How to install libraries in order to compile projects?

Linux specific forum
marcoagpinto
Addict
Addict

How to install libraries in order to compile projects?

Post by marcoagpinto »

Hello!

I kind of asked this question before but no one replied, so I changed the subject a little bit and also the contents.

On older versions of PB and Linux I used to do the following in Linux before being able to compile:

Code: Select all

Go to system settings -> software & updates -> other software

1) click add

2) in the APT line field type: "deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu precise main universe"

3) confirm the refresh request

reissue the original command I posted and it should work in Ubuntu 14.04.

On V5.40 I read in the forum something like:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
EDIT: Now I am using Ubuntu/Kubuntu 15.10 instead of 14.

What happens is there are gadget issues in my tool Proofing Tool GUI, such as arrows not appearing in scroll bars and the ListIconGadget I was using accepts 12 entries instead of just 11.

A person in the forum said it had to do with the new themes that are bugged...

I was wondering if there is some kind of libgtk-2-dev around (and how do I install it?) that would make my tool work like it did before.

I could create new virtual machines and run gtk2 instead of 3?

What is your opinion?

Thanks!

Kind regards from your friend,
>Marco A.G.Pinto
------------------------
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Re: How to install libraries in order to compile projects?

Post by heartbone »

marcoagpinto wrote:What is your opinion?

Thanks!

Kind regards from your friend,
>Marco A.G.Pinto
------------------------
Use an older version of PureBasic that works for you. Based on your gadget requirements, 5.31 should do the trick unless there is a specific reason that you must compile with the latest version.

I'm still using version 5.22 because windowed graphics is a somewhat important function to have working in a BASIC language compiler.
Yes I know that full screen graphics don't work in version 5.22 for Linux, but given the choice between windowed only (5.22) or full screen only (5.3+), I choose to use the environment which supports program execution in a desktop window.
I still have some hope that perhaps, just maybe, in a future year, both windowed and full screen graphics modes will finally work in the same Linux compiler version and I can upgrade. :?
Keep it BASIC.
marcoagpinto
Addict
Addict

Post by marcoagpinto »

heartbone wrote:Use an older version of PureBasic that works for you. Based on your gadget requirements, 5.31 should do the trick unless there is a specific reason that you must compile with the latest version.

I'm still using version 5.22 because windowed graphics is a somewhat important function to have working in a BASIC language compiler.
Yes I know that full screen graphics don't work in version 5.22 for Linux, but given the choice between windowed only (5.22) or full screen only (5.3+), I choose to use the environment which supports program execution in a desktop window.
I still have some hope that perhaps, just maybe, in a future year, both windowed and full screen graphics modes will finally work in the same Linux compiler version and I can upgrade. :?
Heartbone, when the Ubuntu/Kubuntu developers fix the GTK3 bugs, will Ubuntu/Kubuntu update GTK3 automatically or do I need to issue a command for that?

I don't have great knowledge of Linux, so I may sound a bit basic in my questions.

Thanks!
heartbone
Addict
Addict

Post by heartbone »

marcoagpinto wrote:
heartbone wrote:Use an older version of PureBasic that works for you. Based on your gadget requirements, 5.31 should do the trick unless there is a specific reason that you must compile with the latest version.

Heartbone, when the Ubuntu/Kubuntu developers fix the GTK3 bugs, will Ubuntu/Kubuntu update GTK3 automatically or do I need to issue a command for that?

I don't have great knowledge of Linux, so I may sound a bit basic in my questions.

Thanks!
I am no Linux authority, what I can offer is an educated guess.
Yes a regular OS update should include any updates to those libraries and be available to the compiler.

Not knowing the specifics of the discrepancies that you are experiencing, my question is, are you sure the problem has been reported as a GTK3 bug to be fixed?
Keep it BASIC.
marcoagpinto
Addict
Addict

Post by marcoagpinto »

@heartbone:

See Oma's reply here:
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... 23&t=64001

He mention themes and such.

Soon I am going to create a VM with an older version of Ubuntu to see if it fixes things.
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

marcoagpinto wrote:Soon I am going to create a VM with an older version of Ubuntu to see if it fixes things.
Sometimes themes have only settings for GTK2 but not GTK3.
If you go into the themes directory (/usr/share/themes/) you can dive into your theme directory and look for yourself.
If the GTK3 directory is missing then that theme doesn't provide it.
You can also look which theme has a GTK3 directory and choose that one for testing.

You can test the themes with temporarily switching your compiler settings to gtk2.
Just enter gtk2 as the library subsystem and your program will target GTK2 theme settings.

BTW: Kubuntu is a Qt centric distro (and the buggiest of the ...buntu's)
PureBasic targets GTK therefore xubuntu would have been a better choice... with less problems.

Remember: not all ...buntu's are the same

I am to provide the public with beneficial shocks.
Alfred Hitshock
marcoagpinto
Addict
Addict

Post by marcoagpinto »

fsw wrote: You can test the themes with temporarily switching your compiler settings to gtk2.
Just enter gtk2 as the library subsystem and your program will target GTK2 theme settings.
Hello fsw,

I went to the compiler options and in the subsystem text box I typed gtk2 and now it gives lots of errors when I attempt to run.

How do I do it?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
>Marco A.G.Pinto
---------------
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

Huh?
Are you using GTK3 API directly?

As long as you use only PureBasic commands you should be fine.

Can you post the error messages?

Alfred Hitshock
marcoagpinto
Addict
Addict

Post by marcoagpinto »

fsw wrote:Huh?
Are you using GTK3 API directly?

As long as you use only PureBasic commands you should be fine.

Can you post the error messages?
I am getting linking errors:

Is there a way of fixing this?

Thanks,

Kind regards,
>Marco A.G.Pinto
---------------
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

The wording "...undefined reference..." in conjunction with the function names tells us that the standard GTK2 libraries are missing.
In order to test your app with GTK2 you would have to install them.

Alfred Hitshock
fsw
Addict
Addict

Post by fsw »

I thought you run Kubuntu, but your picture shows the unity desktop environment.
Do you run Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Alfred Hitshock
marcoagpinto
Addict
Addict

Post by marcoagpinto »

fsw wrote:I thought you run Kubuntu, but your picture shows the unity desktop environment.
Do you run Ubuntu or Kubuntu?
Ahhh... sorry... I compile my projects in Ubuntu, copy them to a pen and then test in Kubuntu.

Then, I take screenshots both from Ubuntu and Kubuntu in order to place the screenshots in Proofing Tool GUI's site:
http://marcoagpinto.cidadevirtual.pt/pr ... olgui.html