MMORPG

Advanced game related topics
CoderLaureate
User
User
Location: The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.

MMORPG

Post by CoderLaureate »

I would like your opinions.

Some friends and I are in the design phase of an MMORPG program. I'm writting the server in Pure Basic, and the client will be written in B3D. We plan on using a heavy client design. (The client will do most of the work, the server will act mainly as a communication conduit).

Which is the better network communication protocol for this situation, TCP/IP, or UDP? I've heard that UDP is faster, but there could be some information loss. I haven't written a whole lot of programs using network communication. Any input you might have would be very helpful.

Thanks,

-Jim
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

udp/tcp

Post by Fangbeast »

Just from helping out a friend with running his ISP service for 15 years...UDP is great for small, local gaming.

But...If your MMORG uses a lot of bandwidth and you have more that 15 players, packet loss isn't a good thing on the net because that increases bandwidth.

Since you said the client will be doing all/most of the work; and you may have to deal with a variety of connections, (dial-up, cable, adsl etc) I would suggest TCP/IP, unless you have an extremely efficient and tight data updating system that keeps the traffic tiny.

Just my opinion.
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
CoderLaureate
User
User
Location: The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.

LUA

Post by CoderLaureate »

Has anybody had any experience embedding LUA http://www.lua.org into a PB program? It's a free embeddable scripting language that uses a C based API for accessing all of it's features.