3D acellerated 2D game

Advanced game related topics
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by mindplay.

I've written a very nice start for a game, with some pretty wicked particle effects, such as smoke, sparks, explosions, ...

http://www.mindplay.dk/temp/Bonk.ZIP

Control the ship with the mouse, press left mouse button to fire, and press SPACE to trigger a random explosion - this is just for demonstrating the effect for now, but don't miss it! :wink:

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to ever finish this - I have way, way too much work, and this is just a little thing I've been doing in my precious spare time, just for diversion :)

So I'm actually looking for someone competent to take over the code - it's well separated into many source modules, and fairly well commented, so it should be no problem for someone else to take it over. If you're interested, find my email address in the text-file inside the archive, and drop me a note with a bit of info about yourself, and references - I want nothing in return, except to see the game finished some day, I'll donate the source code to you if you intend to make something of it! The guy who designed the graphics is eager to design more, and I have a small selection of unused sprite graphics from him as well... Anyways, contact me for the details :)
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by benny.

Uhhh ... mindplay !

VERY VERY NICELY DONE! Thumb up .. the "smoke" of the ships engine, the explosion and the movement of the ship are GREAT! :)
Regards, benny!
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

not bad for my first game code since AMOS, huh? :wink: ... thanks :) ... yeah, I really hope someone wants to adopt this baby - a LOT of hours went into it, and I know it's going to just sit on my harddrive and collect dust, because my regular work takes up all my time now...
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by fred.

Yes, good start for a game... Very playable !

Fred - AlphaSND
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by Berikco.

Yes , nice reaction of the ship to the mouse movement , keep working on it!
And very realistic explosions, i can't understand how you game coders make this stuff :)

Regards,

Berikco

http://www.benny.zeb.be/purebasic.htm
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by Kale.

I would very much love to take a look at the source code of this beauty :) i can't promise to carry on your work though, i just wanna see how you've handled the graphical effects.

--Kale

In love with PureBasic! :)
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Kale, drop me an email (the address is in the .txt file in the archive) and I'll hook you up :)
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

are you sure your address is in the .zip file? i can't see it :)

--Kale

BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

you're right, it isn't there - strange ... I know for a fact that edited that .txt file and added my email address ... go figure :) ... it's:

m(at)mindplay(dot)dk

replace the (at) with "@" and the (dot) with "." - I'm a bit paranoid about my email address, it's been collected by evil spammers more than once, and I don't want to expose this one to email harvesters ...
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

take a look at this, its a little tool i coded a while ago that might offer some protection :):
http://www.garyw.uklinux.net/PB/ascii-ansi.html

--Kale

BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

most robots have been able to decode this simple protection for a while already ... if you want proper protection, see what I did on my homepage: http://www.mindplay.dk - the email link is searched-and-replaced by JavaScript when the page is displayed ... it would have to be a very clever robot to decode something like this - at least I've had that email address on my page for about 3 months now, and never gotten any spam yet :)
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

if you want proper protection, see what I did on my homepage
nice! my method is probably over a year old now, he he.. :)

--Kale

BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by Berikco.
Originally posted by mindplay

most robots have been able to decode this simple protection for a while already ... if you want proper protection, see what I did on my homepage: http://www.mindplay.dk - the email link is searched-and-replaced by JavaScript when the page is displayed ... it would have to be a very clever robot to decode something like this - at least I've had that email address on my page for about 3 months now, and never gotten any spam yet :)
Nice trick mindplay :)

Regards,

Berikco

http://www.benny.zeb.be/purebasic.htm
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by chr1sb.

Very nice!

I started making a game in PB a while ago with similar type of mouse control but the ship stayed fixed in the center of the screen and a big tiled map scrolled underneath.

Your cool example has inspired me to try and find the time to finish some of my abandoned PureBasic projects.

but how do you know what Sprite3dBlendingMode command to use for your explosion effects? I *still* don't know how to use this command properly and I don't know where to learn about it (PureBasic's help says this command is advanced users only so I guess that means I'm not an advanced user yet:))
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

chr1sb: the Sprite3DMode() function reference in the PB help lists the available modes - for detailed information about each mode, refer to the SDK:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... tureop.asp

if anyone from the PB development team is reading: you might want to add this link to the help, so others can find it easily? :)