IDE: Plugin system via PBI files

Got an idea for enhancing PureBasic? New command(s) you'd like to see?
Mistrel
Addict
Addict

Re: IDE: Plugin system via PBI files

Post by Mistrel »

TI-994A wrote:
the.weavster wrote:Perhaps this could also be integrated with an official repository where trusted contributors could upload the most recent version of their include file(s) and the IDE will list what's available and retrieve any the user selects.
This sounds like a very good idea. +1
I disagree. What if the interface or functionality changes? Suddenly all of your code breaks.

There is already a solution for this: it's called git. You can already share repositories like this through github.
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

Mistrel wrote:I disagree. What if the interface or functionality changes? Suddenly all of your code breaks.

There is already a solution for this: it's called git. You can already share repositories like this through github.
Perhaps you're confusing this suggestion with the OP.

Having access to code repositories from within the IDE, for selective inclusion, is a very good idea, and has also been implemented in major development studios. The snippets and plugins could be tagged with version and platform compatibility information, and the selections would then be downloaded for static inclusion; not dynamically linked from the repository. Ultimately, it would be up to the programmer whether or not to use them.

Nothing changes, nothing breaks. :wink:
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
walbus
Addict
Addict

Post by walbus »

If there are new PB versions, incompatibilities are often found by chance.
I've seen this many times before.
Often it is very difficult to limit the error.
A stranger would probably despair if he fixed a hidden bug in BF when I'm away from PB
It's no secret that I'm not very happy with PB's support
It can't and won't work
TI-994A
Addict
Addict

Post by TI-994A »

walbus wrote:If there are new PB versions, incompatibilities are often found by chance ... A stranger would probably despair if he fixed a hidden bug in BF...
Such a repository would merely comprise of third-party resources, and not an integral part of native PureBasic functionality. It's a matter of convenience, although the benefits far outweigh the occasional blip.

Use it, don't use it, we have a choice. :)
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer: the first home computer with a 16bit processor, crammed into an 8bit architecture. Great hardware - Poor design - Wonderful BASIC engine. And it could talk too! Please visit my YouTube Channel :D
thanos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by thanos »

+1
» myPersonal Banker :: Because you do not need to have a master degree in economics in order to organize your finances!
HeX0R
Addict
Addict

Post by HeX0R »

...or use the PB board as repository and use HTTPInclude :wink: