HTML5 Browser

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Re: HTML5 Browser

Post by Little John »

When after the start of Forkle I change its window size with the mouse and then press [F1], Forkle again changes the window size automatically. Something similar happens after clicking "About Forkle" on the menu. The user has a reason for choosing a particular window position and size, so something like that shouldn't happen.
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

Little John wrote:Tested with Forkle 0.65.0.418

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz 64 bit
GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

60 FPS, smooth animation, CPU usage ~ 11 %, RAM usage ~ 76 MB

Problem:
I wanted to get back to this forum page that contains the link by pressing [Alt]+[<-].
That did not work, so I was "captured" on the ocean demo page. The same already happened to me before when I viewed PDF files on the internet with Forkle. This is a serious flaw.
Should be fixed in 0.65.0.443. Please can you check/confirm?

I'll look at the other 2 issues as soon as I get a bit more time.
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

Tested with Forkle 0.65.0.443

Going back to the previous page by pressing [Alt]+[<-] now works with that ocean demo page.

It still does not work with the PDF files on the internet that I tested, e.g. with this one:
https://math.dartmouth.edu/~doyle/docs/ ... scan/3.pdf

Maybe it has something got to do with the fact that I have installed the "PDF-XChange Editor" on my system, and as far as I can see, the PDF pages are displayed by a plugin of that program. However, the PDF content is shown inside of the Forkle window. Going back from that PDF file is no problem e.g. with MS Edge or Firefox.
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

Little John wrote:Tested with Forkle 0.65.0.443

Going back to the previous page by pressing [Alt]+[<-] now works with that ocean demo page.

It still does not work with the PDF files on the internet that I tested, e.g. with this one:
https://math.dartmouth.edu/~doyle/docs/ ... scan/3.pdf

Maybe it has something got to do with the fact that I have installed the "PDF-XChange Editor" on my system, and as far as I can see, the PDF pages are displayed by a plugin of that program. However, the PDF content is shown inside of the Forkle window. Going back from that PDF file is no problem e.g. with MS Edge or Firefox.
Third-party plugins are not officially supported in Forkle, although some may partially work.
In this specific case, I can only suggest the following workaround (but I'm not even sure that would work): When on a PDF page, try this sequence: [Alt]+[D] then [Alt]+[<-]
Last edited by firace on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

Little John wrote:Translating selected text by pressing Ctrl + Shift + T is a very good idea. Thanks for that!

However, when I'm trying to translate English text, I always get a translation from English to English. :-)
This is an example of a URL that Forkle generates:
"tl" probably means "target language", doesn't it?
I think it would be more suitable in most cases if Forkle would check the language of the user's system ("de" in my case), and then use that as the target language.
As of 0.65.0.445 (released today), a preference called "GTranslateDefaultTargetLanguage" has been added to the misc.ini config file. Try to change its value from "en" to "de" (and restart Forkle.)
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

Little John wrote:When after the start of Forkle I change its window size with the mouse and then press [F1], Forkle again changes the window size automatically. Something similar happens after clicking "About Forkle" on the menu. The user has a reason for choosing a particular window position and size, so something like that shouldn't happen.
Good point indeed - Should be fixed in 0.65.0.445 :)
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

firace wrote:As of 0.65.0.445 (released today), a preference called "GTranslateDefaultTargetLanguage" has been added to the misc.ini config file. Try to change its value from "en" to "de" (and restart Forkle.)
Works fine now. This feature is pretty much time saving. Image
firace wrote:Good point indeed - Should be fixed in 0.65.0.445 :)
The window size is not altered anymore. Thank you!

I still detected two glitches, sorry.

a) I ran

Code: Select all

forkle.exe https://www.purebasic.fr/english/
then pressed [F1] and then [Esc]. Now just pressing [F1] again does NOT show the help, but I have to press [F1] twice. It's similar with clicking at the "Quick start" menu entry.

b) The page that is shown after clicking "About Forkle" in the main menu looks somewhat strange in many cases, because resizing the main Forkle window doesn't have an effect on the "gadget" containing the license information. So if the main window is rather big, there are big white margins, and if the main window is rather small, the license information is not completely visible, and the big "Forkle" name can be on top of the text of the license information.
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

Little John wrote: I still detected two glitches, sorry.

a) I ran

Code: Select all

forkle.exe https://www.purebasic.fr/english/
then pressed [F1] and then [Esc]. Now just pressing [F1] again does NOT show the help, but I have to press [F1] twice. It's similar with clicking at the "Quick start" menu entry.

b) The page that is shown after clicking "About Forkle" in the main menu looks somewhat strange in many cases, because resizing the main Forkle window doesn't have an effect on the "gadget" containing the license information. So if the main window is rather big, there are big white margins, and if the main window is rather small, the license information is not completely visible, and the big "Forkle" name can be on top of the text of the license information.
Thanks for the reports, I've added them to my issue list.
And no need to be sorry :)
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

0.65.0.520 is out, with a few bugfixes and a new (completely optional) simple start page. The links can be modified by manually editing the start.html file.
To disable this feature, just rename or delete the start.html file.
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

Very interesting. Thank you for your great work.
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

The latest release (v0.67.0.692) has a few bugfixes and adds the ability to view PDF files (using the open source PDF.js Mozilla library). It's not intended to be a full-fledged PDF viewer, but can be useful for casual viewing purposes. Access it using the Alt+P keyboard combo, then drag and drop a PDF file on to the Forkle window.
(Note: a current limitation is that it can only open local files, not remote URLs.)
firace
Addict
Addict

Post by firace »

Minor update 0.68.0.718 has been released.
Includes a few bugfixes in the error handling and page rendering areas.

Just curious, I'd love to know if some people are still using this browser?
In the last 6 months I've been using it for 90-95% of my browsing needs (and Edge for the rest).
Little John
Addict
Addict

Post by Little John »

firace wrote:Minor update 0.68.0.718 has been released.
Includes a few bugfixes in the error handling and page rendering areas.

Just curious, I'd love to know if some people are still using this browser?
I still enjoy using Forkle on my USB thumb drive.
Thank you for maintaining it :!:
yrreti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by yrreti »

Forkle sounds interesting to try.
But the download link leads to download forkle_x64.zip with 0 bytes?
Is this program no longer available?
RSBasic

Post by RSBasic »

I can confirm that.
Alternatively you can download it here: https://www.rsbasic.de/backups/ :arrow: forkle_x64.zip