Hello all, testing demo, have a few general questions

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
NaomiSloan
New User
New User

Hello all, testing demo, have a few general questions

Post by NaomiSloan »

Hello everyone

I have the windows demo version of 5.70 LTS (x64) installed and have been going through it.

I have been looking at source code from examples and from various websites and I like what I see so far but I do have a few questions. Hopefully I can ask them all here and this site does not require 1 post per question.

Is there a way to detect if the Escape key has been pressed in a windows non-console loop such as:

Repeat
.. gadgets and wizardy stuff here
.. including KeypressedEvent detected!
Until EndConditionMet

The keyboard commands seem to be reserved for console apps. I would like to detect ESC for various reasons (for example, to close info and aux windows that were opened and if none opened, ask if app is to shut down, and so on). My apologies if this is in the manual and I have just missed it.

Some code downloaded from support sites have commands that have vanished, like

UseFile(#filenumber)
CreateGadgetList(WindowID(#num))

Is there a place where what these do/did (and what to do instead, what replaces them) can be found?

I cannot find where to set up preferred default folders/directories.

And what does the LTS stand for. :)

Thank you.
Demivec
Addict
Addict

Re: Hello all, testing demo, have a few general questions

Post by Demivec »

Welcome NaomiSloan! :)
Is there a way to detect if the Escape key has been pressed in a windows non-console loop such as:

Repeat
.. gadgets and wizardy stuff here
.. including KeypressedEvent detected!
Until EndConditionMet
Look in this link to the online manual for AddKeyboardShortcut(). This causes a menu event to be generated when the desired key is pressed (when a window is in focus) which can be acted on.
Some code downloaded from support sites have commands that have vanished, like

UseFile(#filenumber)
CreateGadgetList(WindowID(#num))

Is there a place where what these do/did (and what to do instead, what replaces them) can be found?
A resource that can be used in the help manual is the 'History' page. You can find the 'History' page by either searching for history or using the table of contents (it's the last entry). This lists when each version was released and a brief list about what was added, removed, or changed in that version. So you would search that history page for 'CreateGadgetList()' to find listed under "16th December 2008 : Version 4.30", the statement "- Removed: CreateGadgetList(), now automatically done in OpenWindow()". It isn't foolproof, sometimes modifications are summarized as 'a library being changed' (i.e. listed under "8th May 2006 : Version 4.00", is the statement "Optimized: File library completely rewritten and now handle a read/write cache for very fast performances. Also support for 64-bit files." This method is especially helpful for when the name of a function was simply changed or if it's parameters were updated.

Another method is searching the forum. This can help date the use of a command so that you can also look it up in the History section under a particular release of PureBasic. Another source for a little bit of additional help with later changes see the link to the Migration Guide below.
I cannot find where to set up preferred default folders/directories.
In the Manual under Customizing the IDE. Scroll down to 'Editor' to read about setting a Source Directory.
And what does the LTS stand for[?].
Here is a definition from the Help file under the Migration Guide.
NaomiSloan
New User
New User

Re: Hello all, testing demo, have a few general questions

Post by NaomiSloan »

Hi Demivec.

Thank you for the welcome. :)

And thank you for the responses, very helpful! :)