PB Magazine - The Concept

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PB Magazine - The Concept

Post by Mohawk70 »

This announcement relates to this http://purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.p ... 75#p308479 in a vague manner

I'm thinking about publishing a PureBasic newsletter/magazine and companion web site. I have a concept site up ( there's not much there yet ) but enough to give you an idea of what I have in mind. It's located here http://www.pbmag.net. Click the ABOUT link for details. I'd appreciate it if people would check it out. I'd especially like to know what kind of interest fellow members of the PB community have in such a project. I'm open to offers to participate, comments, suggestions or criticism - but keep it civil - I'm looking to enhance the PureBasic experience, not get involved in flame wars :D .
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: PB Magazine - The Concept

Post by Mohawk70 »

Over 80 views in less than 12 hours of posting, more than 120 in 2 days and not even ONE response ?
I would have figured that with so many reads at least a few comments, suggestions, or responses
would have been left. If there's no response, I guess I'll just forget about publishing any newsletter or
magazine and not bother maintaining an archive of libs and such since there seems to be no REAL
interest in this. On the bright side I can always use the domain & site for another use. PureBasic isn't
the only thing PB can stand for - Power Bikes, Peanut Butter, Pit Bull, Poker Bet, Power Book, Play Back,
Performance-Based, Power Ball (lottery), Page Break and a few other things I won't mention here :D
luis
Addict
Addict

Post by luis »

Mohawk70 wrote:Over 80 views in less than 12 hours of posting, more than 120 in 2 days and not even ONE response ?
Life can be cruel sometimes. Not like in having nothing to eat or a place to sleep, but this is almost there.

80 views and not a single reply.
"Have you tried turning it off and on again ?"
A little PureBasic review
utopiomania
Addict
Addict

Post by utopiomania »

Well it seems an ok idea to me, but there are already some great resources linked to from the PB site, and I consider
this forums to be all the resource I need, so..

I'm simply not shure if it is worth all the work, but that is up to you to decide. I would probably bookmark it though,
and visit it from time to time.
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mohawk70 »

The main idea was all of the stuff users create that ends up disappearing from the web over time.
It still happens even with all the other sites in existence. I figured that publishing a regularly released
newsletter/magazine with new content would keep things fresh and maybe even attract new users who'd
purchase PureBasic. Even create a central store online where everyone could sell their PureBasic created
software via their own PayPal /Google Checkout / Merchant Accounts etc. Sort of like the iPhone and
Android app stores - but payments handled directly by the developer - no middleman and no fees !
Maybe even host open source projects & freeware downloads. Oh well - on to bigger and better things !

EDIT :
Oh - and thanks for your responses luis & utopiamania ! I appreciate it.
UserOfPure
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by UserOfPure »

Mohawk70 wrote:Over 80 views in less than 12 hours of posting, more than 120 in 2 days and not even ONE response ?
So? I'm interested but why do I have to reply? I had a look, as did 119 other people. To me, that means 120 people ARE interested. As utopiomania said, I've got it bookmarked too to check later. But there's nothing there right now. Maybe that's why there's been no comments so far. What are supposed to reply with? "Hi, I went there but everything just says 'Coming Soon'. Real interesting!" :roll: It's basically a 404 site at this stage, when you think about it.
swan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by swan »

Great idea. Be aware of the work the site will take if done right though. If you've done this sort of thing before you know what I mean. If not be prepared. If the site is mostly stuff collected from other sites or resources people will lose interest. To be successful be innovative.
Good Luck !!!
Rook Zimbabwe
Addict
Addict

Post by Rook Zimbabwe »

Yop... it will be a bit of a job but if you need articles or inneriews drop me a message! :mrgreen:
Binarily speaking... it takes 10 to Tango!!!

http://www.bluemesapc.com/
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mohawk70 »

UserOfPure wrote:
So? I'm interested but why do I have to reply? I had a look, as did 119 other people. To me, that means 120 people ARE interested. As utopiomania said, I've got it bookmarked too to check later. But there's nothing there right now. Maybe that's why there's been no comments so far. What are supposed to reply with? "Hi, I went there but everything just says 'Coming Soon'. Real interesting!" :roll: It's basically a 404 site at this stage, when you think about it.
No - I never said, nor meant, anyone HAD to reply. And yes, you're right - it is basically just a 404 site right now. That's why I labeled my post as 'the concept'. The domain was registered , the graphics and site layout designed & put live within a matter of hours. My intent was to gauge interest and get feedback on what people might be interested in finding - or not - at the site. Some may want things I've not thought of. I figure the more feedback I receive, the better the project can be tailored to what is most desired. Nothing more, nothing less. And once again to EVERYONE who has given feedback - THANK YOU!
Rescator
Addict
Addict

Post by Rescator »

The newsletter idea is cool. There is certainly enough stuff happening around PureBasic for maybe a weekly newsletter.
As for archiving stuff. There is at least two sites that does this. as to sites/apps vanishing. If something is popular it will be remade/reappear. There is also a bunch of software archive sites out there, it's the developers fault for not taking advantage of those.

so again, go with the newsletter thing, use the site to arhice the newsletters.
Then see where things go from there.
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mohawk70 »

Rescator wrote:The newsletter idea is cool. There is certainly enough stuff happening around PureBasic for maybe a weekly newsletter.
As for archiving stuff. There is at least two sites that does this. as to sites/apps vanishing. If something is popular it will be remade/reappear. There is also a bunch of software archive sites out there, it's the developers fault for not taking advantage of those.

so again, go with the newsletter thing, use the site to arhice the newsletters.
Then see where things go from there.
I think you're on the right track there. I think I'll begin with the newsletter as a starting point, adding other features to the site as time goes by.
I'm thinking either monthly or every two weeks to start. I think it's appropriate to add a forum there and having any further discussion on this
there instead of using the community forum here. When its up I'll post a message here.
SFSxOI
Addict
Addict

Post by SFSxOI »

Neat idea i think :)

(wheres the centerfold? ;) )
The advantage of a 64 bit operating system over a 32 bit operating system comes down to only being twice the headache.
Rook Zimbabwe
Addict
Addict

Post by Rook Zimbabwe »

Srod is posing for the first centerfold (assuming we can negotiate the staple!)

I miss the Blitz Magazine I used to get! This could be extremely cool!
Binarily speaking... it takes 10 to Tango!!!

http://www.bluemesapc.com/
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mohawk70 »

Progress Report
* Adding 'Site Search'
* I'm in the process of writing some articles for the new site. The first will be a tutorial on regular expressions
and implementing them in BASIC. Will also release a companion RegEx tool (coded in PureBasic of course) !
Estimated publication date : FRI 15-JAN-2010.
ts-soft
Always Here
Always Here

Post by ts-soft »

you have a small bug on history basic site.

greetings
thomas