It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: I owe my career to PureBasic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:26 am 
User
User

Bit of a story here.

My entry to the programming world was many many years ago when two teachers from my school came in to install FPS (a Lithuanian IDE for FreePascal) on our family computer for my younger brother. He was interested in programming, and I had no idea what that even was. I was fascinated that you could just write out text and the computer would do things based on that. I asked my brother about it, he taught me a bit. I watched video lessons on FPS, have them saved on my hard-drive as a reminder. After a while I wanted to look into different programming languages since I felt limited in Pascal. I went over to C++ with Dev-C++ for a bit, but wasn't satisfied with the advanced syntax and concepts it required, and didn't know much abour programming at all. I was looking around a lot for easy-to-use programming languages, and came upon PureBasic.

The examples I viewed really pumped me up about the things, that could be accomplished. It was extremely easy to use and run, allowed me to learn programming concepts while also letting me actually create things. I made small games, even made a Bingo dashboard, and it was exciting. Never created anything big, but I cherish the few files that were left over after a few times I moved computers without proper backups. Keep those files and upload them to cloud if you are starting out! Right now they might not mean much, but let me tell you, after 10-15 years they are live mementos of times gone by.

After a while I went back to Pascal and C++ since it was required for olympiads and exams, was the more "mature" way. Then came Java, Haskell, Ruby, Scala, JavaScript, Rust... Rest is history. Now I understand, that programming is more than the language itself. Yeah, some are specialized for some things, like systems programming, web programming, backend services, etc, but pretty much the same basic concepts apply everywhere. It warms my heart, that I finally fully grasped (back then) what "while" and "for" actually does while reading the PureBasic help docs!

This account dates back to the time I started dabbling in PureBasic. Before it programming was something that was hard for me to grasp. After it I knew that programming is what I wanted to do in my life.

Thanks, PureBasic! :D

Post subject: Re: I owe my career to PureBasic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:30 am 
Addict
Addict

xSoNiCaSx wrote:
Keep those files and upload them to cloud if you are starting out! Right now they might not mean much, but let me tell you, after 10-15 years they are live mementos of times gone by.

Yep, I love looking back at my old source codes when I started using PureBasic. It certainly shows how much your coding matures over the years, hehe.