Google 2017 -- time to rest on history side

For everything that's not in any way related to PureBasic. General chat etc...
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Google 2017 -- time to rest on history side

Post by Lunasole »

Hi.

Topic header is full of pathos ^^
While contents is more prosaic: I've seen some interesting post about modern Google "policy" and posting it here (just because it's one of not too many en-speaking forums where I'm sitting):
https://vivaldi.com/blog/google-return- ... eing-evil/

There is nothing much new of course (years ago It was clear that Google often uses it's powers like another dictator in another totalitarian country [mostly, to destroy 'opposition'], just Google became such dictator over WEB). But it's really nice to see such blame posted in public, even if they are so awfully tolerate/restrained and politically correct :)

I personally dislike Google services and activity for a lot of reasons over recent years.
The worst is it doesn't limited to Internet anymore, it spreads from all the holes in real life, just like some cancer. Google owns Android, owns Chrome, has own DNS servers, controls SSL certificates authority, it sets up all the web rules, and much more. It also owns you, if you are active user of it's services.
Theoretically It can do so many questionable manipulations, that it is almost just 1:1 like in some movies about GLOBAL EVIL CORPORATION. Too much abilities, which may be easily turned (and already are episodically) to something much serious than just extracting money from users time waste and web-activity.

Well, I'd say more and clearer, but it is hard to do in english, so enough ^^
Anyway, because of all that I'm trying to not use that questionable and bloated up corporation services anymore.

For example, regular search I've replaced with that DuckDuckGo, it's really nice and enough for most cases ( https://duckduckgo.com/ ).
Replacing GMail is even lesser problem, as well as secondary useless things like "Google Docs".
While Chrome is zero problem, as I didn't ever liked and used that fancy one-button trojan.

And what do you think about modern Google/Alphabet?
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
Dude
Addict
Addict

Re: Google 2017 -- time to rest on history side

Post by Dude »

Lunasole wrote:I personally dislike Google services and activity for a lot of reasons over recent years.
The worst is it doesn't limited to Internet anymore, it spreads from all the holes in real life
How does Google affect me when I'm offline?
Lunasole
Addict
Addict

Post by Lunasole »

Dude wrote: How does Google affect me when I'm offline?
Well I don't think it affects you right now with some direct impact (except maybe those spying googlemachines). It still doesn't has enough real world powers (but it works on that flaw going to politics, extending it's activity to various "offline" businesses, etc, so maybe somehow in future ^^).
"W̷i̷s̷h̷i̷n̷g o̷n a s̷t̷a̷r"
infratec
Always Here
Always Here

Post by infratec »

Dude wrote:How does Google affect me when I'm offline?
Hm... there drive a car through your street, makes pictures of your garden and your house ...
your car and your motorbike in front of the garage
and showing these pictures in the internet.

And they don't ask you if you allow this.
You have to tell them that you don't want this.

I think this affects your life.

Bernd
Dude
Addict
Addict

Post by Dude »

Nah, doesn't bother me if a photo is taken of my house from the street. Anyone walking or driving past can see that. It's a public view.