Include Binary Crashing Program

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
RASHAD
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Re: Include Binary Crashing Program

Post by RASHAD »

Hi
Can you post your configuration :
- OS
- PB version
- CPU
- Physical memory
- Virtual memory
- Available Virtual Memory
- GPU
Maybe we can point out the problem
Egypt my love
Saki
Addict
Addict

Post by Saki »

Well, first I would then test the ram with a diagnostic tool.

How many images do you embed, how big are they ?
This should not be relevant, but a little insight into what exactly you are doing would not be wrong.

I don't think your problem is solvable like this, because everything you can be told is pure speculation.
地球上の平和
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

Have you tried running it with Debugger enabled?
Have you tried running it with Purifier enabled?
Also try running it in a debugger like Ollydbg to find out where it's crashing
FourthStone
User
User

Post by FourthStone »

I think I have posted most of the info but maybe scattered among different posts.
Win 7 x64
5.73 LTS x86
i5-2500K 3.3 ghz
8gb ram
16gb vram (13.2 free)
RX 570 GPU

* Initial error was detected when running project from IDE, it would crash after 5 seconds, this is without moving mouse or keyboard
* Program works with debugger enabled
* Program initially worked ok from a compiled version
* Program will sometimes crash without debugger or display the Polink access denied error
* Unable to compile exe, polink access denied.
* Other projects compile and run from IDE without issue, no Polink errors
* Polink errors go away if I comment out 2 PNG resource files
* Entire project with all PNG resource files compiles, launches correctly without debugger on another PC (win10) with same PB version.
* Earlier version of the project works correctly without debugger, I can introduce the error by adding the resource files from the latest version
* Haven't tried purifier or other debugger
* 11 Images are added to the project, only 2 of them seem to cause the crashes, the files are small - <1k , 50x150 and 50x250 pixels

My system is pretty old, coming on 10 years, thinking of replacing or rebuilding, really wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue?
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

FourthStone wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:13 am * Haven't tried purifier or other debugger
Please do. Purifier is pretty good at finding memory corruption issues. If no luck with that, a debugger will show you where it's crashing ... eg. is it crashing within the code of your .exe? or within a Windows DLL during an API call? or...?
FourthStone wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:13 am My system is pretty old, coming on 10 years, thinking of replacing or rebuilding, really wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue?
It still sounds like a software/program or compiler issue to me, not related to your system
Saki
Addict
Addict

Post by Saki »

Try it with the x64 compiler.
and there is no way around the test with the purifier.

In principle, the test with the purifier should always be performed cyclically !

I myself once had the purifier on all the time for one thing.
Surprisingly, it ran with Purifier, but crashed without it.
That was bad to find.
Similar problems are described and people despair, because it is usually only at a later stage of development noticeable or occurs.

This also happens if you leave a select case unclean, e.g. with Goto.
地球上の平和
RASHAD
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by RASHAD »

Hi
Maybe it's a memory chunk barrier problem
So I suggest :
1- Use start & end pointer for each data
2- Use (size parameter) in Result = CatchImage(#Image, *MemoryAddress [, Size])
3- Check the Result
4- Change the order position of Data in DataSection
Good luck

Code: Select all

ToolStripMain:       : IncludeBinary #PB_Compiler_FilePath + "/ART_TOOL_Buttons_02.BMP" :ToolStripMainEnd:
...................... ; Other data segment
...................... ; Other data segment
ToolStripMain2:      : IncludeBinary #PB_Compiler_FilePath + "/ART_TOOL_Palette_01.BMP" :ToolStripMain2End:
Egypt my love
FourthStone
User
User

Post by FourthStone »

No luck with the purifier or moving chunks of data items around.

But... on a whim I created 2 completely new graphic files, then pasted the images from the 2 trouble files, so far I am not having any crashes and I can compile again and I can run the program without the debugger.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if the troubles return, my thinking is that I have possibly created the 2 files on the win10 PC and there could be a permissions or attribute difference between files created on win10 and copied to my win7 PC... :?: :?: :?:

I might do a test of the above, create a file on win 10 and copy to the win 7 and include in the project, see if I can pinpoint the trigger.

Thank you everyone for suggestions and listening, sometimes just explaining the issue is enough to realize the problem but this one was really driving me quite bonkers :!:
FourthStone
User
User

Post by FourthStone »

Just when I thought I was in the clear... Defender is deleting my nice new compiled exe when I try to run it :lol:
FourthStone
User
User

Post by FourthStone »

I think it's solved, for anyone else going through something similar check the Windows Antimalware Security Essentials log to see if it is detecting a threat and deleting your files.

Not sure why it took me so long to find this out, it wasn't until I realized the compiled exe was being trashed that I checked the logs and noticed it was deleting the temporary compiled file the compiler / IDE creates. I wasn't getting any notifications about it either, just the weird crashing behavior which was made more mysterious as I was able to partially get around the behavior with random code changes... how frustrating as the problem would resurface again after I thought I'd fixed the suspect code!

Process being trashed: Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml

:x :oops: :?: :cry:

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance, hopefully the above comes in handy for anyone else with similar problems.
Saki
Addict
Addict

Post by Saki »

Well, you should get rid of Win7 and x86.
You shouldn't even use the Internet with Win7 anymore.
地球上の平和
Keya
Addict
Addict

Post by Keya »

FourthStone wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:06 pm Process being trashed: Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml
A quick google of that suggests it's malware? So are you infected with malware, or is this another false positive by poorly written antivirus signatures? or... ?
FourthStone
User
User

Post by FourthStone »

I'm pretty sure it's not a malware issue, the only events I have in Security Essentials are directly related to the compilation process for PB.
Saki wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:24 pm Well, you should get rid of Win7 and x86.
You shouldn't even use the Internet with Win7 anymore.
The program is made for a person who has to use x86, I used to compile it as x64 in the early stages but they couldn't run it on their system.

Interesting fact that Win7 is still actively being used on over 100 million PCs world wide, I will upgrade to a new PC with Win10 sometime this year hopefully but I don't think it's going away for a lot of people unless their PCs die.