WinUAE crashed by PB

AmigaOS specific forum
sire
New User
New User

WinUAE crashed by PB

Post by sire »

I just installed PureBasic on my WinUAE Amiga and discovered a strange and quite annoying behaviour. Everytime a program is terminated which got started out of the PB editor, WinUAE locks up. Right, it's not only PB on the emulated Amiga or the emulated Amiga itself, it's WinUAE which dies. Pretty extreme.

However, apparently other people seem to successfully use PB on WinUAE, so I wonder what could be the reason. Neither does it help to disable PB's debugger, nor booting the Amiga without startup-sequence and barely running PB, so nasty conflicting patches can't be the reason.

I tried several different example codes which came with PB, no wicked hacks involved therefore. Anyone with a clue what could be wrong? I'm currently working on a project where using PB on WinUAE instead of an original Amiga would make things much easier, so any help would be very appreciated.
Inner
PureBasic Expert
PureBasic Expert

Post by Inner »

not entirely suprised, WinUAE the last (latest) version I downloaded is natoriously buggy, it even crashes on simple workbench stuff, I'm sure they'll fix it all, "eventually".
sire
New User
New User

Post by sire »

I tried it with an older version of WinUAE as well as with the newest (just released yesterday). Same bug. But how is it that there seem to be people who run PB on WinUAE without this problem? I read on this board that even the developer of PureBasic uses WinUAE to develop the Amiga version! Just a rumour?
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

have not use latest winuae to test pb but i had no problems with erlier versions 0.8.23 etc
but i alwyas had problems with debugger enabled

also do you use JIT with 8mb cahce and check the "after picasso" settiing ?

and yes fred develops for some time now pb under winuae (dunno if lately finaly getz a Amiga1 or Pegasos (think we all hope ,and promised updae offcourse;)))
Christos
sire
New User
New User

Post by sire »

JIT cache set to 8 MB, after picasso switched on, PB debugger disabled - WinUAE still crashes. :(
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

maybe a problem with a specific patch in amigaos
try booting from a plain workbench disk (not modified)
and kickstart3.1 (pb needs no installation)
and try to compile a simple app i.e window.pb
Christos
sire
New User
New User

Post by sire »

As mentioned, I even tried booting without startup-sequence to avoid problems with patches. Didn't help, unfortunately.
Psychophanta
Addict
Addict

Post by Psychophanta »

Sire,
perhaps there are something wrong in your WinUAE configurations.
Try to use 0.8.23 version and change your WinUAE config testing & trying. :roll:
sire
New User
New User

Post by sire »

Well, Psychophanta, as you may guess I already fiddled around with some config settings. If I only knew a bit more about what to look for...

BTW: Compiled executables work just fine. So actually there is a way to use PB on WinUAE. It only is not possible to start a program directly out of the PB editor. Thus debugging is impossible as well. Although not entirely. Actually is possible to debug, only closing the program and returning to the editor doesn't work, as this would be the moment WinUAE gets crashed.

I suspect it could be due to some CPU exception tricks PB pulls off. Maybe. Who knows. And how to handle it?
plouf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by plouf »

if you have time take a visit at irc at 22:00-23:00 GMT+2
i am very curius to see this and examine it
give you my config etc
Christos
BalrogSoft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BalrogSoft »

Hi, i tryed last version of WinUAE v0.8.24, and Purebasic 2.90, and works peferctly, with purebasic editor, with debugger mode, creating executables, all. Here is my complete config, only options that are enabled, if are not listed, are disabled:

RAM:
Chip - 2mb
Fast - 8mb
Slow - 1.5mb
Z3-Fast - 16mb
RTG - 32mb

ROM:
kickstart 3.1.rom
ShapeShifter support

CPU:
CPU Type - 68040
CPU Emulation Speed - Fastest possible
JIT Settings:
Cache Size - 2mb
Const Jump
FPU Support
Force Settings
No Flags
Indirect

Display:
FullScreen
Correct aspect ratio
Centering:
Horizontal
Vertical
Line mode:
Doubled

Chipset:
AGA
Fast Copper
Collision level:
Sprites only

Sound emulation:
Enabled, 100% accurate
Sound buffer size - 3
Hi-Toro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Me too

Post by Hi-Toro »

I get exactly the same result as Sire, and have on all previous versions of WinUAE for the last couple of years -- executables run but freeze WinUAE or cause a 'Guru' when run from the editor.

Inner: surprised to hear you have such problems -- WinUAE has always been very stable for me in the Workbench environment.

I know Fred develops Amiga PB on WinUAE, so no idea what the problem could be!
James Boyd
http://www.hi-toro.com/
Death to the Pixies!
Doobrey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Me too

Post by Doobrey »

The only way I can get PB to work is to turn off the debugger, and never do a compile&run.. just create the exe in ram: and run it from the CLI.
Unfortunatly, that means all debugging is done through loads of PrintN("var1="+str(var1)) etc .. but hey, it works..
Mind you, even then after 6 or 7 compiles, I have to reboot cos PB starts compiling my program as a resident instead of executable, and fills my HD with junk :evil:

Gotta say, PB creates even smaller exes on the Amiga than it does on Winblows.
I did some stuff the other day, just playing around.. 780 byte exe files 8O