It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: CentOS 7 and purebasic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:07 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I installed CentOS 7 64-bit with purebasic 5.70 b2 x64
The purebasic IDE doesn't start due to linker complaining about missing /lib64/libstdc++.so.6 functions (see screenshot). The "software" manager says the library is installed. Any hints why it does'nt start? Is it a version problem or some deprecated/changed function calls used in the purebasic linux ide compilation? How can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance.
problem screenshot

Post subject: Re: CentOS 7 and purebasic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:16 pm 
Addict
Addict

note the ++ in the missing library name.
There is also a checkinstall.sh in the pb directory, which you can run from a terminal to get more information.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:10 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I was using checkinstall.sh as recommended, but it fails on centos7 for libxine here) (centos7 problem2. Since i think libxine is some audio library and i dont intend to use audio at all, i tried to proceed without spending time with a fix for something i should'nt really need at all because i don't intend to use audio or video or any multimedia feature at all. checkinstall complains about libxine, sugggests to use libxine2-dev, the centos7 software manager finds libxine installed but neither libxine2 or libxine2-dev.

checkinstall in generell seems like "good idea, but for whatever reason, it is outdated/not working on your current distribution".

ps: i just tried to do what checkinstall suggests literally by pasting the suggested line and with centos it fails fundamentally because apt-get doesnt exist, i guess the package management is completely different and apt-get is from debian/ubuntu based distributions

Ok, i used the centos software GUI to look for libstd++ and i even installed different other compatibility libraries for stdc++ - now i have any package installed that it found, but the purebasic IDE still does'nt start due to the linker errors. See CentOS 7 Linking problem when starting the linux 5.70 b2 purebasic IDE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:06 pm 
Addict
Addict

I don't know CentOS.
can you install a version 6.. of libstdc++ ? because the screenshot shows lower versions. I never got linker errors when starting the IDE. Maybe its doing checkinstall on startup? You could try to comment out everything in there except the 'exit 0' and then try starting the IDE, just a wild guess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:09 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

#NULL wrote:
I don't know CentOS.
can you install a version 6.. of libstdc++ ? because the screenshot shows lower versions. I never got linker errors when starting the IDE. Maybe its doing checkinstall on startup? You could try to comment out everything in there except the 'exit 0' and then try starting the IDE, just a wild guess.

Linux resolves external references just like windows and even dos did. For Linux the commandline command to list the external references of a software is "ldd". I just did "ldd -v purebasic" and it shows the internal references of the linux "purebasic" executable that are resolved on startup of the binary. 'ldd' throws 3 missing references for the purebasic 5.70 b2 binary if its started on centOS 7 x64.

The following is output on STDERR with "ldd -v purebasic" on the 5.70 B2 binary when its started on centOS 7 (latest version, seems to be some redhat based distro, so no apt-get is used, but yum/rpm)

Code:
./purebasic: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by ./purebasic)
./purebasic: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./purebasic)
./purebasic: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./purebasic)

I am still working on some kind of fix for this. Let's see if purebasic 5.62 final works. Could be interesting to compare the linker information.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:03 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok i just installed und verified purebasic 5.62 x64 on centOS 7 and it works without linking problems. Purebasic 5.62 x64 worked "as usual" (just 2 glibc errors during startup/compilation but i got those always and even though the message claims its a critical error, everything seems to work fine. Loaded a purebasic project with about 16 sources, compiled it and the compiled binary works fine.

checkinstall from Purebasic 5.62 fails on libxine too. I guess i will write a bug report for the 5.70 beta2 and will just use 5.62, thanks again :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:04 am 
User
User

Hi
i have now hit this problem and i would like to run pb5.7 on centos7

this is what the centos forum says about a similar issue https://centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66090

Quote:
Your problem is that that file is not built to run on CentOS. You need to rebuild it or download a different copy that isn't linked against a newer glibc than we ship. Do not attempt to shoehorn a newer libc onto your system or everything else will break. It is the app that needs fixing.

is there a practical solution for me do you think ?