Visual PureBasic

Developed or developing a new product in PureBasic? Tell the world about it.
PB
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by PB »

> out of the Screenshots, it doesn't seem to be more useful than the normal IDE

WTF? Have you even tried it? It's a visual form designer AND editor built into one!
As in: draw your button on the form, set its properties, double-click it and write
the event code for a click. The normal IDE doesn't do all of that (only the code).
I compile using 5.31 (x86) on Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit).
"PureBasic won't be object oriented, period" - Fred.
srod
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by srod »

Yes, if this thing is seen through to completion then it will be absolutely awesome. I may even reconsider my policy of not using visual form designers (very much an old school type roll your sleeves up and get stuck in programmer! :wink:)

Whoever is behind it must be stinky-filthy rich though to be able to release it open-source and for free, -considering how much time must have gone in to it already! :)

Who is the damn author? Fangbeast is it you? And all along you've been doing an impression of a complete jibbering idiot! A damn good impression mind! :wink:
I may look like a mule, but I'm not a complete ass.
SFSxOI
Addict
Addict

Post by SFSxOI »

So all this is , is really a changed IDE? and thats it? Looks nice though.
Marco2007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Marco2007 »

milan1612 wrote:He/She is definitely a German - the comments in the code are in German :P
...could be also an Austrian :wink:

If I´ll try Visual PureBasic IDE.exe, I`ll get an error. How can I start that app?
PureBasic for Windows
X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by X »

PB wrote:> out of the Screenshots, it doesn't seem to be more useful than the normal IDE

WTF? Have you even tried it? It's a visual form designer AND editor built into one!
As in: draw your button on the form, set its properties, double-click it and write
the event code for a click. The normal IDE doesn't do all of that (only the code).
Lol, a true IDE is a visual designer and a code editor in one :) Everything else is either a visual designer OR a code editor :)

I think thats what he means by a normal IDE. It doesnt look any more different then the other IDEs out there such as Visual Studio, Delphi, PowerBuilder, RealBasic, etc.
Violet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IDE

Post by Violet »

Mh, my understanding of an IDE doesn't include a visual designer... further it isn't also that necessary (ok, you can say it on the hard way an say that everything in an IDE is not necessary ^^).
Also I am not a friend of Visual Studio (ok, I like to work with the Express Versions, but they are still so overloaded).

Just was my opinion, and my point of view (I don't really work that much with Window Applications).
best regards,

Violet
Rook Zimbabwe
Addict
Addict

Post by Rook Zimbabwe »

Mh, my understanding of an IDE doesn't include a visual designer...
Hmmm... I had one when I used VB4... did they remove it in later editions?

I think I have a free copy of VC6++ somewhere... Let me see if one is in there...

:wink:
Binarily speaking... it takes 10 to Tango!!!

http://www.bluemesapc.com/
DarkDragon
Addict
Addict

Post by DarkDragon »

Visual Designers need layoutmanagers or dockings, otherwise I would never code any large applications with it. If you do any changes to the gui you nearly have to rewrite 100% of the resizing code without layouts.
bye,
Daniel
Kaeru Gaman
Addict
Addict

Re: IDE

Post by Kaeru Gaman »

X wrote:... a true IDE is a visual designer and a code editor in one ...
Violet wrote:... my understanding of an IDE doesn't include a visual designer...
You are both wrong!

IDE just means "Integrated Development Environment"
If the designer of the compiler wants to build it with VD, without VD,
or with a system that lets you combine differently colored M&Ms to produce code
is completely up to him.
oh... and have a nice day.
Tipperton
Addict
Addict

Post by Tipperton »

Rook Zimbabwe wrote:
Mh, my understanding of an IDE doesn't include a visual designer...
Hmmm... I had one when I used VB4... did they remove it in later editions?
Yes, all versions of Visual Basic after VB4 have a built in visual designer.
X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by X »

Kaeru Gaman wrote: You are both wrong!

IDE just means "Integrated Development Environment"
We each have our own opinions :) Wikipedia is usually wrong on everything on it, I have come to find out.

Anyhow, back on topic ..

I would venture that the topic starter is the one who created that IDE.
Mohawk70
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Mohawk70 »

<snip>or with a system that lets you combine differently colored M&Ms to produce code is completely up to him.</snip>
Hmmmm. . . that gets me thinking ! :twisted:

What do you think about Skittles ?
Last edited by Mohawk70 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kukulkan
Addict
Addict

Post by Kukulkan »

I think this is a great idea and I have had such an idea by myself about one year ago. But the needed work to rewrite the visual designer has stopped me directly.

It would be great, if the existing source of the current Visual Designer or PureForm would get used to build such a project. Simply double-clicking on a gadget to edit the most common event-code will be great. Right click will open a popup-menu to select the event you like to edit. Simple but very effective. I would love it surely!

It will need a good event-management engine, but I think there are some available on the forum here. I surely will have an eye on it...

Sadly that it was developed in .NET. It will speed up development, but this project will never be available on Linux or MacOS. I know about MONO but forget it...

Kukulkan
pdwyer
Addict
Addict

Post by pdwyer »

I'd prefer a tool to have more project and organisational control.

When I used powerbasic I bought a third party tool called Lynx Project explorer http://www.zippety.net/ and it had tools and links and organisation features all docked to your IDE. I miss that.

I don't have a big problem with the current PB IDE
Paul Dwyer

“In nature, it’s not the strongest nor the most intelligent who survives. It’s the most adaptable to change” - Charles Darwin
“If you can't explain it to a six-year old you really don't understand it yourself.” - Albert Einstein
Kale
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Kale »

Kukulkan wrote:Sadly that it was developed in .NET. It will speed up development, but this project will never be available on Linux or MacOS. I know about MONO but forget it...
Wow! Do you know that the new version of mono has just been realeased and now supports ALL C# 3.0 + .NET 2.0 features! (.NET 3.5 is very nearly complete). So this project will work just fine on Linux and Mac as long as no p/invokes are used.
--Kale