FEHAL (FEatureless HAm radio Logger)

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Rook Zimbabwe
Addict
Addict

Re: FEHAL (FEatureless HAm radio Logger)

Post by Rook Zimbabwe »

You had me at "featurless" :wink:

Nice work!
Binarily speaking... it takes 10 to Tango!!!

http://www.bluemesapc.com/
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Lots of little changes. Export your v3 database to XML and after verifying that it is okay, dump the old EXE and PTK files and run this new EXE as it makes lots of little changes to the database.

Then import your exported XML file.

Changed QSLsent field is now locked at 20 pixels, no need to ever resize an icon only field.

Added Sorting on any field. Initial sorting on startup is on date, by user request.

Added Proper import form so that you can see what imported and what didn't. Rudimentary for now.

Added Tooltips to all other windows that I forgot before.

Added Fast ESCape key to import form.

Added Master list refreshes all entries when import form has finally exited.

Added Program remembers the last search string and restores it and matching entries on startup.

Added Refresh after import finished obeys last search string performed.

Changed Location column no longer autoresizes on maximise in case you exit and forgot that you did it because other fields may be visible past the scroll boundary anyway.

Added Help page linked for print and import screens.

Added For people with bad eyesight who have resized all the columns out of existence and can't get them back, press F6 to bring them all back into view.
Amateur Radio, D-STAR/VK3HAF
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Re: FEHAL (FEatureless HAm radio Logger) V4

Post by Fangbeast »

Since I don't ever get any Pertinent feedback, I've gone my own way and killed LogBook 2 and 3 and updated everything to v4.

V2 and 3 databases are not compatible with v4 but it doesn't matter as nobody uses my logbook right?

Links are on my home page in my signature and updated in first post.

I've massively updated the changes list for v4 again as I was doing some last minute Christmas bug fixing and updated and linked the help file again so that the package is complete.

------------------------Changes below------------------------

Changes:

Added When you save a new record, a default message comes up telling you what you can do with it and how you can find it as it isn't shown in the list after it is added as only records matching the search string in the search box are present at any time.. There is a new keyboard shortcut (F7 by default) that can turn this message on and off.
Added RecordSave message keyboard shortcus, popup menu entry, keyboard shortcut form entry, message keyboard shortcut detection.
Added ISO date conversion applied to print date entries as well, as internal dates are stored in ISO order for proper search comparisons.
Added Main form menu in addition to shortcut keys and popup menus.
Added Backup the database on demand.
Added Open someone else's (LogBook) database.
Added Easy reopening the default system database after opening a foreign one.
Added Search in a specific database field or all fields and restrict searches to that field..
Added Use powerful SQL search operators. =, <=, >=, <, >, SOUNDS LIKE, ends with, starts with, does not equal
Added Special form to allow mass addition of entries during contests. (This needs agreement as to the format)
Added Strength bars to signal and readability boxes in the data form.
Added All extra keyboard shortcuts for added options.
Added All menu and popup menu entries for added options.
Added Last field, last search type and last search string are saved at exit and restored on restart.
Added Country field in addition to 'location' which could be anything. Country is more specific as to location.
Added Flags of the world to the country field and the main list.
Added Contact type field (DX, Local, Competition, Anniversary, Unknown).
Added Contact type icons to the Contact type field and main list.
Added The optional save record message has been added to the save edited record routine as well.
Added When foreign database is opened, their info bar is fetched as well. Callsign and location.
Added When foreign database is opened, version number is checked and default database opened if it is wrong for the program version.
Added When loading entries on startup, first entry is set, statusbar is updated and search box is active.
Added No data is saved in add or edit modes of the callsign area is empty as it makes no sense.
Added When Add data form is opened, local user's default country is selected from the list.
Added A message saying that this is a bad log entry if the callsign is empty and the database ownner's name is prefixed in the message.
Added MultiAdd form help file linked to updated help.

Changed Pressing enter will check which part of the form is active. If callsign, it saves only callsign, if location, it saves location, if main list, it goes into edit mode on the highlighted record. This saves unnecessary processing and is better for portable devices.
Changed Saved some lines of code by making a routine much smarter.
Changed The print error mesage refers to the record being unable to be retrieved for printing.
Changed Open window error message in the print module referred to another program entirely!! (My address book program)
Changed Many error messages now contain version specific messages for reference. (THis may change if it drives us mad to read them)
Changed Settings update at end of program is single database statement to save processing.
Changed Replaced library resource with Windows API to save code.
Changed Readability and Signal strength field now only show the icons and not the numbers.
Changed New record will be displayed on save regardless of search string setting so you can see that it has been added.
Changed Duplicate records are now allowed as you may make contacts under a variety of circumstances.
Changed Statusbar string also shows the time of the contact as well as other details.
Changed Saved a whopping 259 lines of code with a smarter routine for one job. Works well.
Changed Readablity and strength show as '1' by default when add data form is opened.
Changed No data is saved in add or edit modes of the callsign area is empty as it makes no sense.
Changed Help file updated with all functions.

Fixed List will no longer show double slashes if the actual date is empty.
Fixed Record count routine returned before flushing the current database query.
Fixed Time string display is now empty if formatted time was empty
Fixed Main menu and popup menu were not updating the option tick marks.
Fixed Extra flahgs no longer needed in the data save routine as it is handled somewhere else.

Removed Unnecessary processing in the export module.

=================================

To be added

?????

=================================

Notes

The mass addition form is an experiment. Since becoming an amateur, I have been involved with conversations of up to 10 people at a time and being excited at my contacts (local though they may be), it is impossible at my speed to log them or anything about them except for their callsign and name. The experience hams are just too fast for me!!!

The idea is that you can quickly jot down the callsigns and names on the mass addition form and save the list to disk from within the program until you have all the necessary details to log them fully.

When you are ready to save the data, you can press the run button and they are added permanently to the program.

The mass add form is a simple notepad area where you add the details separated by the forwardslash (/) character.

Now, the questions is: Should I make the logbook user add all details before the program will save them )amd thus get confused about how many fields to type out and remember the right order) or some of the details and let logbook store empty results for the other fields until they are manually edited.

And which fields if only some of them?

My personal preference would be CallSign/Name/Location/Note.

This feature will not be finished until I get popular consensus about its' viability and usefulness.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Re: FEHAL (FEatureless HAm radio Logger) *Update*

Post by Fangbeast »

09/0q/2011 v5.00

Changed Name and location fields have the first letter of each word uppercased.

Changed Frequency, name and location changed to drop-down selector boxes.

Changed Error messages have been modified to be more meaningful.

Changed Some error messages that are not fatal errors are changed to info messages.

Added Lookup button for callsign field, finds previous record and fills name, location and country.

Added Error log writer. Writes date/time, module where the error ocurred and the message.

Added Error log file is only created if the session created errors.

Added A daily heading is added in the error log if there are errors in the log list.

Added Category field to data form.

Added Category field to list of SQL searchable fields.

Added Category icon shows in callsign field.

Added Category icons to category field in data form.

Added Extra column widths (contact type and category) read and saved.

Added Some missing tooltips on the main form.

Added A Quick info form for the current record so you don't have to open the full data form. (Needs more work)

Added All the extra code for the quick info form. And the form changes.

Added Category field to SQL searchable fields list.

Fixed Contact type missing from SQL search fields list.

Fixed Last record highlighted, not the first

Fixed Statusbar string returns the string again. Too manu modules reporting their own info.

Fixed Missing flags in list mode.

Fixed First flag in country chooser was blank.

Fixed MultiAdd routine overwrote file without asking (Gasp!!)

Link in first post. Database from v4.x isn't compatible to v5 format.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Minor update. The export function has been reworked to include the amateur ADIF specification. LogBook 5 conforms to ADIF 1.00, although 5 of the fields in the program do not have ADIF counterparts and are exported as custom fields as per the ADIF specification for such fields.

When asked for the output file, XML output is the default, but ADIF export is available from the output type drop-down.

