My 3D game project

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
KayBur
User
User

Re: My 3D game project

Post by KayBur »

StarBootics wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:15 pm
KayBur wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:42 am You are doing everything right. the best way to learn something new is to try it out in practice. Knowledge of theory alone is not enough, you need practical skills. Of course, a beginner will most likely not be able to implement the generation of random waypoints.
I'm not really a beginner at programming with PureBasic. I have started somewhere in July 2003 and I was thinking about this project since then. I have learn how to program for this particular project and this project only nut. But the journey took me to other programming projects along the way.

Best regards
StarBootics
I meant that the implementation of some projects can only turn a fairly experienced programmer in a novice, because it happens the subtleties that did not come across before. I had a similar one. Although experience with the programming language helped to quickly master such subtleties.
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

I just spent 2-1/2 hours tracking down a bug and finally got it. That being said it's not easy when you can't rely on the debugger to tell you where to look. Since this project is very big the IDE crashes when I compile with the debugger active. So I have to add many MessageRequester() and run the program trying find where the bug was. Doing this is not an elegant solution but it's working.

That bug out of the way I can resume the development work.

Best regards
StarBootics
The Stone Age did not end due to a shortage of stones !
IceSoft
Addict
Addict

Post by IceSoft »

StarBootics wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:45 pm Hello everyone,

I just spent 2-1/2 hours tracking down a bug and finally got it. That being said it's not easy when you can't rely on the debugger to tell you where to look. Since this project is very big the IDE crashes when I compile with the debugger active. So I have to add many MessageRequester() and run the program trying find where the bug was. Doing this is not an elegant solution but it's working.

That bug out of the way I can resume the development work.

Best regards
StarBootics
OnError is not working?
Belive!
<Wrapper>4PB, PB<game>, =QONK=, PetriDish, Movie2Image, PictureManager,...
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

IceSoft wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:20 am OnError is not working?
I have never work with that library before. I should have a look into it. That being said I need to develop a Tool to check between an Interface methods list and the corresponding VirtualTable content for mismatch. Because the problem I have chased was exactly that.

Another topic, I have play with Tween for animations purposes but I still have many problems to solve. It's a sliding door animation I'm working on and it is not as easy as I have thought it would be.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

I have nailed the SlidingDoor animation, I think, but if not I should be very close anyway. That being said I will have to take a break of programming and do some 3D modeling so I will have something to load, test and debug.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

While I'm modelling I have realized something about the loader for the 3D interface for the game. It could worked the way it is but I have decided to make a change to it to make it better. This mean that I have to re-write a portion of the code. I'm not complaining, it's part of the process scrap some ideas and replace them by better ones.

Another point, I have added a functionality to save a single image of what is being rendered and it work great. But I would like to make a recorder that will save an image at every frame in such a way that I can assemble them into a video or a *.gif animated image. The experience so far is not practical because it take too much time to save the image between two frames. Furthermore the image need to be flipped vertically and this process take time to be completed.

Something I'm thinking of while I'm writing this is to create a system that will launch an image saving thread at each frame. I will give this idea more consideration tomorrow.

For me it's time to go to bed and get some rest.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Time for a little update, the model for the 3D interface is in progress. The code review of loader for the 3D interface is almost complete. I also take time to work on the Octree space partitioning system and I had to review the BoundingBox definition. I can't not simply use the RigidBody position and insert it into the Octree because the same RigidBody can be present in more than 1 region of the Octree. I'm still using the BoundingSphere test as primarily test for collision detection. If the spheres don't collide then we move to the next two spheres to test. If they collide I need to do a mesh to mesh collision test and for this I have to think seriously about using the graphic mesh data for this or use a simplified version of the mesh. It's design choice I have to make here, so I'm letting this idea marinating for the time being.

Indirectly related to this project I took time to make an update on Dev-Object and I have another update waiting in the wing about to be released.

To make a long story short, I'm very busy.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

I'm currently into a debugging phase of the 3D interface loader and I progress slowly but surely. I still have a lot of work to do before I have something operational. I will not give any estimate about when it will be operational I will get there when I get there.

Something that have come to my mind is the fact that I will have to create some sort of 2D interface to do certain things in the game. I can't just go full 3D here it will be too complex to manage.

Another point, I have try the idea to integrate a recorder function to my editor and I have scrapped this idea after many try. I keep getting program aborted by external library errors.

Something I can do is to show one of the model that I consider to be ready for the game.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Some king of bad news, I have discovered a calculation error that can be in the Vector3, Matrix44 or Quaternion system. I can't continue without phasing out this problem.

This will take a while to solve.

EDIT :

After a deep review I was unable to find any error. I need to develop a different kind of camera control for the 3D interface and while I'm at it perform a complete redesign of the Camera system. The current way of handling it is kind of messy.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

A quick update : I'm making progress on the 3D interface loader but I still have serious problems with the Camera. Beside that I have added two features to the Editor it's self, a RecentFiles system and a system to show the X, Y and Z axis of the model. I also made many small miscellaneous correction here and there.

The editor program reached 67314 lines of code
The game program reached 56639 lines of code

I can't wait to try out the version 6.00 on Linux ...

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Another quick update. I have finally solved the problem with the camera for the 3D interface. Now with that out of the way I can continue with the debugging about why when the mouse cursor fly over an Interactive I get no response.

Since the last quick last update about 2 days ago, I have made a huge change about the Error and Warning message. Instead of having the MessageRequester() scattered all over the code, they are now centralized in a management system. Furthermore I was not satisfied with the regular MessageRequester() and I went a head with the MarkDown::Requester() instead. Something else I did was to add the help window based on the MarkDown::Gadget(). Special thanks to Thorsten Hoeppner.

So now the Editor program reached 75 520 lines of code.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

A very quick update just to let you know that the 3D interface primarily test indicate the animations are reacting when the mouse is flying over them.
As soon as I found a webm video editor to edit the video capture I just made of these test I will post it here.

It's gratifying to see the animation working after all the hard work I put in to make it happen. :D

That being said I still have a lot of work to do.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Another update, I'm struggling with a data structure and a TreeGadget() to present it to the User. This unsolved problem make the Editor partially broken at the moment. To be honest I have no idea coming to mind to solve it. I will find a solution, I'm confident about that.

Anyway, the Editor reached 77 240 lines of code.

Another subject, I'm considering replacing my 12 years old computer by a more powerful one.

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

Another short and sweet update, I have finally came up with a solution about the particular data structure and a way to present it to the user. That being said it is far from perfect and need more consideration. I also discovered a serious problem with the animation system and I have took time to solve it. But yet again this solution need more consideration since it work with the simple cases but not for the more complicated ones. Since the same animation system is being use for the 3D interactive interface and in game it have to work in all cases.

I took yesterday off, no programming, no 3D modeling/texturing, the break was needed.

Today I took the time to create an Icon for an auxiliary program I have created to edit a loading script for a particular 3D model format.

About the lines count for the editor : 77497 lines of codes

Best regards
StarBootics
StarBootics
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by StarBootics »

Hello everyone,

An over the week-end update, The animation system can now handle all cases flawlessly. The solution was in fact pretty simple, I have also discovered a mistake I made about the sliding doors animation, the sliding vector was inverted in it's direction. With all of these corrections the calculation became much simpler.

The focus for this week : Continue the work on the 3D interactive interface editor and continue the work on the 3D interface model.

As soon as the 3D interface edition is complete I will be able to start the work on the game program it's self. I'm super excited :!: :D

Best regards
StarBootics