Failing to install 32bit Linux version on Raspberry Pi 4

Linux specific forum
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Failing to install 32bit Linux version on Raspberry Pi 4

Post by C87 »

Hello, I am having difficulty in getting PureBasic to run on a Raspberry Pi 4, the RPiOS which is a version of Debian.

I have unpacked the PureBVersion 5.73.tgz file and it does appear to have created all of the directories. I have
followed the instructions from the Install and ReadMe files
I have also run the script that shows from running ./checkinstall.sh Which is the following script:

sudo apt-get install gcc g++ libc6-dev libsdl1.2-dev libgtk-3-dev unixodbc-dev libgnome2-dev libxine2-dev
libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev libxxf86vm-dev libwebkitgtk-dev libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev

The only other install support I can find anywhere was in the PureB Forum but from 2003. I then ran the scripts from Feb 2020
with the subject "Win10 Ubuntu won't compile"
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74543&p=548499&hil ... or#p548499

The result is the same after running those scripts and PureB will simply not run, either from the file manager or the command line
From the File Manager, nothing happens at all. From the Command Line I get the message:
"cannot execute binary file: Exec format error"

if I run ./checkinstall.sh it returns the message "Everything appears to be correct"
If I run # pbcompiler it does not return anything, regardless of where I run it from.

All I am doing at the moment is punching clouds and not getting anywhere. I have uninstalled and re-installed to no effect.
Just wondering if anyone can point me to where I can find more, or even some install information/assistance, in order that I can
hopefully get PureB to run.
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!
User_Russian
Addict
Addict

Re: Failing to install 32bit Linux version on Raspberry Pi 4

Post by User_Russian »

Why did you decide that PB 5.73 supports ARM processor? Only Intel x86 and x64 CPU.
Wait for version 6.00 in which may be support for the raspberry.
useful
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by useful »

Dawn will come inevitably.
C87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by C87 »

I had seen some notes on 6.00 User_Russian but didn't connect the CPU.
One of my problems is that I'm new to Linux and thinking in DOS and Windows. I didn't know if it was a lack of knowledge or as you say, and I didn't cotton on, the CPU. Plus the installation information is sparse at best. Even after a day or so I'll still forget that directories and filenames are case sensitive. It wouldn't be so bad if there were some consistency but the Raspberry OS install has capitalised some directory names and not others.

Since your post I have done a search resulting in the following:
"Usually that error message means Linux doesn't recognize the file as a shell script or as an executable file."
"Typically the cause is running an executable on the wrong architecture - if you try to run x86 executables on an ARM CPU, this message comes up."

So that's it as they say. Thanks for pointing me to the reason. I should have realised but as Linux is so new to me I was looking for some other error that I may have generated. Six should be the solution I need. I'll spend the time until then bringing myself up to speed on Linux. Maybe by then the overdue 64Bit OS will have been issued on the RaspberryPi 4?

The RaspberryPi 4 has an attraction. For around £100 you can buy the computer with 1.5Ghz CPU, 8GB Ram and a 128GB drive (on an SD Card) that is booted up and ready to use in 20 seconds. :D

Many thanks, I know where I am now.

Thanks useful, I hadn't come across some of those.
If it's falling over......just remember the computer is never wrong!