Project Editors Factory...

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
STARGÅTE
Addict
Addict

Re: Project Editors Factory...

Post by STARGÅTE »

Dear all,

just a few words from my side about this project.
Based on an older code published by me for transforming gadgets, ShadowStorm asked me to further develop an editor for handling and transforming gadget (or in general objects) on a canvas gadget. Since I find such an editor useful for my own projects, I offered him to write the core code for event and drawing management.
Because I already have a lot of experience with such codes (event, transforming and drawing management) "my" code itself is not extraordinary (just time consuming^^), therefore an open souce licence (for this part of code) would be fine for me. But I can also understand ShadowStorm, that he want "more" out of this project, because it's his idea.

@Mohsen:
Implementing containers and object rotation options is a necessity for the future of this project.
Since I have already successfully implemented such containers in one of my other projects, I do not see any fundamental problems.

@wilbert:
>> "Even if it were free and could be used for commercial purposes, most serious PB developers don't want to use a PureBasic user library without having access to its source code. There have simple been too much examples in the past from libraries that were abandoned and were incompatible with later PB versions."
This is a very strong argument to publish the source code. The project would be lost if nobody (only a few) want or can use it.
It is very good to discuss all pros and contras, and finaliy make a decision.

@Joubarbe:
>> "Not to seem bitter, but UB2D is also an unfinished project with a code that will probably be left private."
You hit the point. But from the complexity of the code development, the UB2D engine was some levels higher. But you are right, before a project will die or become useless because of a wrong publish/licence model, at least, one have to provide the code open source to share it with our community.
PB 6.01 ― Win 10, 21H2 ― Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB ― NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 ― Vivaldi 6.0 ― www.unionbytes.de
Lizard - Script language for symbolic calculations and moreTypeface - Sprite-based font include/module
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

ShadowStorm wrote:For the moment nothing is fixed and if ever I were to disappear, well, Stargate will do what it wants with the code, sharing it will then be useful....

For the moment I don't want to make the code public, and anyway nobody cares about it or almost then!

Look, the subject's been seen hundreds of times, hardly anyone's responded, see, so why would we make it public our hard work?

I told you, hardly anyone cares!

And when I talked about this project on the French forum of Pure Basic, I was almost rewarded with mockery and "this project with 0.2% chance of seeing the light", when it was already almost at the same point as today, a little less good....

Why should I share when I receive almost only mockery?!
If there were still people interested to possibly help us ...
Hardly anyone believes in this project...
I would love to start implementing some code for automatic aligning of objects (align to left, center, right border) and use it to implement a (long needed) visual designer for PureBasic with export options for PureBasic and SpiderBasic right away. The forum has had requests for that software since years and many projects where started, but nearly none was finished and made available.

But i am right now highly busy with 2 other projects and no matter how tempting the project is (and i am very temped to start working on/with this right away), sadly i know from experience that i can't work on too many projects at once :(

But this looks very interesting and potentially usefull to me.

And about getting "mocked" on some forum because of having a vision that others can't see. Just smile to yourself, ignore negative comments and be thankful that you can see and follow a vision that they can't see.

The majority of people just can't see long term visions - just do your thing and keep working on it and once you have a finished product, it will be you who has a product, a business and a community of followers / users (basically money and fame ;)

While the people who mocked you, will be left behind to spend their time mocking the next guy on an internet forum for a vision they simply can't see ;)
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
Mohsen

Post by Mohsen »

@STARGÅTE and @ShadowStorm : I wish you success in developing your project. also I would like to test an (executive) version of it in the future.
Last edited by Mohsen on Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisR
Addict
Addict

Post by ChrisR »

Really interesting project.
I'm pleasantly surprised to see this collaborative work with Stargate (not a common practice here).
I wish you all the best :)
kenmo
Addict
Addict

Post by kenmo »

Looks great, useful, and I know how good STARGATE's modules are! :)

When I find some more free time, I would be happy to test and experiment with it. (And return to my own projects and the PB IDE :shock: )
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

@Bitblazer,
Hello, thank you for this message, I take note, Stargate and I intend to continue the project, well if Stargate is still motivated, I am!
Mohsen wrote:@ STARGÅTE : I wish you success in developing your project. also I would like to test an (executive) version of it in the future.
What about me ?, Don't I get a say? Don't I count ? :( :mrgreen:
ChrisR wrote:Really interesting project.
I'm pleasantly surprised to see this collaborative work with Stargate (not a common practice here).
I wish you all the best :)
Thank you very much, we will continue, and receiving encouragement motivates us even more!
kenmo wrote:Looks great, useful, and I know how good STARGATE's modules are! :)
When I find some more free time, I would be happy to test and experiment with it. (And return to my own projects and the PB IDE :shock: )
Exactly, Stargate is very talented!
Last edited by ShadowStorm on Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am French, I do not speak English.
My apologies for the mistakes.

I have sometimes problems of expression
I am sometimes quite clumsy, please excuse me and let me know.
Mohsen

Post by Mohsen »

@ShadowStorm : What's New ? Photos, videos, gif ???
Please explain the progress of the project.

Thanks.
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Mohsen wrote:@ShadowStorm : What's New ? Photos, videos, gif ???
Please explain the progress of the project.

Thanks.
Hello Mohsen,

Currently I'm blocked, really blocked!
We can't create a DLL or a code library, we don't know how to do it, it's much too difficult.

I don't know how to make the code usable in PB but without the user seeing it (secret).

I don't want to make the code public for the moment.
But I can't find any way to do what I want...

The project is at a standstill!
Without external help, I don't see how to do it ! :arrow: :|

Mohsen

Post by Mohsen »

ShadowStorm wrote: Hello Mohsen,

Currently I'm blocked, really blocked!
We can't create a DLL or a code library, we don't know how to do it, it's much too difficult.
Hi again
Why can't you create a dll? what is your problem in creating dll Library?
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Hello,

It's too complicated, Stargate couldn't do it.
I tried to create a user library, it's not possible either....

I'm looking for a way to make the code usable but without it being readable, I don't want us to see how it was coded, but I don't have a solution at the moment!

HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

I guess the problem is, that a DLL has no direct access to any objects, like Gadgets, Windows, created in the main program.
You would have to move the whole Gadget handling into the DLL (via BindEvents) and keep the main loop outside in the main.
Maybe add another few wrapping procedures to the dll, so main will still be able to access gadgets.

But this is all nothing but theory, I have no idea which problems there really are.
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Yes but it's complicated and it's not the best solution anyway, the best would be to create a user library but I don't know how to do that and the code will have to be completely rewritten and then it will become a nightmare!

HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

No, the best solution would be to release it as is, as open source :lol:
Mohsen

Post by Mohsen »

@ShadowStorm: Has container controls management been successfully implemented in your visual designer component?
ShadowStorm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by ShadowStorm »

Not yet but Stargate is going to do it that he tells me but I don't know when!