small 2D shooter with some impressive effects

Advanced game related topics
mp303

small 2D shooter with some impressive effects

Post by mp303 »

For the first time in over three years, I'm trying out PureBasic again... I have to say, I'm afraid it still doesn't meet my requirements. I am still mad impressed with the speed, and some essential features like alphachannels on sprites has finally arrived, but that has taken well over three years, so at this rate, I'll be able to finish my game at the age of 50! ;)

But seriously, folks. Here's the game: download.

3D hardware and sound required. Enjoy. And expect the next update in another three years or so! ;)
Joakim Christiansen
Addict
Addict

Post by Joakim Christiansen »

This is really good mp303!! :D
I love it, make that into a game and you could sell it! :wink:
I like logic, hence I dislike humans but love computers.
vanleth
User
User

Post by vanleth »

Very nice, like the flow in it, cheers
benny
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by benny »

Awesome :!:

Great fx - and especially the big explosion (space) looks extremely cool -
well done ...
regards,
benny!
-
pe0ple ar3 str4nge!!!
xperience2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by xperience2003 »

nice :!:
mp303

Post by mp303 »

Thanks! :)

I would like to finish it, but my main problem is, I have a background of 10+ years with Pascal/Delphi, PHP, VBScript, JavaScript and a few other languages ... all of which are object-oriented ... it's very hard for me to go back to monolithic / function-oriented programming at this point, it's just too unstructured, despite my best attempts to write "neat" code.

I've been keeping my eye on PB for a good 4-5 years now, because I'm mad impressed with the speed of the language and compiler. And lately it looks like PB is finally up to speed on a few "essential" features for decent game programming, especially support for alpha-channels.

But I'm afraid this game will stay shelfed until (if ever) the PB language itself evolves into something with a little more structure. I need at least "basic" OOP features (simple objects with private/public scope and inheritance) to code something the size of a "real" game.

The only way I could code something major in PB at this point, is by coding it all without taking breaks - but with full-time job, girlfriend and two kids, that's just not going to happen. :)
Num3
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Num3 »

Lol, curious....
I have the source code for the original 2003 version on my code archives....

Looks has impressive today has 3 years ago!
Progi1984
Addict
Addict

Post by Progi1984 »

Some screens will be interesting.

I don't like download programs without knowing what it is.
whertz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by whertz »

Very good. Reminds me of Super Stardust, an old DOS game from 1996. It would be a shame to shelve it now, how about releasing the source so someone else can finish it? (not me, too busy on my own game) :?
Kale
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Kale »

mp303 wrote:Thanks! :)

I would like to finish it, but my main problem is, I have a background of 10+ years with Pascal/Delphi, PHP, VBScript, JavaScript and a few other languages ... all of which are object-oriented ... it's very hard for me to go back to monolithic / function-oriented programming at this point, it's just too unstructured, despite my best attempts to write "neat" code.

I've been keeping my eye on PB for a good 4-5 years now, because I'm mad impressed with the speed of the language and compiler. And lately it looks like PB is finally up to speed on a few "essential" features for decent game programming, especially support for alpha-channels.

But I'm afraid this game will stay shelfed until (if ever) the PB language itself evolves into something with a little more structure. I need at least "basic" OOP features (simple objects with private/public scope and inheritance) to code something the size of a "real" game.

The only way I could code something major in PB at this point, is by coding it all without taking breaks - but with full-time job, girlfriend and two kids, that's just not going to happen. :)
Go buy BlitxMax if your not satisfied with PB! :roll:
it's very hard for me to go back to monolithic / function-oriented programming at this point, it's just too unstructured, despite my best attempts to write "neat" code.
Thats your programming and organisational skill thats lacking, not the language.
--Kale

mp303

Post by mp303 »

Progi1984 wrote:Some screens will be interesting.

I don't like download programs without knowing what it is.
Shared hosting - limited bandwidth, sorry... (the zip-file is only about 250KB, contains one executable + 2 textfiles)
mp303

Post by mp303 »

Kale wrote:Thats your programming and organisational skill thats lacking, not the language.
Ha ha! :)

Sorry, no - it's the language... have you looked at any other programming languages? Most languages support OOP...
mskuma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mskuma »

Thank mp303 for sharing your work - it's excellent! :)
Kale
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Kale »

mp303 wrote:
Kale wrote:Thats your programming and organisational skill thats lacking, not the language.
Ha ha! :)

Sorry, no - it's the language... have you looked at any other programming languages? Most languages support OOP...
here we go again! Just because PB doesn't support OOP, it doesn't make it inferior to those. :roll: and actually yes, before i started using PB i coded in HTML/PHP and Python for a living. Python is probably the most OOP'y language you will ever use.

If you think that any language is gimped purely because it lacks OOP support, you dont know what your on about. period. I think you are too used to using RAD crap (drag and drop objects, etc...) to see any other way. :roll:

Over and out!
--Kale

Fleath//
User
User

Post by Fleath// »

I know I don't post much and mostly lurk, but is anyone else slightly bugged by how people get jumped on when they say they dont like part of PB? The guy didnt say it sucked, just he was used to other environments, everyone has preferances. Clearly PB isnt suited to this sort of thing, or everyone would be doing it, so he's allowed to mention that. If he hated the language he wouldnt be making stuff like this and posting it.

On the game, very impressive, the explosions especially. It'd be a pretty choice game if you took it further, even just some lame enemies that fly in circles or something.

Code: Select all

crush()
kill()
destroy()
Add to PB logo to your game today.