PureBasic 5.62 released !

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PureBasic 5.62 released !

Post by Fred »

If we don't fix a bug, it's because we didn't have the time to investigate it properly or we didn't found a way to fix it.
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

clarified, I remove the post, now
Last edited by walbus on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lebostein
Addict
Addict

Post by Lebostein »

Sometimes It would be helpful to get a reaction to a reported bug. Like "Ok, it is a bug. We are on it" or "No, that is a bug of a third party library we use, we can't fix this immediately" and so on...
for example here: http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtop ... =4&t=69710
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

It's the same handling as ever: we read all bugs (often more than once) and if we don't comment, we didn't started to work on it or we didn't found a way to fix it yet. It doesn't make sense to add 'we are on it' on every bugs. If a bug can't be fixed, it's usually moved to another forum. We also evaluate the time ratio to fix a bug: if it's a relatively small bug but takes an huge amount of time to fix it, it will be pushed at the end of the list and other bugs will get priority. Time is the issue, it need to be shared between bug fixes, new features, doc etc.
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Kurzer »

Is there any chance that the development team will be enlarged?
I think there are excellent people here who can do their part without you having to hire them as employees.
PB 6.02 x64, OS: Win 7 Pro x64 & Win 11 x64, Desktopscaling: 125%, CPU: I7 6500, RAM: 16 GB, GPU: Intel Graphics HD 520, User age in 2023: 56y
"Happiness is a pet." | "Never run a changing system!"
Fred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fred »

I won't be lying, PureBasic incomes are not big enough (by far) to hire someone, I would have done it already ! :). Many people are already helping on their own time (Timo, Andre, Comtois, Mesa, etc.) and if some other want to, they can PM me and I will see what can be done 8) .
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Frankly, PB 5.62 is superb. It is easy to find fault with anything, but PB is generally very stable and reliable. There is always going to be something that somebody "needs" that hasn't been included - but you can't please all of the people all of the time can you?

There other programming languages out there that are popular - but try to develop something practical with them and you will see why PB should have more respect (and more customers).
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

PB is the best basic I've seen so far.
The offer to involve experienced people in development is the right way, I think.
To be able to live on programming or selling self-produced software, or even to become rich, is probably reserved for the fewest.
If you don't believe that you can try it
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Fred wrote:PureBasic incomes are not big enough (by far) to hire someone
Time to change the license model for new buyers, then, and "grandfather" the old?
Roger Hågensen
User
User

Post by Roger Hågensen »

Dude wrote:
Fred wrote:PureBasic incomes are not big enough (by far) to hire someone
Time to change the license model for new buyers, then, and "grandfather" the old?
That could cause some blowback if done on the 5.xx series, and even if done with the 6.xx series the license would still be downgraded compared to today. Making something more restrictive is rarely popular.
If I was a new customer and had to pay for a (discounted) upgrade it's possible I would be unable to do so (considering my financial situation these last few years), it's not as much being able to afford PureBasic but rather that the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Same issue with raising the price. You'd get more money but could risk a drop in new customers, or less than before. It's also possible to set a too low price where the money is barely enough to keep the website running. Finding a balance is not easy.

I did come up with one idea that I hope Fred considers:

Code: Select all

Take the 10 most requested large features that would be costly/time consuming to add (and which Fred and co are willing to implement if they had the right incentive to do so).

Present this top 10 to the community along with a donate button for each feature. Each feature would have a minimum threshold that it must meet, and the feature with the biggest total of donations will get implemented first.

If all goes well more donations than needed will be collected, and this will aid the general development of PureBasic.

Setting up paypal along with a keyword (to indicate what feature the donation is for) should not be that difficult.

Once a feature have been implemented and the first beta is released the feature is removed from the top 10 list and a new feature is added to the list.

I might even donate a Euro or two myself if I also wanted certain features.
4 music albums under CC BY license available for free (any use, even commercial) at Skuldwyrm.no
USCode
Addict
Addict

Post by USCode »

Code: Select all

- Changed DatabaseColumIndex() to be case insensitive
Typo? Should of course be "DatabaseColumnIndex()". :D
IdeasVacuum
Always Here
Always Here

Post by IdeasVacuum »

Take the 10 most requested large features that would be costly/time consuming to add (and which Fred and co are willing to implement if they had the right incentive to do so).

Present this top 10 to the community along with a donate button for each feature. Each feature would have a minimum threshold that it must meet, and the feature with the biggest total of donations will get implemented first.
I think that is an excellent idea Roger +1
IdeasVacuum
If it sounds simple, you have not grasped the complexity.
HanPBF
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by HanPBF »

JetBrains licence model for professional version:
1st year 599€
2nd year 399€
next years 299€/year

standard version: x€ lifetime as is

Kickstarter like donations idea: +1
Kwai chang caine
Always Here
Always Here

Post by Kwai chang caine »

Yes that can help for have options more quickly 8)
In fact, it's a mini PB crowdfunding (Indiegogo, KickStarter, etc ...)

The problem, is the time...because even with the best will of the world, a day have 24h, and the team is surely fully occuped with SB and PB
And if FRED must hire someone, or more persons, the cost of the operation is much higher than one can imagine.
And running a business with a lot of staff is not easy (disease, strike, bad element, etc.)
Not to mention that you have to pay people even if there is no real job

To become a mini MICROSOFT is perhaps not the goal of FRED :lol:
An italian proverb often used in the french language say "chi va piano, va sano e va lontano" 8)
ImageThe happiness is a road...
Not a destination
Kurzer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Kurzer »

Roger Hågensen wrote:Take the 10 most requested large features that would be costly/time consuming to add (and which Fred and co are willing to implement if they had the right incentive to do so).

If all goes well more donations than needed will be collected, and this will aid the general development of PureBasic.

Setting up paypal along with a keyword (to indicate what feature the donation is for) should not be that difficult.

Once a feature have been implemented and the first beta is released the feature is removed from the top 10 list and a new feature is added to the list.
This sounds like a grat idea for me and I would pay > 10,- EUR for some of my requests... But I see also a problem.

It's not the time as KCC mentioned, Fred doesn't have to make more feature requests public and choice-able than he can work off in the given time. But what is, if the donation limit for a request was not reached and the feature will not be released? Do all those who donated money for it get their donations back? That would mean too much red tape.
(oh, wow "red tape", I never know this term, thank you DeepL.com translator for teaching me english :-) I hope it's the right term for "bureaucratic burden")
Last edited by Kurzer on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PB 6.02 x64, OS: Win 7 Pro x64 & Win 11 x64, Desktopscaling: 125%, CPU: I7 6500, RAM: 16 GB, GPU: Intel Graphics HD 520, User age in 2023: 56y
"Happiness is a pet." | "Never run a changing system!"