Same link in the first post as before.
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

Anyone use this and have suggestions?

If not, I'll consider it done.
LuCiFeR[SD]

Post by LuCiFeR[SD] »

I haven't used a HF radio in years! But to be fair fangles, you are probably asking the wrong people. you would be better off asking like minded Radio enthusiasts on their own forums :) But, I don't mind taking a look for ya (as I have tooo damn much free time on my hands). If I have any suggestions I will pass them along :)
LuCiFeR[SD]

Post by LuCiFeR[SD] »

actually, I do have one suggestion :). why have a band combo box? it's very simple maths to calculate the wavelength from the frequency input by the user. I used to use CB frequencies from time to time, which in the UK and Europe were in the 11 meters band. That's the only real gripe I have with your software :P Otherwise it is bloody excellent. I would have quite happily used it when HAM interested me :P Nice job pal :P
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

The reason for the separate band box is that amateurs in a ham forum asked for it!!

You know what a raging bunch of sheep shaggers the established ones are???

If you don't do things their way, they don't suggest anything, they ignore you completely. In one forum a moderator actually came right out and told me that if I didn't put in what he wanted, he wouldn't use the software and it was useless. Then; when I complained that he was heavy handed; he told me that I'd "pissed him off" and he deleted all posts on the subject and wiped my program from the downloads list.

So, I added a lot of things they wanted and sneaked in a few things of my own finally.
LuCiFeR[SD]

Post by LuCiFeR[SD] »

Hahaha Jesus, I guess you get Zealots in every walk of life :P

So keep it as it is, it's not like it would really affect me anyway :P

but erm, haha, I wouldn't object to hurling a few insults at that prick of a moderator lol :P
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

I left the forum, was easier. Now that I can transmit on 2 meters, I am online most nights gasbagging and not coding.

Waiting for a rig control cable to arrive so that I can write software to do more interesting things as I am currently out of ideas (simple ones).
W4GNS
User
User

Post by W4GNS »

I just found this thread, and downloaded the program, so may be missing this , but ADIF import would be nice :D, I see you have ADIF export on the to do list

Gary W4GNS
Fangbeast wrote:Anyone use this and have suggestions?

Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

W4GNS wrote:I just found this thread, and downloaded the program, so may be missing this , but ADIF import would be nice :D, I see you have ADIF export on the to do list

Gary W4GNS
Fangbeast wrote:Anyone use this and have suggestions?

Did you check the drop down box that says "Save as type" when you select export? ADIF is there as a choice (Second choice in the available export type):):)

The posts further up this page also mention it:):)
W4GNS
User
User

Post by W4GNS »

Yup, The "Export" works great. I mentioned "Import" in the previous post. But after rereading the OP, maybe this program is not suppose to have everything :D . Doe'snot pay to post while sleepy.

But, The readability field could use an extra box, for us CW op's,ex: 599 369 579 etc etc :D

Very nice logging program, BTW
W4GNS
'
Fangbeast wrote:
Did you check the drop down box that says "Save as type" when you select export? ADIF is there as a choice (Second choice in the available export type):):)

The posts further up this page also mention it:):)
Fangbeast
PureBasic Protozoa
PureBasic Protozoa

Post by Fangbeast »

I mentioned "Import" in the previous post.
I'm currently hitting myself over the head with one of blueznl's dead, festering sheep for misreading the post.
But after rereading the OP, maybe this program is not suppose to have everything :D
1. I don't see why anyone would want to import from more capable programs into my very basic program so I won't put ADIF import in as you would lose a lot of data. The higher end programs that I have seen do logging support so much information that it makes my head swim. Or is that srod's armpits??

2. LogBook has industry standard XML import/export which I find more useful personally.
But, The readability field could use an extra box, for us CW op's,ex: 599 369 579 etc etc :D
If more than one person uses my program besides me and wants this feature, I would do it. (And if more than one person besides me uses this program, I'll eat my hat!)
Very nice logging program, BTW
Thanks. VK3FBAC