32bit Purebasic on 64bit Ubuntu 16.04

Linux specific forum
arma
User
User

32bit Purebasic on 64bit Ubuntu 16.04

Post by arma »

Hello;

I did read many many post and i did try everything... But none of them does NOT work for me...
Is there any goog tutorial to make it work 32 bit Purebasic on 64 bit Ubuntu 16.04?

Thanks!
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Re: 32bit Purebasic on 64bit Ubuntu 16.04

Post by heartbone »

Not that I am aware of.

However you might consider installing VirtualBox in U16.04 x64. It works very well.
Install 32 bit Linux & PB in the VB and hope for the best.
Keep it BASIC.
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

I also had problems getting PB32 to run on Linux Mint64, but in the end i figured it's probably just best to run a Linux32 VM anyway for proper testing (and ive never had problems running PB32 on Linux32) as its easy to install and lightweight, but mainly because Linux32 is still supported (whereas im happy to not bother with OSX32 testing and just use PB32+PB64 together on OSX64 - which fortunately works fine, because Apple dropped x86 a couple years ago - my OSX app approach now is: i'll release OSX32 apps, and if they work that's a nice bonus, if not oh well sorry but youll have to upgrade to OSX64 and use my OSX64 apps). My useless 2c :)
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by wilbert »

I also never got it working to run PB32 bit on Mint64. :(
Would be nice if it were possible.
Keya wrote:my OSX app approach now is: i'll release OSX32 apps, and if they work that's a nice bonus, if not oh well sorry but youll have to upgrade to OSX64 and use my OSX64 apps).
OSX is a bit different. Not only can the 64 bit version of OSX run 32 bit applications but the 32 bit version of OSX can also run 64 bit applications. The only requirement is that the CPU supports 64 bit.
So those few OSX users that can't run 64 bit applications never will be able to simply because they got a very old computer with 32 bit CPU. Personally for me the only reason to release a 32 bit OSX application would be if it depends on a lib which isn't available for 64 bit.
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

The problem is Ubuntu. I switched to ArchLinux because of that 32bit/64bit hell Ubuntu doesn't care about. ArchLinux has a nice separation of 32bit and 64bit and you can install the correct dependencies easily. Ubuntu packages are old and a mess.

[EDIT]
Btw. you could try to use linux containers or chroot with debootstrap or similar instead of a virtual box. They should be enough.
bye,
Daniel
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

i think i tried ArchLinux briefly once a year or so ago but i thought it was a CLI Linux (and also suggested by wiki) whereas Mint is GUI out of the box - is it easy for a linux newb like me to get GUI apps up and running on Arch? ive always wondered if perhaps i should have at least one other major different distribution to test with
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Keya wrote:i think i tried ArchLinux briefly once a year or so ago but i thought it was a CLI Linux (and also suggested by wiki) whereas Mint is GUI out of the box - is it easy for a linux newb like me to get GUI apps up and running on Arch? ive always wondered if perhaps i should have at least one other major different distribution to test with
It is really easy if you follow the instructions, but there is also some kind of fork of ArchLinux: Manjaro Linux. It provides a graphical installer and so on (I haven't tried it actually, but as long as it has pacman as package manager it should be good).

What you need to know is that you usually use pacman for mainstream packages which are in the main repositories. If you want something from the ArchUserRepository (AUR), you'll need to use yaourt. It downloads the instructions for building a package of the software, compiles it automatically and builds a package. Then it uses pacman to install ist.

And I just love the rolling release. I've only experienced one or two times where an update failed and I use ArchLinux since three years on my laptop and desktop. In the failed cases I could repair it myself again without reinstalling it. With Ubuntu I had one reinstall in a year.
bye,
Daniel
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

great info, thanks! i notice the homepage of Manjaro says "Manjaro Linux – Enjoy the simplicity" ... ok nice, gives this nix newb enough confidence to give it a try :D should i get the KDE or XFCE version? google suggested XFCE is based on GTK+ so ill try that first.
In regards to pacman yes the wiki page says "Manjaro Linux is based on a rolling release update model and uses the pacman package manager."
btw can i ask - if you're just using straight ArchLinux and not Manjaro how are you getting your PB GUI apps to run? or can you only use PB CLI apps
wilbert
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by wilbert »

Keya wrote:"Manjaro Linux – Enjoy the simplicity"
Simplicity :?
Tried to get it installed in Parallels but no luck with installing Parallels Tools.
Did you get it to work properly ?
Windows (x64)
Raspberry Pi OS (Arm64)
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

my main host computer is Win7-64, using the latest VirtualBox, Manjaro-64 is now up and running after a quick and problem-free install, but i haven't had a chance to play around with it or install PB yet
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Some small tips

Search for a package with pacman

Code: Select all

sudo pacman -Ss text
Install package with pacman

sudo pacman -S package
Update the repository cache and packages

sudo pacman -Syu
Never use "Sy" for installing a package! This means that a current version of a package will be installed that might not suite the versions of the other packages you have installed already.

Installing yaourt:
http://www.ostechnix.com/install-yaourt-arch-linux/

Search for packages and interactively decide to install them with yaourt:

yaourt text
bye,
Daniel