PureAV - Antivirus in PureBasic - finally here

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Inf0Byt3
PureBasic Fanatic
PureBasic Fanatic

PureAV - Antivirus in PureBasic - finally here

Post by Inf0Byt3 »

Hi, i am proud to announce you PureAV, an open source antivirus scanner
built totally in PureBasic4. This is the first public release and i guess it has lots of bugs inside. I am willing to continue improving it, but this needs very much time and help from you. I hope you like it and will find it usefull. The sources are included (please read the license before using it).

Download PureAV -> PureAV_v1.2.7z

[Edit]
Forgot about it, here is a small decoy to test PureAV :D.
Not.A.Virus.PureAVTestFile -> Decoy.7z
Last edited by Inf0Byt3 on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. (Goethe)
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

*ucking hell InfoByt3.

First impressions - outstanding work. Well done. A good show piece for PB4 I reckon. 8)

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get all the virus hashes from? You didn't really download all those viruses did you?

Anyhow, I'll keep testing......

**EDIT - hey keep this up and I for one would be happy to donate for this. A simple, but effective antivirus solution! Ever tried updating Mcafee antivirus? Bloody activex controls screw my system up almost every time!
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
Inf0Byt3
PureBasic Fanatic
PureBasic Fanatic

Post by Inf0Byt3 »

Thank you very much for the feedback and for the kind words. I am more than happy to build something that helps. I will do my best do make it work better than a commercial one. About the hashes... Yes, I am nuts... I downloaded all the collections I found... When I was entering the virii dir, my computer was freezing because they were too many :lol: .
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. (Goethe)
Joakim Christiansen
Addict
Addict

Post by Joakim Christiansen »

It's a very nice and professional program! ;)

Here is a little screenshot I made of it:
I like logic, hence I dislike humans but love computers.
Inf0Byt3
PureBasic Fanatic
PureBasic Fanatic

Post by Inf0Byt3 »

Thanks! Allready thinking to make a Control Center. I tried to make one but I didn't like how it was looking and working and I abandoned it. I will try to remake it as soon as I can...
ricardo
Addict
Addict

Post by ricardo »

Where we can update virus definitions? Are there some open-project to find this kind of stuff?
GeoTrail
Addict
Addict

Post by GeoTrail »

Wow, VERY impressive.
Don't have any viruses to really test it, but it looks freakin' A ;)
I Stepped On A Cornflake!!! Now I'm A Cereal Killer!
Inf0Byt3
PureBasic Fanatic
PureBasic Fanatic

Post by Inf0Byt3 »

For now, I don't have any updates. I need people to send me undetected threats so I can add them to the database. I need a place where we can work on this project. BTW, I am working now on a simple updating engine and I will repack PureAV as soon as it's ready. If you know such a place where we can work on open-projects made in PureBasic, please announce me.

[Edit]
Sorry GeoTrail, (slow typer :D)... Thanks.
kenmo
Addict
Addict

Post by kenmo »

:shock: Very nice! (although I have no viruses to test on)

What does this do to infected files, just delete them?

By the way, if you click Scan Path and choose a folder, it doesn't scan that folder...
Inf0Byt3
PureBasic Fanatic
PureBasic Fanatic

Post by Inf0Byt3 »

You can check the first post, I just added a decoy to show you how it acts when it founds something. It displays a messagebox.
About the scanner, yes, for now it only deletes or ignores infections, but I'm not planning to add disinfection support because it would be a pain and it's not a job for a single man... About the bug, it happends here too, I'm investigating this and I'll post a bugfix tomorrow. Thanks.
Inf0Byt3
PureBasic Fanatic
PureBasic Fanatic

Post by Inf0Byt3 »

@kenmo, check this one out :D :If I start PureAV from the IDE, it works. When I create an executable and try to scan a path, it crashes. Can ayone confirm this?
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

I can't compile because I do not have the required libraries installed, but I can confirm that when scanning a selected path, PureAV simply scans my windows directory instead of the one I have selected!
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
flaith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by flaith »

Tested with the fake virus inside decoy.exe => ran ok.
But when it returned on the main window, it lost all the infos about the speed, number of files scanned, etc... all the numbers went to '0' ! :?
“Fear is a reaction. Courage is a decision.” - WC
Inf0Byt3
PureBasic Fanatic
PureBasic Fanatic

Post by Inf0Byt3 »

Thanks for the reports. BTW, I think PureAV scans the windows dir first because the 'scan memory' option is enabled and it scans the dlls loaded in memory and the processes. Just try to disablw that option and make a scan... It should work. (well, excepting that crash after scanning 10-20 files).

@flaith: It's on the list now, thx.

I will remake the package, because it's a little bit messy and post tomorrow a nice 'remake' with all the bugs fixed and compilable from sources.
eJan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by eJan »

Great, keep making it better than some comercial.
Tested with EICAR.COM: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm but didn't detect it when scanned path.