Old School Text Advenure System

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Phollyer
User
User

Old School Text Advenure System

Post by Phollyer »

Folks

I've written an old-school text Adventure System I call "Adventure Quest". This product can be run on any Purebasic supported platform; Windows, Linux, and Apple. I have avoided anything that would make it a Windows only system.

I have a Creator in which you build adventures in your local database (SQLite), You Export your Adventure, into a "playable" JSON Database file. This exported file can be emailed to anyone who has the Player to load it and begin adventuring! The Player loads in the JSON Structure, and once loaded they are "in" your Adventure! (If there is a lot of interest, I'll provide a website Upload / Download facility for sharing Adventure Quest adventures.)

I am planning on releasing this product as shareware, including the codebase. I just need a few adventurous souls to assist me in testing the code! Benefits for doing this will be great Adventures to share with your friends! Free Source Code of the project! Input into features available! And if THAT isn't enough!! I'll include YOUR Name in the credits on the User Manual!!

Adventure Quest adventures offer a built-in auto Adventure " GUI Mapping!". Adventure's are built on a 20 x 16 Grid of rooms, each adventure can have ANY number of Grids. Unlimites Items or Objects, Collectible Objects like Gold and Health Potions. Any number of NPC's with a built in (basic) "Talk To" feature, Multiple Player Deaths, Victories, Trap, Flags, and Switches. Adventure Quest has a Built in sophisticated, yet simple to use, "Conditions & Action" Structure which gives the Adventure Creator massive control of their Adventure, and the player an immersive experience playing it!

So, what I'm after is one or more Adventure Creators to help debug and add to the development!

I'll have images on my website shortly!

Pete
www.PAHLabs.com

Update:

Adventure Quest has been Released!
Karellen
User
User

Re: Old School Text Advenure System

Post by Karellen »

This sounds interesting - and fun! Would like to try it and create a little text adventure with it. Is there any donwload without giving my email adress?
Stanley decided to go to the meeting room...
wysardry
User
User

Post by wysardry »

Interesting.

Is this a text only system? I've been looking for something that doesn't include graphics.

Would it be practical (for others) to create players/interpreters for 8-bit systems?

I would be interested in testing if the answer to both questions is "yes".

You might want to consider changing the name. Wikipedia already has an entry for AdventureQuest and another for Adventure Quest.
Phollyer
User
User

Post by Phollyer »

To download there is NO requirement of a "correct" email. Just put in me@xxx.com will work fine!

As for naming it...I figure soon every name will be used. I thought it up with no prior knowledge. What's done is done. Bet they didn't write it in PureBasic...Nor did they give away their Source Code!

Pete
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Do you know about infocom's z-machine?
webpage - discord chat links -> purebasic GPT4All
Phollyer
User
User

Post by Phollyer »

I have no clue what those are.
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Phollyer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:29 pm I have no clue what those are.
Infocom is a company of the past who was famous for their awesome text adventures and the engine they used. They released several nice text adventures using this technology and ported the engine to many systems. Study their technology, their engine, their products and you may find a lot ideas or hours of fun playing those games.
Phollyer
User
User

Post by Phollyer »

Be that as it may, I guess if I wanted to "play" text adventures that would be excellent option. To me the fun, and challenge is in the designing and building of software systems, not the using of them.
wysardry
User
User

Post by wysardry »

The majority of people who currently write text adventures use one of the systems that can export files in a Z-machine format, as there are interpreters for most disk-based platforms.
Phollyer
User
User

Post by Phollyer »

As its related to Adventure Quest's development

I have released new versions of ClassBuilder. This version has numerous tweaks, and one major fix. The Major fix is to how the JSON Database generates record keys. The old version led to an instability in the program. Also I have removed the "Nag" screen, and removed the License Validation Check.

For those of you who have downloaded the Adventure Quests Source Code you will find that my Classbuilder Program was the originating creator of the code sheets, after that I then expanded and modified them as needed. If you are wanting an explanation of the Object Model please take a look at my blog.

https://www.PAHLabs.com

Blog:
https://pahlabs.blogspot.com

Pete
Phollyer
User
User

Post by Phollyer »

A new Version is Release .

Change is in the "Unique" Validation to ensure Unique within QuestID.
Lebostein
Addict
Addict

Post by Lebostein »

You have some local paths in your source code. Is that an external module? In the manual I could not find the phrase "PureVision64"....
XIncludeFile "D:\Program Files\PureVision64\Modules\Module_PVGadgets.pbi"
I wonder why this program has 28 MB (163 pb-files) unzipped source code inside... why it is so "massive"?
Bitblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Bitblazer »

Lebostein wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:29 am You have some local paths in your source code. Is that an external module? In the manual I could not find the phrase "PureVision64"....
XIncludeFile "D:\Program Files\PureVision64\Modules\Module_PVGadgets.pbi"
I wonder why this program has 28 MB (163 pb-files) unzipped source code inside... why it is so "massive"?
PureVision
Lebostein
Addict
Addict

Post by Lebostein »

Bitblazer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:49 am PureVision
The GUI of this text adventure tool seems very basic (some buttons and text fields). What purpose does this PureVision library serve here? (I'm just trying to understand, because I can not test as I do not have access to this library)
Paul
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Paul »

Lebostein wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:11 pm
Bitblazer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:49 am PureVision
The GUI of this text adventure tool seems very basic (some buttons and text fields). What purpose does this PureVision library serve here? (I'm just trying to understand, because I can not test as I do not have access to this library)
Just REM this line out as the source code doesn't use any features from this library. He simply forgot to uncheck "include PVGadgets in Export" when he exported the GUI project. (and this library cannot be publicly distributed)
Image Image