encrypt sqlite

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
boyoss
User
User

encrypt sqlite

Post by boyoss »

hello
is it possible to encrypt a database sqlite, and to connect to it with

Code: Select all

OpenDatabase(0, "db.sqlite", "name", "pass")
acreis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: encrypt sqlite

Post by acreis »

No.
boyoss
User
User

Post by boyoss »

thanks
maybe there is another solution, i don't want anybody can open my db, and i also don't want to use a server...
:?: :?: :?:
juror
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by juror »

There's an encryption add-on via the sqlite organization which is quite expensive (thousands)

Most of the rest of us just encrypt the sqlite data ourselves, which isn't that much work utilizing PB's cipher tools.
boyoss
User
User

Post by boyoss »

much thanks
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

Sorry for bringing back to life this old thread. I managed to create a sqlite db with the sample code PB gives. Then, with the latest version of SQLiteManager, I added a password to the db. Every time I run SQLiteManager, the password is requested to acess the db but PB cannot access the db. OpenDatabase() seems to access the db regardless if I give the password as parameter or not but no result is returned in both cases. So, is there a way to access the db from PB?
kpeters58
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by kpeters58 »

No! Don’t mistake Sqlabs’ proprietary encryption for anything ‘official’ - the old statements are still true: There is no affordable, widespread dB encryption for SQLite. As per PB documentation, the username and password parameters are simply ignored.
PB 5.73 on Windows 10 & OS X High Sierra
the.weavster
Addict
Addict

Post by the.weavster »

Isn't this what you want?
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

the.weavster wrote:Isn't this what you want?
Currently, I am using PB 5.62 and this version does not accept custom library. I will wait for 5.71 stable to check it out.
Derren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Derren »

Can you load the whole Database, query * over all tables and decrypt every single column with any algorithm you want?
It would probably take some time, but if you want encryption, it's expected (unless it takes ages).
You work with this decrypted Database in memory and at the end, you encrypt everything and put it back into a file.
Downside: Ending the program also takes some time, which is frowned upon.
doctorized
Addict
Addict

Post by doctorized »

Derren wrote:Can you load the whole Database, query * over all tables and decrypt every single column with any algorithm you want?
It would probably take some time, but if you want encryption, it's expected (unless it takes ages).
You work with this decrypted Database in memory and at the end, you encrypt everything and put it back into a file.
Downside: Ending the program also takes some time, which is frowned upon.
Most important downside: what happens when suddenly ac power gets off and your desktop pc closes? Every write operation is lost. The best way is to write/read data encrypted. You have some tenths of a second delay but you know that the data are saved and encrypted.