print stuff to the screen:
Bradan OS!

http://www.bradan.eu/files/bradanos.png

:lol:
.. how will you do networking?
bye,
Daniel
Trond
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Trond »

.. how will you do networking?
No idea, I need to get processes working first, as the network driver needs to run in one.
Num3
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Num3 »

I would go for a custom made linux kernel with all the necessary drivers and only a web browser installed... :lol:

Then use google office online!