fmod or bass.dll?

Just starting out? Need help? Post your questions and find answers here.
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by ricardo.

Hi,

Im testing both trying to choose one, there are very similar and nice.
My particular opinion is that fmod is a little more stable but bass.dll are easier to code.

I want to ask you opinions about them before choosing one. Im developing a mp3 player.

Best Regards

Ricardo

Dont cry anymore...:)
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by Inner.

FMod, if your planing on freeware for non-freeware applications you need to pay big money for rights to do so.

Bass, don't know much about it.

Over all I personaly go for fmod because I only write freeware applications.
BackupUser
PureBasic Guru
PureBasic Guru

Post by BackupUser »

Restored from previous forum. Originally posted by ricardo.

Both have the same kind of licence, freeware for freeware applications and licence from $100 US for small shareware developer and up tp $2,500 US por big companies.

Best Regards

Ricardo

Dont cry anymore...:)
Froggerprogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Froggerprogger »

Okay, here I write it all again :roll:
I hope, I get it all together:

Fmod = Bass:
- a fast and powerful audio-engine
- (internet-)streaming and sampleplayback
- custom samples and stream
- free designable DSP-chain
- EAX and many other specials
- very good .chm-documentation-help-file
- expensive license-fee for non-freeware

Fmod > Bass:
- Fmod has Crossplatform-Support for Win32, Linux, Mac, PocketPC and Consoles with the same API-syntax - Linux-license is always included for free.
- a well-structured and frequently used forum for the direct contact to the developer and other competent user
- great email-support
- I've worked a lot with it since some months, and it IS very stable, professional and easy2use - but I never used bass, so I cannot compare it. (I just tried the blitzbass-wrapper with blitzbasic one year ago.)
- there's already a PB-Import for the whole Fmod-API of version 3.61 to call all Fmod-functions directly.
- fmod 4.0 is coming out in some months - totally rewritten for all systems for perfect harmony - and will be without competition in my eyes
- here's an old speed-comparison : http://www.fmod.org/fmodcomp.html
(- PB and FMOD have changed thei versionnumber from 3.61 to 3.62 at nearly the same time and perhaps to 4.0, too ? ;-) )

Bass > Fmod:
- Bass has already full Shoutcast-Support - Fmod not (you have to use
the external dsp_sc.dll until now)
- ? perhaps there's some more, that I just don't know.

I'm very interested in other opinions, too.
%1>>1+1*1/1-1!1|1&1<<$1=1
ricardo
Addict
Addict

Post by ricardo »

Froggerprogger

Thanks for your opinion.

Im woking basically with DSP in both (fmod and bass.dll), i think that bass.dll its a little more easier if you want to use DirectX SFX, for all the other things (specially using your own DSP processor) both are almost the same.
I have the impression, but im not sure about it, that fmod is a little more stable.

Im not sure because i develop two different DSP with many differences, the DSP part are great in both.
Im now planning to try the DirectX SFX in fmod to see if its as easy as in bass.dll

I know that one alternative for my plans is to compile my own mp3-decoder-player in C++ and try to do the same. Its not difficult since i already have my own mp3-decoder-encoder in C++ and just need a little changes to adapt it to this new project, but fmod and bass.dll are much more than a simple decoder-player...

Thats why im interested in other opinions :wink:
ARGENTINA WORLD CHAMPION